Working out while sick

Options
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently getting over a cold, and am on the back end ( thank goodness). I haven't worked out for the duration of my illness, because I read somewhere that when you have a cough it's really not good. I tried doing my regular workout today, but when I was trying to catch my breath I started coughing violently, so we're not going there again.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good workouts or types of excersises to do while you're sick, because I'm tired of lying around doing nothing!

Thanks!

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The best workout whilst sick is the one where you rest and wait till you're better.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Exercising can compromise your immune system further. Plus if you work out in public you can get other sick as well.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If anything you can still stretch
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone work out while sick? Nap, drink tea, watch mindless TV, and take a break from normal life.
  • ekat1257
    ekat1257 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I've been sick since Tuesday, and I don't workout during any of the days where I could breathe because of congestion and was coughing like crazy. At this point, my body has healed and I only have a cough leftover, but it's not awful. So I'm wondering how to ease my way back into my schedule. I know heavy cardio or HIIT would be awful, but maybe Pilates?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just don't be sedentary. Take a few walks, get out and run your errands, maybe yoga if it's not too strenuous.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    The best workout whilst sick is the one where you rest and wait till you're better.

This. I'm sick, I rest. The only thing I will train through is asthma flare ups, and I super extend my rest periods to accommodate.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    exercise while ill can and usually will further compromise your immune system...it's ok to rest...healthy and fit people rest.

of course, the more sick you are, the more rest you will need. if I have a cold or something I don't do much more than walk and do my day to day...i don't need to be sitting around on the couch or anything, but I'm also not going to go out on a 50 mile ride or hit the weight room for some snatches or anything like that...rest is important to recovering from illness.

If I have much more than a cold, I spend a good bit of time in bed or on the couch.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Walking is all I do when I'm ill.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If you are up to it, do some body work at home, or find a video to follow.
    If you still have symptoms, coughing etc, please stay away from the gym or classes.

Compromising ones own health is a conscious decision; compromising other people's health is your conscious decision, not theirs.

Get well soon.
    Cheers, h.