Up Calorie Adjustment - Plain English Explanation needed please

Options
Can someone please explain, in plain English, how the UP calorie adjustment works because it does not make sense to me. For example, on Wednesday I had a calorie goal of 1520. This was reduced by 1409 for food. I did a 32min jog which added 380 calories from MapMyRun. According to UP I took 11,538 steps which gave a minus 329 figure?????. The result of all this was that after running for 32 minutes and taking 11,538 steps, 51 calories were added to my total. If this is working correctly, it would seem that I would be better off not doing any exercise and not trying to increase the number of steps taken each day. Surely this cannot be right? Can someone please explain it to me. Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's correct. It starts your day with an assumption of X calories for Y amount of activity. It's making real time +/- adjustments during the day for the actual activity you perform.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Your UP total burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Adjustments are the difference between your UP total burn & your MFP activity level.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, your adjusted calorie goal is TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Disconnect MapMy from MFP and connect it to UP instead. That way, MapMy sends your info to UP, UP sends your TDEE to MFP, and MFP adjusts your calories accordingly. Do not log any step-based activity. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) in the UP
    app. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your UP burn during that time.
  • lizzydrippin2015
    lizzydrippin2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I'm with @skiddaw2 on this one. I appreciate you guys trying to explain it - but it still makes no sense to me at all! I have synced MFP with my UP24 with no problems.
    My calorie intake goal in MFP is 1300 per day, as my Up24 is set to the same weight loss goals as MFP, and I have checked the negative calorie adj button as I wear my UP24 pretty much all the time. So this is what MFP daily goals look like:
    xjwaneta3fa7.png
    Can someone please go through, step-by-step what each number means - and I mean explain it like I was a child? I'm not a stupid person but I don't get the calorie adjustment between MFP and UP24? What is the -100 and what is the net number at the end.

So yesterday, I did Week 2 Day 1 of C25k run, a 10 min bike ride and a 30 min moderate walk, using the stop watch on my UP24 and according to my UP24 these exercises alone burned just over 400 cals but according to MFP I only burned 210?? (see screen shot below):
    ojjqinsdpt3b.png

I just don't get it? Why doesn't MFP take all calories burned from UP24? What is the point of MFP with UP24 if it doesn't accuratley deduct daily calories burned?

Like @skiddaw2 says, it seems the harder we try to keep to our goals, the more we seem to be going over them? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks for your pateints guys! Liz
  • editorgrrl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    According to MFP I only burned 210?? (see screen shot below):

ojjqinsdpt3b.png

Click the "i" in a blue circle next to the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

It will say how many calories MFP expects you to burn every day (activity level minus deficit), the last time you synced your UP, and how many calories MFP thinks you'll burn by the end of the day based on your UP total burn.

You've burned 210 calories more than your MFP activity level.
    I just don't get it? Why doesn't MFP take all calories burned from UP24?

When you click on the "i" in the blue circle, you'll see something like this. (But I'm just making up the numbers.)

UP calories burned 1,757
    MyFitnessPal calories burned 1,547
    UP calorie adjustment 210

1757 - 1547 = 210
  • lizzydrippin2015
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok, thanks So today I have a minus, what does this mean? :
    8x2ola088ow7.png
    And then this is my daily goals, which I am clearly under, (1300 goal and my intake has been 1287 which is 13 calories under but it looks like I'm still 40 cals over?
    74lhj02zh7v3.png

• editorgrrl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Today I have a minus, what does this mean?

A negative-176-calorie adjustment means you've burned 176 calories less than your MFP activity level.

But why are you logging walking & jogging in MFP?! Do not log any step-based activity—your UP is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in the UP app or in MFP—never both.

Your UP total burn is TDEE, and exercise logged in MFP overwrites your UP burn during that time. So I log exercise in UP—never MFP.
  • lizzydrippin2015
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not manually logging any exercise - that info has been synced from my UP24 band. I havent logged them in both, the apps have done it all. The walking and running is from the C25k app which, again is syncing automatically.