Severely under MFP calorie goal!

Options
help! I have been really good about eating meals and snacks and taking my vitamins, but I'm still extremely under my calorie intake goals! I'm trying to maintain a carb intake UNDER 100 grams. Could you guts take a look at my diary and give me some tips? Should I be concerned about my body starving?!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd have to worry, since yesterday you only ate 647 calories worth of food and exercised for 600. ..

I'd look at the Atkins diet if you want to eat fewer carbs.. more meat, bacon with your breakfast maybe? Bigger servings of meet with your owher meals
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to do low carb, you need to actually up your protein and fat consumption. You can change your macronutrient goals in the customize goals link under the "Goals" tab. Basically it looks like you're eating less carbs without replacing those calories with proteins and fats. It doesn't look like you're vegetarian, so MOAR MEAT!
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    You're diary looks really light! They say you should eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day and just looking at your past couple of days, you're around 650-1000. I personally would increase my intake if I were you. I'm not a expert or anything, so just giving you my opinion that you should start eating more or your body will most likely start holding on to fat and eating muscle when you work out. I don't always eat my exercise calories back, but I've read a lot of posts where people do and have found it very effective. But even if you don't want to do that, I would at least recommend eating the MFP recommended amount that doesn't include your exercise.

If you don't want a lot of carbs, eat more protein!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You should be concerned, that is not enough food. If you don't give your body the fuel it needs to burn fat it burns muscle or you have the starvation issue. Lunches were ok but breakfast and dinner are not enough and only one day was the protein okay.

Add more lean protein and veggies for fiber and make sure you are drinking your water and you should have better results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should not have less than 1200 plus eating back what you burn so if you burn 400 calories, you should not get under 1600 (1200+400) Instead of focusing on grams of carbs, try focusing on the % of calories from carbs. You are going to sabotage yourself doing it the way you are now. Carbs can be your friend, just make sure they come from the right source. Things low in carbs are meat and veggies. Eat more veggies and larger portions of meet, you can also add olive oil to soups and sauces. Try avocado, if you are having milk products, eat higher MF% versions of the same thing (instead of 0% yogurt, go for 2%) Add nuts, seeds and or nut butters to you diet.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would worry about that low of a calorie intake also - it could really slow down your metabolism and make it harder for you to loose weight. I would try putting in more low-carb, protien - like the chicken - and also put in much more veggies and fruit. You really don't want to slow down your body by doing too low of calories - it is hard to kick-start the weight loss again.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Why the focus on the carbs? We are giving the allotment to follow...for example I get to eat 187 carbs a day...and usually I don't reach that. My main focus is on Sodium intake and on Calorie intake. And even then I don't so much focus on Calories intake as much as I do Net Calorie intake. The Net calorie intake should be 1200, not just the calorie intake for the day but eating back the exercise calories to equal 1200 total calories taken in for the day (your body uses calories when exercising and you need to eat above 1200 or it will stop you from loseing weight). Also a lot of foods have good carbs like fruits and everything...I wouldn't worry about that just about the netting over 1200 a day and sodium. You will be surprised at the weightloss if you Net at least 1200 a day (that's a minimum net) and keep the sodium down and drink a lot of water. Looking through your diary you have rarely netted 1200. I say work on that. I hope that helps. Good luck :)
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert and haven't looked at your diary but add the higher calorie healthy fats like avacado, olive oil, nuts those rack up calories AND fill you up. bonus! If you're eating anything low fat low calorie etc switch back to regular stuff.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    NUTS!!! literally...all kinds of nuts that will up your calorie and still keep you in a low count on carbs
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    carbs don't really matter that much. you are outting your heart in jepordy by eating only 600 calories a day especially when you burn 600. that's a road to an eating disorder
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

You are never going to lose the 75 lbs this way. You are going to lose a lot of muscle which will slow your metabolism and regligate you to eating 1200 calories a day or under forever. I understand the carbs, I do, I'm sensitive to them. But you need some. And you need protein to stop you from losing muscle. The weight you're losing now is water. It will stall. Up your calories to a normal level 100-200 calories a day for a week, and keep adding till you hit the minimum 1200. If you are 75 lbs overweight, you need about 1600 calories a day just to breathe.

Please, stop starving yourself and just eat :flowerforyou:
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The whole carb thing is just a sham--carbs do NOT make you fat. Don't worry about them anymore.
    I think your food diary looks fine except for the McDonald's part.
    The only carbs you need to avoid are refined carbs--white bread, white rice, stuff like that--they've been overly
    processed to the point of having pretty much no nutrition.
    Other than that carbs are actually really good for you.
    One suggestion I have is if you're using regular milk in your ceral switch to soy, rice, or almond milk.
    Dairy does make you fat, like really bad. Plus dairy has caesin, a protein which is considered one of the worst
    carcinogens.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Take for example your dairy from yesterday. You're not even eating the serving sizes suggested by the foods.

A serving of your cereal is 3/4 of a cup...you could up yours from 1/2 to 3/4.

A SERVING of chicken is 4oz...so you could have easily had 4oz-6oz of chicken to make up those calories. You could add a potato or a salad to your dinner to round it out or some fruit.

You have so many calories left you could even do regular ice cream (serving size-portion control) and still come under.

You need to be hitting at least 1200 calories and upping your water intake.

I agree with her ^^. Carbs don't make you fat. I eat bread everyday! I consistently lose...it's all about portion control and exercise.
  • alliebe
    alliebe Posts: 21
    Options
    YIKES! You need more protein for sure. If you like peanut butter try adding some peanut butter on an apple or banana or 100% whole wheat mini bagel. Remember fat is big and ugly, muscle is small and helps burn more calories. You do not want to add fat and loose muscle.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Add a handful of almonds, a tablespoon of peanut butter on celery or by itself, a tablespoon of olive oil to your cooking, and some greek yogurt as a snack. That is very little in the way of bulk, but very good in terms of healthy calories and fats/proteins. None of it has much in the way of carbs.

It really is important to meet your calorie goals as your body will eventually adapt to such low calories and you may plateau with nowhere to go (ie: if you are already at 600 calories a day, you can't drop them any to break a plateau).
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with other people here - you really shouldn't be under your BMR (basal metabolic rate, or the amount of calories you would burn in a day if you just laid in bed and did nothing - for most people, this is at least 1200, though the more muscle you have, the higher it is).

For a personal anecdote, I was doing what you were doing - working out 2-5 hours per day and eating less than 1200, and I couldn't get myself to lose weight! I was so frustrated and upset. Since I've joined MFP, I've made myself get at least within 500 of the number they say I should get to (including eating back the burn), and I've been dropping weight so easily!

It's OK to eat - it's even a good thing!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The whole carb thing is just a sham--carbs do NOT make you fat. Don't worry about them anymore.
    I think your food diary looks fine except for the McDonald's part.
    The only carbs you need to avoid are refined carbs--white bread, white rice, stuff like that--they've been overly
    processed to the point of having pretty much no nutrition.
    Other than that carbs are actually really good for you.
    One suggestion I have is if you're using regular milk in your ceral switch to soy, rice, or almond milk.
    Dairy does make you fat, like really bad. Plus dairy has caesin, a protein which is considered one of the worst
    carcinogens.

Dairy doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn is what makes you fat, regardless of the source of calories.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    WIYO! LET'S NOT MAKE THIS ANOTHER CARB ARGUMENT KTHNX?!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Any kind of oil will add fat without carbs. Nuts, protein powders, etc. Good job at recognizing the problem!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You are severely low on protein first of all which is generally low or no carb. Eat lean protein like chicken and turkey. Also, as long as the carbs are GOOD carbs like fruit or complex like whole wheat or steal cut oats or something I wouldn't worry about that either. You NEED those carbs for energy and if you go too low too long you could really mess yourself up. Just Avoid WHITE which are usually the carbs you want to avoid. For example white breads, white sugar, white flour. Those are the ones you should steer clear of. Otherwise don't sweat it.