Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm having a hard time meeting protein goals..help would be appreciated!

Hey everyone, I just recently got back into using MFP after a very long break due to surgery and life stressors. I had lost 97lbs from Feb '13 - Dec '13 and went from 262 to 165. I would say the first 60lbs was my "dieting" and working out, and the last bit was me getting sick all the time. Then I had my surgery. Once I was able to eat normally again I gained some of my weight back and plateaued. I'm now stuck at 195 and I want to get back down to 165 or 160. I've started a new job (desk job) and have been working out for the last three weeks with a good mix of strength training and HIIT cardio.

I am trying hard to eat cleaner than before. To be honest I am feeling pretty awesome for sticking to working out and making better food choices. But I am having SUCH a hard time reaching my protein goal of 130g per day. I average anywhere from 40-70 but rarely manage to get higher than that.

I have been getting sick from chicken as of late, and I don't eat fish.... that takes a lot of options away. I'm a bit of a picky eater too...so that makes it worse. I've been thinking of incorporating protein shakes into my daily routine but even that doesn't seem like it will help me reach 130g.

I really want to lose weight and then build my muscle back up after that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am just so frustrated and overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    I'm a vegetarian- I eat a whole lot of tofu, soy products, beans, protein bars (if you aren't opposed) and protein powder.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I also have trouble meeting my protein . I don't like the taste of chicken or fish. I use two scoops of protein powder a day ( just go to your local health store or gnc or vitamin shop and buy one there. Do not order mlm shakes from people on here trying to sell crap. )
    Then I add in plenty of Greek yogurt. With two servings of each, paired with the rest of my diet , I was able to bring it up without having to eat foods that I don't like.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I get most of mine from chicken, tuna, eggs & eggwhites, Greek yogurt, beans, milk, cottage cheese, fetta, whey protein.

Have you tried edamame, tofu, seeds, nuts?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I find it difficult to meet my protein goals because I'm not crazy about meat, other than seafood. I don't dislike it, but it's never what I'm looking forward to eating.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian- I eat a whole lot of tofu, soy products, beans, protein bars (if you aren't opposed) and protein powder.

I've made tofu before several times different ways and just can't find a way that makes it even remotely palatable to me. I like beans, but after my GI surgery...it causes too much built up gas in my stomach that only has one way of escaping since I can't even burp now... not ideal lol. I just went out tonight and got some Gold Standard Whey protein powder. I think I'm going to aim for 2 scoops a day. I haven't found protein bars that aren't loaded with carbs and sugar.... what brand/type do you get?
  • samanthajade124
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I also have trouble meeting my protein . I don't like the taste of chicken or fish. I use two scoops of protein powder a day ( just go to your local health store or gnc or vitamin shop and buy one there. Do not order mlm shakes from people on here trying to sell crap. )
    Then I add in plenty of Greek yogurt. With two servings of each, paired with the rest of my diet , I was able to bring it up without having to eat foods that I don't like.

I like Greek yogurt...but only the flavored ones. I jave tried adding in honey, fresh fruits, granola, you name it. It's just too bitter for me. How do you prepare yours?
  • samanthajade124
    I get most of mine from chicken, tuna, eggs & eggwhites, Greek yogurt, beans, milk, cottage cheese, fetta, whey protein.

I love egg whites (never been a fan of egg yolk) so my breakfast is usually 4 egg whites with whole grain toast. I like dry roasted edamame but not cooked. Tofu.... I've never found a way to make it palatable. Seeds and nuts in general are great....but I'm trying to keep my fats under 30 g per day so it adds up quickly. How do you prepare your tofu?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    If you're looking for a good protein shake, I use Bariatric Fusion. It has a good nutrition profile for the calories and I love the flavors.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Guys, besides the obvious meat choices there's plenty you can do to meet protein goals. Mine is way higher than yours, OP and I meet it no problem usually without needing shakes. Just make sure to add a good serving with EVERY single meal - at least 20g. x5 meal that's 100 grams right there.

Then like I said - think outside the box. I ALWAYS have lentils and I feel they help me reach my protein goals if I have them twice a day. Beand and pulses in general are a good idea to help. Broccolli and so on :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member

I love egg whites (never been a fan of egg yolk) so my breakfast is usually 4 egg whites with whole grain toast. I like dry roasted edamame but not cooked. Tofu.... I've never found a way to make it palatable. Seeds and nuts in general are great....but I'm trying to keep my fats under 30 g per day so it adds up quickly. How do you prepare your tofu?

Is there a reason you're trying to keep your fats down? I find fats often go along with my protein choices.

I usually use firm tofu in stir fries - i marinade it in lime juice, soy sauce, chilli and garlic. Have you tried silken tofu? You can blend it into smoothies and puddings.

Have you tried different brands of Greek yoghurt? I've found them to be quite different. I like Black Swan - it's creamy and a little tart. I have it plain or with some oats and chia seeds.

I also make my own protein balls with peanut butter, chocolate whey protein, ground flaxseed/LSA mix, honey and dark choc chips. Tastes like cookie dough!
  • samanthajade124
    andyluvv wrote: »
    Guys, besides the obvious meat choices there's plenty you can do to meet protein goals. Mine is way higher than yours, OP and I meet it no problem usually without needing shakes. Just make sure to add a good serving with EVERY single meal - at least 20g. x5 meal that's 100 grams right there.

Then like I said - think outside the box. I ALWAYS have lentils and I feel they help me reach my protein goals if I have them twice a day. Beand and pulses in general are a good idea to help. Broccolli and so on :)

Woth my work schedule I literally have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't have the option to take breaks. Just my 45 minute lunch. So even if I manage to get 20 grams in at each time I eat, that's only 60. What other kinds of things ate high in protein but low in carbs, fat, and sugar?
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    I have a very restricted diet due to an illness and always struggled with protein intake. I've been hiting my goal is 120+ for the past two weeks by adding eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, pb2 powder, protein bars.. I do eat salmon and tuna( but I know you don't like it)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I like to add a protein powder to my coffee for extra flavour and the protein boost. If you do baking, add it to your baking along with extra eggs, hemp and chia, or use coconut or almond flour.

130g of protein seems like a lot. Are you sure you need that much? I think I remember seeing most people need 0.8g protein per kilogram or 0.36g protein per pound. According to that, you may only need half as much protein per day, but I believe this is for sedentary.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    I chose to get my calories from protein and usually consume over 200g of protein daily. You're welcome to peek at my dairy
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    That figure fits with what you do. One of the local grocers here sells cartons of egg whites. Spendier than protein powder, but this I can dump into whatever because it's tasteless. Greek yogurt is good too, but to me it's like sour cream except I use as much as I want, haha.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Cottage cheese is a good low fat, low calorie source.
  • Sarri93
    Sarri93 Posts: 58 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I chose to get my calories from protein and usually consume over 200g of protein daily. You're welcome to peek at my dairy

We can't see your diary. I'm curious too actually.

My dad used to make pancakes with protein powder mixed in for more protein in the mornings. That's definitely an option. My mom does protein powder (or peanut butter but that's higher in fat) and cottage cheese into her oatmeal in the morning, so also another viable option if you wanted to try it. Have you tried looking up recipes with chicken in them? Chicken alone can get boring, I know. But I made this amazing chicken potato casserole that was so good. I'd have to take a peak at the nutritional content to see if it's too high in fat, but you could always sub low fat/fat free options in recipes.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    My diary is open and I reach 180 grams of protein daily, my staple protein sources are: Whey, Chicken, Egg whites, 1% cottage cheese, Feta Cheese, Quark, Ricotta , 97-99% Lean ground turkey/beef, Pork loin, deer/venison, Greek Yogurt, Pink salmon (which i know you said you don't like fish - but there is some non-fishy tasting fish out there to try like cod or tilapia),

Additional proteins in my diet that aren't meat/poultry include things like: Nuts, PB2, Lentils, Broccoli <-- which you should cook down or even turn into broccoli "rice" to limit gas/digestive issues.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Hey everyone, I just recently got back into using MFP after a very long break due to surgery and life stressors. I had lost 97lbs from Feb '13 - Dec '13 and went from 262 to 165. I would say the first 60lbs was my "dieting" and working out, and the last bit was me getting sick all the time. Then I had my surgery. Once I was able to eat normally again I gained some of my weight back and plateaued. I'm now stuck at 195 and I want to get back down to 165 or 160. I've started a new job (desk job) and have been working out for the last three weeks with a good mix of strength training and HIIT cardio.

I am trying hard to eat cleaner than before. To be honest I am feeling pretty awesome for sticking to working out and making better food choices. But I am having SUCH a hard time reaching my protein goal of 130g per day. I average anywhere from 40-70 but rarely manage to get higher than that.

I have been getting sick from chicken as of late, and I don't eat fish.... that takes a lot of options away. I'm a bit of a picky eater too...so that makes it worse. I've been thinking of incorporating protein shakes into my daily routine but even that doesn't seem like it will help me reach 130g.

I really want to lose weight and then build my muscle back up after that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am just so frustrated and overwhelmed. Thanks in advance!

According to http://nutritionfacts.org/video/changing-protein-recommendations/ Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org, getting half of your ideal body weight in pounds is adequate. I don't know if your goal weight and ideal weight are the same but if they are, then 80 would be fine according to his studies from that 2 min video.

Like you, I started getting sick of chicken and it was the only meat I was eating besides liver and salmon. I'd already gotten sick of beef and pork, so I started fretting about protein and found that most common recommendations are overstated and we don't nearly need as much. Now, I'm good with 60-70g protein as I consider my ideal weight between 120-130 and I'm at 126.

And most times I had to resort to protein powders to meet my previous goal of 100. As far as I'm concerned, that's a processed food. I prefer to get my nutrition from real food. So I eat lots of lentils and beans now.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member

I really want to lose weight and then build my muscle back up after that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am just so frustrated and overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance!

I found myself in a similar situation with not getting enough protein. Though I like most high protein meats, we just don't eat a lot of meat. Yesterday I ate a pound of strip steak and still had to eat a protein bar and Greek yogurt, and still fell short of my protein goal. For me being heavier (still 195+) on exercise days the protein goal is often upwards of 200 grams.

But there are plenty of great tasting protein bars, even at my local Wal-Mart. Similar to Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, you can select varieties with varied amounts of the fat and sugar balance depending on what you want or need. I haven't tried the Quest bars yet but have tried a good variety from Met-RX, Pure Protein, Premier Protein, and Six Star Pro Nutrition. Some of these can be had for a dollar or less, and will give you 20 grams of protein with around 6 grams of fat and sugar, and 200 or so calories. Some are even lower in fat or sugar.... just pick your poison.

A quick link I found online that shows a few of them....

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition-pictures/smart-protein-bar-picks.aspx#02

I haven't tried the powders or shakes yet, other than the ready made Muscle Milk type products. For me ready made products fit better into my day, but I plan on looking into stuff I can use as supplements at home for days that my meals lack major protein.