Can your body adopt a new "set" point?

Options
I recently watched a TED talk about mindfulness eating and weight loss. The speaker said there was research that shows our body has a set point - - a weight that it wants to be. We can increase our set point easily, but lowering that point is super hard. When we lose more than this our bodies ramp up hormones and chemicals to get us to eat more and return us to our set point... An evolutionary tool to keep us from starving I guess. Has anyone here kept off the weight and feel like they have a new set point? (You stay around the same 10 lbs easily...or is every day a struggle still? http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had several set points. They are determined by your level of activity and how many calories you consume. If you're consistent about both of those for a while, your body will just agree to it.
  • AlexanderAmelia
    AlexanderAmelia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Yes, I've had several set points. They are determined by your level of activity and how many calories you consume. If you're consistent about both of those for a while, your body will just agree to it.

yup. mine is less now than it was two weeks ago.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I also have multiple set points.
    I think my current weight is my most natural set point. When I was trying to gain weight however I got stuck on 3 kg (6.6 lbs) lower than my current weight for quite some time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the set point theory. Our behavior determines our weight (fat %). Fat habits = fat body. I weigh less now than I did in junior high.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Old set point (ie before I started exercising and eating nutritiously) was 196-206. New (over 4 years now) set point is 142 (I'd prefer 138 but my body doesn't agree - ie it's a struggle). 145 is my "watch it" weight - usually only see that after vacations (ie don't exercise and eat what I want).
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think this has happened to me: My weight had crept up to nearly 90 kg (198lb) though it seemed quite stable thre. Then three years ago I lost just over 9kg. I put 5kg back on and my weight stabilised again at 86kg (which had been my stable weight for several years before the gain). This past year, I have lost 14kg, but put a couple back on over the summer, and it seems to be stable again at between 72 and 73kg (160lb). This is right in the middle of the normal bmi for me (I am 5'11" or now - according to the nurse at my local surgery - a little more), so I think I'll now aim to stay stable at 72-73 kg, wait six months and then decide if I want to lose another 3 to 5kg.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think of a set point as the weight that we can maintain fairly easily at a comfortable exercise level and a realistic calorie intake which is sustainable. I'm not too convinced that our bodies would fight to keep us at a particular weight, despite eating very little or a huge surplus.
    For me, my "set point" is 122-124lbs. That can be maintained very easily with my lifestyle. I like room for a few treats or the occasional splurge, and I can exercise enough to support that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure I buy the 'set point' theory. I mean yeah, when I was in France my set point was probably 170 pounds, but only because it's where I was with my diet and exercise... Then I moved here and I maintained at 200 pounds for 10 years eating whatever I wanted... but it's just the weight that was associated with my calorie intake (although I remember eating more than the 2400 calories I was supposedly eating to maintain that weight!).

What I do know is that I've been around 133 pounds for over a year, trying to lose more, and failing, and that's with being hungry a lot too and having to restrict myself quite a bit. But once again, it comes down to diet, I'd probably be at my goal weight if I was making better choices all the time. But I like having 200-300 calories of treats (you'd think it would be easy to fit in when maintaining at 2200 calories but NOPE), so it's a struggle every day.

But the thing is, if there was such a thing as a set point theory, we'd all be in the same boat. Everyone would struggle at maintenance, and there wouldn't be such a thing as people who 'can't eat 1200 calories because they are so full'... they'd all be hungry too because they would be under their set point.

So nope. It all comes down to your eating and exercising habits. Although it does seem at times (all the time really) that my body just doesn't want to get under 133 pounds.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the set point theory. Our behavior determines our weight (fat %). Fat habits = fat body. I weigh less now than I did in junior high.

This.

A set point is just when we are comfortable enough to start eating at maintenance....until we decide to start eating less calories than we burn to lose weight again (or more calories than we burn to gain weight).
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think separated twin stories are fascinating, and one commonality I've seen is that often the separated twins have similar physiques (and often clothing styles as well!) when they meet. Those twin studies add an interesting angle to the nature vs nurture argument. In general, I'm a nurture is more important believer, but those twin studies can make me doubt.

So... maybe there's something to the set point theory, and maybe the twin studies support it, but the fact is, your body can only be the size you let it be by the CICO calculation, so as long as you're the one in control, you'll beat out nature even if it does have some influence over what you would eat or how much you would exercise if you hadn't set a goal and made new habits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    set point theory in as much as you body wants to be a certain weight is pretty much bull...

I maintain pretty easy right around 180 Lbs...you could say that's my set point...but really, that's an easy weight for me to maintain because that is a level of consumption for which I am content with...this keeps me at around 12%...I can get down to about 175 and 10%, but that is harder for me to maintain...because I have to be a lot more strict with my diet...

that's it...
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    "The fact is, your body can only be the size you let it be by the CICO calculation."

Yes, agreed, but what I wonder is whether maintenance calories change somewhat with weight, so that (in my case) a regular higher calorie intake led to weight gain and then a fairly stable weight at 89kg, whereas a regular lower intake will lead to maintaining at at 85kg or (for slightly lower again) 75kg?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    "The fact is, your body can only be the size you let it be by the CICO calculation."

Yes, agreed, but what I wonder is whether maintenance calories change somewhat with weight, so that (in my case) a regular higher calorie intake led to weight gain and then a fairly stable weight at 89kg, whereas a regular lower intake will lead to maintaining at at 85kg or (for slightly lower again) 75kg?

of course your maintenance calories change with your weight...the smaller you are, the lower your calorie requirements are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    I think separated twin stories are fascinating, and one commonality I've seen is that often the separated twins have similar physiques (and often clothing styles as well!) when they meet. Those twin studies add an interesting angle to the nature vs nurture argument. In general, I'm a nurture is more important believer, but those twin studies can make me doubt.

So... maybe there's something to the set point theory, and maybe the twin studies support it, but the fact is, your body can only be the size you let it be by the CICO calculation, so as long as you're the one in control, you'll beat out nature even if it does have some influence over what you would eat or how much you would exercise if you hadn't set a goal and made new habits.

Well I have a twin sister and she's always hovered around 140 pounds, with the same activity level that I had when I was living in France (and I was 150 pounds). I have more muscle than she does though and a much larger appetite (she doesn't eat much but high calorie stuff). But our weights have always been different. The only common factor is that we both have a hard time staying under 135 pounds.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Since I don't believe in set point then yes, I believe you can adopt a new "set point." Your body stays at the weight that corresponds with the calories you give it and the activity you do. That's how I see it.

Yeah, exactly, it's completely lifestyle that determines it (although your body will tell you if you go *too* low). That said, there s a certain intake level that's psychologically sustainable. If maintaining weight X means never eating out with friends or family, that might be a relevant "set point" boundary
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The whole "set point theory" has been disproven, but maybe you're using it to mean something a little different.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Mine can.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have weighed within +/- 8 lbs. of 125 lbs. since I was 18 years old. The few times I varied outside of that range were related to very specific changes in my habits. I lost a bunch of weight during a particularly stressful couple months and later gained about 20 lbs. when I quit smoking. I have replaced smoking with regular exercise and lost that weight, but my body seems to "like" being around 125 lbs. I don't gain much weight without drastically increasing my intake; likewise, I don't lose much unless I reduce my intake to an unhealthy level.

My two cents. Obviously every individual is different, and my own personal set point will likely increase as I age.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I buy in completely to the set point idea, but if one exists, what seems to make sense is that our bodies have a set number of calories that it wants to burn. A man might consume 3,000 calories, which would be fine if he is active enough, but if he is sedentary, his body will put on weight until it is burning 3,000 calories. A thin person may be eating as much as a fat person, but the thin person has an easier time going to the gym, riding a bicycle, or doing physical labor. A fat person, is burning more calories on a regular basis, but the effort required to exercise prevents them from burning even more calories.