3D Gait Analysis

Options
I went to my local university's sports lab and had a 3d gait analysis done to try and explain why I keep getting shin splints. Prior to this, the local running store, after watching me run in the parking lot for 15 secs, placed me in a neutral shoe (Asics Cumulus 17). I am a new runner, doing C25K but keep getting shin splints starting on the inside, bottom,of my legs. I run slowly.

The results are that I over pronate in both feet, more so with the left (it always starts on the left side). I have low arches. Most of the problem areas, had to do with my ankles (being weak). My cadence is good, I don't heel strike.

They gave me strengthening exercises to do for my weak areas, like my ankles which I am starting to do. I bought some Asics GT-2000 2 (stability shoes) and ran in them hoping it would help. After 2 runs in them, I am starting to feel some pressure in the middle of my inside shin on the left instead of my lower shin like before.

I am at my wit's end. Should I buy some blue Superfeet and put them in the stability shoe also?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well, do you enjoy running as your primary exercise? You could do your cardio on machines such as a stair master as it is less load bearing. Or, quit cardio all together and pick up a lifting program.

Of course if you love running, then keep doing that :) also see a Podiatrist to find a solution
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    I went to my local university's sports lab and had a 3d gait analysis done to try and explain why I keep getting shin splints. Prior to this, the local running store, after watching me run in the parking lot for 15 secs, placed me in a neutral shoe (Asics Cumulus 17). I am a new runner, doing C25K but keep getting shin splints starting on the inside, bottom,of my legs. I run slowly.

The results are that I over pronate in both feet, more so with the left (it always starts on the left side). I have low arches. Most of the problem areas, had to do with my ankles (being weak). My cadence is good, I don't heel strike.

They gave me strengthening exercises to do for my weak areas, like my ankles which I am starting to do. I bought some Asics GT-2000 2 (stability shoes) and ran in them hoping it would help. After 2 runs in them, I am starting to feel some pressure in the middle of my inside shin on the left instead of my lower shin like before.

I am at my wit's end. Should I buy some blue Superfeet and put them in the stability shoe also?
    Thank you for any suggestions.

The longest distance you covered is?

Have you read an article in Runner's World about different shoes and why you might use them?

How much do you weigh?
  • adescut
    adescut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The longest distance I have covered after taking a month off to rest my shins is 2.2 miles, doing a run/walk combo on Week 3 of C25K.
    I just read the article.
    I weigh 151 lbs and am 5'8"
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    Should I buy some blue Superfeet and put them in the stability shoe also?

I wouldn't use both to start. Personally i'd use Superfeet in a shoe with a zero "heel to toe drop". Your Asics have a raised heel, which encourages overpronation and increases traction on the shins.
    Read some articles on how to transition to minimalist footwear, to avoid the common injuries associated with it.

In the mean time, cross train - cycling, strength training, etc. :+1:

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If try sticking to core training first. Doing more strength training and getting your hips strengthened (and all over body). Hip strength leads to more aligned leg gait, which leads to ankle stability. After a good month or so of that incorporate more SLOW running.