To eat before morning workouts?

Options
Hey everybody!

Just a quick question...Im going to be starting workouts in the morning, Im just not sure what I should have to eat before them. I plan on going to the gym after I drop my dd off at school. So I would say I will have about 30-45 mins from the time I get up to the time I'm ready to work out. Is that enough time to digest breakfast? Nothing too heavy as I don't want to feel sick during the workout but not too light as it won't give me enough energy. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You. don't have to eat before working out. Whether you do and what you eat is a personal preference.
  • liebchen99
    liebchen99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maybe just something light like a banana? i dont know really it depends how much energy you need
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when working out that soon after waking. Maybe some water or coffee, but that's it. It also depends on how long the workout is. I might eat a banana if going for an hour run away from the house, and have to add in the extra driving time back and forth.
  • treetownmama
    treetownmama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I worked out after waking up and not eating for 8+ hours, I'd feel horrible and have a bad workout. I eat a banana with a 1/2 T of peanut butter about an hour before my workout and it's perfect. Just enough energy without filling my stomach or being too heavy. Easy to put into a baggie for on the go, too. Or maybe mix up a small protein smoothie before you leave?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

I hate running immediately after eating so either won't eat before running in the morning or will just have a banana or yogurt if I can wait at least 15 minutes or so. But if I'm riding my bike or doing weights I'll eat first.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a huge bowl of oatmeal in the morning, including on days I have a morning workout. It takes me 30 minutes to go from oatmeal to the gym and I don't feel any adverse effects from my huge breakfast. I actually have better workouts in general in the mornings, probably from the easy access carbs.

I think everyone is different. Some people want to work out fasted and some want a full tummy. I think playing around to find out what your body likes is best.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've heard more than one account of people who don't eat before a morning workout but I just can't. I have something small like a piece of cheese and then breakfast after.
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I eat too soon before exercising I end up feeling like I'm going to vom or I actually do vom. Definitely a personal preference though. I need at least an hour between eating and exercising in the gym but can get away with like half an hour if I'm swimming or aqua jogging.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    This is totally up to you! I used to get up and head straight to the gym before eating but that's when I was running a lot - I found if I had eaten beforehand, I would get awful stitches and it would ruin the whole work-out. When I introduced strength exercises into the mix, I'd find I'd get a better work-out if I ate something small before I went (for me it was a banana mixed with natural yoghurt). Just a small energy boost so I'm not running on empty. It's really up to you :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've tried both ways, so you do what works for you personally. I work out better after I've eaten as it fuels me better...each to their own :smile:
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually wake around 4:50 and get to the gym around 5:30. I try to prepare a hard boiled egg or set aside 1/2 a protein bar and water the night before for the drive there. My workouts are usually 1.5-2 hours. It's a personal preference but without eating something dense and protein rich, I'm often nauseous 30 minutes into my workout. As others have said, it all depends on how YOU feel and what YOU'RE comfortable with.
  • emereey
    emereey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything or else I get side stitches or acid reflux, but I do get some caffeine in me. It took some trial and error to figure out what works for me. I never feel light headed or weak with no food before working out, but that's my personal experience. Find what works for you!
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It really is a personal preference, I do 1+ hours of cardio every morning and I always eat a egg and bowl of Cheerios along with a minimum of 32oz. of water every morning before going straight to working out. I never feel sick when I workout, I've found the egg and Cheerios are the perfect balance to last me until I make lunch later but really everyone is different, it's just figuring out what works best for your body :)
  • cullen1222
    cullen1222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should try both ways to see how you feel. Some people need some calories before a workout to give them energy and others work better on an empty stomach. For me the duration and intensity matter - if I'm biking or running for more than 60 min. I need something to eat and like 1/2 a PB&J on whole wheat with a small glass of juice. Shorter than that I prefer an empty stomach
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    whatever you prefer. If I ate before a morning workout, I'd puke. If you don't puke, eat. If you do . . don't.