Quick question, advice please

Options
I work out first thing in the morning, now should I eat breakfast(sometimes protein shake) first or wait to eat after exercising? I've always heard to eat at least 30 mins after waking up, but if your already in the zone, when do you chow? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    There is no set rule for this. Some folks can exercise well on an empty stomach; others need something to eat first; others split it and have a little before and and the rest after. It's purely what works for you and it won't affect your goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. Do whichever makes you feel best throughout the day.
  • Serendipity00
    Serendipity00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you! Wasn't sure if I was causing more harm than good. I appreciate the info.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Outside of athletes training, most of these little details make no difference to folks just trying to be fit.
    Best wishes to you.
  • davedavis
    davedavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good question! I drink a protein shake first thing in the morning, and another just after working out. Then I eat a healthy lunch and dinner. The calories in the morning seem to have less effect than later. I think it is because my metabolism is fired up.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat if I'm hungry. Only time I don't work out is if I'm very full to stuffed.
  • Serendipity00
    Options
    Definitely not a hardcore athlete in training lol. Just trying to feel healthy. Thanks again. Right davedavis?!? I noticed when I'd have one before exercising I would devour my mid breakfast/lunch snack. That's why I thought, maybe I should ask hahaha
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I tend to get very nauseous if I eat just before lifting or working out, so I wait until after. But do what feels best for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Timing of food has no impact on weight loss. Eat when you want to eat. Every other day I get up at 5:30 in the morning and immediately head out the door for a 3-4 mile run. I not only don't eat before my run, I rarely eat anything until I get to work at 8:00am.
  • Serendipity00
    Options
    I get up at 5am every morning and I'm glad to hear that I don't have to force myself to eat first thing. Thank you everyone for the great replies.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    just experiment and find what works best for you. personally, if I have carbs 45-60mins before I work out I seem to have more energy and can lift heavier than when Im on an empty stomach and eating right before I work out makes me feel sluggish. every body is different though :-)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have less energy if I eat first, and I get a stomach ache if I do so I don't eat 'till later. Just try a few ways and see what works for you.
  • Serendipity00
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate this group. I'll just listen to my body better.
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eat something either before or slightly into your workout. This really isn't a do whatever you feel like topic. If you're doing any type of long exercise at all your blood sugar can get dangerously low and cause you to lose conciousness and/or get stuck under a bar. Half a granola bar or small yogurt is fine as long as it's something. I had to carry a world class athlete back to his car one day when he got lazy and forgot to eat before a workout that wasn't even that hard. He couldn't walk on his own and was drifting in and out of conciousness. He had to have 2 years of periodic testing done to determine that it was just because he hadn't eaten and wasn't a more serious underlying problem.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    aaroessler wrote: »
    Eat something either before or slightly into your workout. This really isn't a do whatever you feel like topic. If you're doing any type of long exercise at all your blood sugar can get dangerously low and cause you to lose conciousness and/or get stuck under a bar. Half a granola bar or small yogurt is fine as long as it's something. I had to carry a world class athlete back to his car one day when he got lazy and forgot to eat before a workout that wasn't even that hard. He couldn't walk on his own and was drifting in and out of conciousness. He had to have 2 years of periodic testing done to determine that it was just because he hadn't eaten and wasn't a more serious underlying problem.

Most people's bodies are well equipped to maintain blood glucose so there is no hard and fast rule that says you should eat prior to working out. Of course if you feel dizzy then sit down and eat or drink something but most people can get through a standard workout without pre loading with carbs because their bodies intelligently manage glucose and insulin levels.I personally often don't eat just before a workout as I'd probably throw up halfway through! Occasionally I'll eat a banana or apple pre workout if I feel the need.
    Do what works for you!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    On paper, prefeeding before a harder-paced workout improves performance. However, there are a number of variables involved, so there is no set rule for everyone.

What I like to point out is that when "eating before a workout" does not mean having a full meal. It means a 100-200 calorie "snack"
  • Serendipity00
    Options
    It's very interesting to get different answers. I tried to research, but came up with the same dilemma. I greatly appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to try to eat something small(example banana) do my workout, then follow up with a protein shake and go from there. I workout by myself in the morning so passing out is not an option lol. Thank you everyone!