Before and after picture question

Options
I am new on this journey and I would like to document changes in photos for before and afters to help motivate others. I have over a 100lbs to lose. My question is for those who have or do document how frequent do you take pics. Every 10lbs, every 20lbs what seems to work best. Thanks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I could go back in time, I would take them each month. Even when you go through a period where you don't lose much, your body shape and appearance may change.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i did every 10-15lbs or after 3-4 months, here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10234505/my-many-picture-progression-from-285-to-200 is my collage along losing 85lbs (like 12 pictures of my progress).

it really helps when you've gone a period where you don't lose any weight but you can tangibly see the difference by comparing your picture from say 3 months ago, etc..
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I get a new size in clothes. I've lost 95 pounds. Started out wearing a WP20-WP22. I have my original photo and 5 progress photos. I'm in a 8P-10P now. I'm not done yet, but will probably take one at 100 pounds lost and then the last at goal.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I take one every month on the same day because some months I lose inches but not a lot of weight!
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I take them when I finish a program. I took one at the first of the month and will be taking one at the end. I don't know how much change I will see in that. I start something new this coming month and wont take another until the end of Oct. Pretty much just personal preference really.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I could go back in time, I would take them each month. Even when you go through a period where you don't lose much, your body shape and appearance may change.

Agreed!

I always forget and take them randomly. Wish I had been consistent through all of my ups and downs. Take a bunch! You can later pick and choose what you want to make public.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I took pictures every 25# lost. When my loss got slow - I haven't lost 25# in a year - I would take them on relevant dates; anniversary I started weight loss, my birthday.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i only do pictures once every 3 months or so. ive done 3 sets since january....
  • angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I take my pics every month or so. I wish I had been more consistent with the dates but each picture is still about a month apart. That way, I can compare to the previous month and to the very first one I took. It's really amazing to see the difference and it's great motivation to keep going!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I try to take pictures once a month. Usually try to take them at the same time as I weigh (first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything) that way my pics aren't thrown off by having a tummy full of food and such. I always try to take them in my bathroom so I get the same lighting every time (unlike taking them near a window which will let in various degrees of light and such)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a true before picture. I wish I had pictures from every month.

Don't be me.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    i did every 10-15lbs or after 3-4 months, here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10234505/my-many-picture-progression-from-285-to-200 is my collage along losing 85lbs (like 12 pictures of my progress).

it really helps when you've gone a period where you don't lose any weight but you can tangibly see the difference by comparing your picture from say 3 months ago, etc..
    your transformation is awesome in the link!!! how long did it take you to get there?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I use to take photos one day of every month but sence iam losing weight slowly now.. ill do it every 2-3months now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a true before picture. I wish I had pictures from every month.

Don't be me.

I have two before pictures--random candid shots, not official first day of weight loss pictures. I have hunted high and low but I seem to have avoided cameras from my mid-20s to mid- 30s extremely well. I also deleted most of my progress pictures within minutes of taking them. Oh well.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I didn't do an official before picture and I'm bummed about that! I didn't take one until about a month in. Now I take a picture every couple of months. Usually if I am feeling particularly good that day and like what I'm wearing, not on any set schedule.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 out of 150 goal pounds. Been at it 14 months. I have my trainer take pics every 3 months. I didn't like that he took the first one when I'm started, but now I'm so glad he did! He even posts my progress pics on the wall in the gym!!
  • vgarcia0819
    vgarcia0819 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I might be a little obsessive about it but I take 3 pics (front, side & back) every week bc I want to be able to create a fast moving slideshow that shows my loss over time. Every Thursday I take pics and do measurements also.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    I am new on this journey and I would like to document changes in photos for before and afters to help motivate others. I have over a 100lbs to lose. My question is for those who have or do document how frequent do you take pics. Every 10lbs, every 20lbs what seems to work best. Thanks.

Take a pic everyday and then edit the whole mess into a really cool video.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I take them each week I. The same spot and in the same spot
  • glowcap
    glowcap Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and did a photo after my second week. I was also wondering how often to take pictures, and once a month seems to be the average. Thanks!