protein

Options
misssmiles
misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
Hello!! i have been on MFP since november and have seen a lot of information about protein and it seems that all my MFP friends are drinking some type of protein shake. My question is (and it is a elementary diet question) what does protein do for the body during weight loss? Why do we need it? and what would be the best type of protein supplement to add into my diet?

my diary is open if you would like to take a look and offer some advice.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Protein helps fuel the body and helps build muscle (muscle burns fat more efficiently), lean protein is very important for weight loss.

Good question.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you build muscle, especially when paired with some fat. It also helps to keep you full so that you aren't constantly hungry. The absolute best protein is from real sources, like meats, eggs, cheeses, nuts, and beans. As far as supplements, probably the number one consumed one is whey protein, which comes from dairy products. Each type has its different qualities, but whey tastes best to me. I've never been able to warm up to soy.
  • dgallop1221
    Options
    I am not sure what it is good for.... although, I don't eat wheat and constantly crave chocolate or candy, a homeopath Dr. recommended more PROTEIN! My cravings went away and I am WAY more satisfied.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you build muscle, especially when paired with some fat. It also helps to keep you full so that you aren't constantly hungry. The absolute best protein is from real sources, like meats, eggs, cheeses, nuts, and beans. As far as supplements, probably the number one consumed one is whey protein, which comes from dairy products. Each type has its different qualities, but whey tastes best to me. I've never been able to warm up to soy.
  • jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    it helps you repair the muscles after a vigorous work out and helps with your protein intake without all the fat from food :)
    (no expert here, but that's what I've been told hehe)
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    One thing protein does is help you feel full longer, minimizing the desire to eat so often. It also helps miminize how much you eat per sitting. Muscles need more protein to develop. I would say look for ways to add protein to your diet, rather than relying on shakes and suppliments. Even body builders don't really NEED them if they do their diet correctly, it's just and easy fix. And being too protein heavy in an extreme way (esp. if you aren't hydrated well enough) can cause kidney funtion problems.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Protein helps in a calorie deficit by preserving muscle tissue, which you tend to lose as well as fat. Since muscle is a great metabolism booster, you want to keep as much as you can. It also burns more calories digesting it than carbs or fats, and tends to keep you fuller longer.

I use whey protein by Jay Robb (made with stevia)

:smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post about protein, feel free to peruse it.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/a-primer-on-protein/
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle and muscle burns more calories then fat. Protein also helps repair muscles after a work out. MFP has it set to get 15% of your calories from fat, which is pretty low. I try to get 40% of my calories from fat (try to get close to 150g of protein/day). I get most of my protein from 'real foods' but also drink a protein shake after working out. I just make a smoothie and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder. I also sometimes have protein bars I like Pure Protein because they are low in sugar. Besides that I eat greek yogurt every day, cereals like Kashi Go Lean or grape nuts are high in protein, eggs, chicken, salmon, nuts are also good (but I don't like nuts, so i don't eat them).
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nutrition education by the USDA and FDA is not your friend. Just because they put the propoganda out there doesn't make it true. Do you own research.

Protein is good for making you gain weight. When used in combination with lots of exercise, that weight turns into muscle, since exerise increases muscle mass.

The average person consumes approx. twice the amount of protein their body actually needs.

Protein is good for bodybuilding. Protein is not necessarily good for dieting.

k
  • wstidolph
    wstidolph Posts: 20
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, protein helps you feel full, more so than eating fats and carbs for the same total calories. [1] You need to eat enough protein to support building (or repairing) your muscle mass - but don't go overboard, extremely high-protein diets can be dangerous: keep your protein calories at about a quarter of your total calories, and eating protein in small amounts frequently is much better than having a big steak ;)

The article at [2] is pretty technical but is a nice discussion of protein absorption rates if you're working on building muscle.

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18469287
    [2] http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/food-diet-nutrition-info/30666-interesting-article-protein-absorption.html
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Protein helps in a calorie deficit by preserving muscle tissue, which you tend to lose as well as fat. Since muscle is a great metabolism booster, you want to keep as much as you can. It also burns more calories digesting it than carbs or fats, and tends to keep you fuller longer.

I use whey protein by Jay Robb (made with stevia)

:smile:

+1

When losing weight, people generally lose a percentage of fat as well as muscle. Eating a high protein diet while in a caloric deficit helps spare muscle loss.

It also helps with satiety and helps maintain your metabolism.

One of my biggest surprises when setting up a high protein diet was the challenge of eating ALL the food I planned. It isn't easy....even though I was planning for a 400-500 calorie/day deficit! I felt like I was eating all the time.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    All of the above is pretty much correct.

Here's an interesting video discussing protien and amino acids and how your body utilizes it.

Keep in mind it's in a bodybuilding format...but the information is very, very accurate...pay close attention around 2:10:

http://youtu.be/oi-jnsG0Z7Y

Scooby rocks =D.