HELP! I need ideas guys!

Aviendha_RJ
Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok... I've stepped up my exercise routine right? I wanna break through my plateau right?

Now?! I think I might be starving! I can't STOP snacking! I've tried gum, but it gets spit out in favour of an apple, or a fat free yogurt, or a cereal bar. And, of course, the weight goes up.

The weird thing? I'm not gaining inches, so I think its muscle. But... this is really annoying! Does anyone have any ideas for appetite suppressants? Should I try diet pills or powders? What about whey protein powder? Does that stuff work, or does it make you bulk up? Anyone tried it & had it work? I've been going through this for over a week now, & I've gained 5lbs... & kept it on for about 10 days!

At first I thought it might be water retention, & maybe it was. But now I'm just SOOO hungry all day! I know that's a good thing & that my body's burning a lot of calories now, & that's why I want to eat so much. But... tips/tricks on not giving in?

Help please!

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Wow. No answers. :frown:
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    I'm no where near an expert here but I find that protein calms my hunger pangs while anything with sugar (natural or not) makes me hungry.
  • I have a few random suggestions.

First, I use Fiber powder- like benefiber or metamucil. I mix it with 1/2 glass of OJ and the rest of the glass with water. It makes me feel really full, adds a needed bit of fiber in my diet and keeps everything moving along. =)

I have found that a snack with protein and carbs keeps me fuller longer. I love baked potato (usually a half of one) with 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese. Sometimes I add steamed broccoli. I'm good on that for hours.

If you are already eating apples add a little peanut butter.

I also like protein powder- I have been using Herbalife protein powder along with their meal replacement shake.

As far as pills go- I have used those too, but don't feel like they are worth the cost.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    I am another one that finds that protein keeps me full longer. Try snacking on a boiled egg, Fage yogurt, or even some left over chicken or other lean meat.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Are you eating enough calories to compensate for your increased exercise? Your hunger may simply stem from not having enough calories as you have created an even bigger calorie deficit. It also depends on what sort of calories you are putting in your body. Protein can help, as many people do not take in enough. But I have found from my own experience that powders don't fill me nearly as well as "real" protein (chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt, etc.)

I wouldn't bother with appetite suppressants, personally. They can be expensive. Have bad side effects. They don't teach you to eat properly. And I have found that the hunger returns when you don't take them.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Make your food diary public to get better input. You may appear to be doing well with in calorie range but eating things that are causing issues.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Are you eating enough calories to compensate for your increased exercise? Your hunger may simply stem from not having enough calories as you have created an even bigger calorie deficit. It also depends on what sort of calories you are putting in your body. Protein can help, as many people do not take in enough. But I have found from my own experience that powders don't fill me nearly as well as "real" protein (chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt, etc.)

See that's the thing... I've been fine, eating back my exercise calories... then in the evenings, I feel like I'm STARVING, and end up eating more to compensate. That's when I try to stick to the healthy choices. But during the day I often get all the protein that the tracker wants me to get. I try to stay below the fat & sodium counts, but I'm almost always above the protein.

Is there something wrong with me?
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Shift your calories around perhaps? Eat less during the day and have a bigger dinner and/or snack? Same number of calories rearranged throughout the day. Just a thought. Add me so I can see your food diary and I might be able to give some more suggestions.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Are you drinking enough water? I know that when I don't drink enough, I tend to feel like I'm "starving" but in reality its because I'm thirsty and my body wants water.

Also have you tried a multi-vitman? I know that since I started mine, the weight has been coming off easier... I take one by Vitafusion thats a gummy vitamin and tastes really good.

Like another poster said, Apples with peanut butter! That always helps me when I'm feeling hungry and want a snack.
  • i tried some diet pills. i was super shaky, and i couldn't sleep, i also felt very sick. i wouldn't recommend them.
  • watsy72
    watsy72 Posts: 3
    Have you tried upping your protien?
    Eating more chicken, turkey etc...Try "healthy " carbs to fill you up!
    Everyone reaches a stand still.... you just have to work through it
    I have been doing boot camp since last September and i have been at stand still as well
    Jog longer, change up your diet... it will work for you!
    Pills, shakes bars ....i would say NO too only because they are a quick fix!
    Remember it is a life style change the slow the weight comes off the longger you will keep it off!
    Hope this helps you
    Be strong and use your will power to make good decisions and you WILL do it!!
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.