Chinese

Options
I am going out for lunch today to a Chinese Buffett I need advice????? What can I eat?

Replies

• xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    noodles and vegetable dishes!
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    things that are easily recognizable.... think chicken and veggies in a thin or clear sauce, not brown fried things in dark sauce. fill small plates and eat slowly....
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All of it, then ask for a doggy bag and mop up all the leftovers for tomorrows breakfast.

just kidding

but yeah can't go wrong with vegetable stuff
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    things that are easily recognizable.... think chicken and veggies in a thin or clear sauce, not brown fried things in dark sauce. fill small plates and eat slowly....

and drink plenty of water after every mouthful....full quicker and won't eat as much !!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!! LOL

But really, if you must go, do this:

First, Drink 1 full glass of water with lemon.
    Then, eat one full plate of salad, fresh veggies, fruit.
    Get a soup.
    Only then, go back for some meat, fish, cooked veggies etc that you want to eat. Avoid the fried things.
    This is what I do...it helps a lot.
    Have only a cookie or something small for desert.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was looking into that too. I just searched "chinese food" in the database to give me an idea of what I could eat. Check it out...
  • NewtonsApple
    Options
    Chinese Buffet? Putting this lightly...nothing. Americanized Chinese food is like the worst thing you can eat, calorie, fat, and sodium wise.

You could order a water, unfortunately. =(
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chinese Buffet? Putting this lightly...nothing. Americanized Chinese food is like the worst thing you can eat, calorie, fat, and sodium wise.

Eh, don't be a party-pooper. Chinese buffets are so good.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I am going out for lunch today to a Chinese Buffett I need advice????? What can I eat?

Well some of us would avoid this place. Do you have to go there with people from work?
    Are you paying?
    I think a problem with buffets, is people always tend to think we need to get our money's worth in food.(At least most men think that). Especially if it's a $15-$20 buffet. You can't just go and have a plate of salad.

Otherwise I would say enjoy your lunch, and make sure you drink lots of water, and get in a workout this evening, and you won't feel so bad.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Oh man, buffets I love them lol. it is truly hard to eat healthy at one. Stick to the fresh fruit and salad section. look for grilled veggies, greens, plain steamed rice. Avoid anything breaded. It is kind of a waste of money to go though if you are not going to be able to eat much.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Meat, seafood and vegetables only. No rice, noodles, egg rolls, soup, or anything breaded (General Tso's or sweet & sour chicken, etc.). The sodium is going to kill you for a day or two so drink tons of water and eat a banana.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    All of it, then ask for a doggy bag and mop up all the leftovers for tomorrows breakfast.
    Off topic,

Last time I was at a chinese buffet - I remember the people behind us asking for a take out container.
    The waiter politely said that "we don't do that". Then I heard him say.. "Well you can talk to the manager if you want"
    Some people...:laugh::laugh:
  • clala82
    clala82 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Soup, lean meat with veggie stir fry, boiled shrimp, fruit.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Log what you expect to have before you go. I did that for a champagne afternoon tea and it helped keep me on track without making me too anxious. I went over my calories, but under my maintenance calories (still unknown!) so still lost that week.
  • TwinMom12409
    Options
    Most will offer salad and soup. The soups are good and fairly low in calories- though not in sodium. Chicken or beef with broccoli, steamed white rice. Avoid fried, sweet n sour anything. general Tso's is fried and full of sugar. Drink water or hot tea. Concentrate more on the social aspect and less on the food. Enjoy the company. Eat with chopsticks to force yourself to eat slowly.

Good luck!
  • NewtonsApple
    Options

Trying not to be a party pooper. I wouldn't be able to control myself there, even knowing that, in my opinion, Chinese buffets are rarely worth it, in terms of quality vs. ordering from a chinese restaurant that isn't a buffet.

If avoidance is not an option...I'd recommend orderring chicken and broccoli (steamed) with sauce on side, off the menu, and avoiding the buffet portion all together.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Nothing. It's all cooked in heavy oil, with salt and msg unless your diet allows for it. The only problem is it's very hard to log what you don't know. Trust me. I work in a Chinese owned company and have been to more then a few of these places lately and it has utterly destroyed my diet.

Unless it's something you can order your way I recommend just trying to focus on chicken, steak or some sort of meat, avoid noodles, stick to a small amount of rice for carbs and hope for the best.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

Lets be realistic here. This poster is not a party pooper. I would avoid soups-high in sodium and bad carbs(bleached whites like rice and noodles), soy sauce, any thing that is brown that isnt wheat, anything fried cause it usually has a huge amount of sodium in it.

Stick with chicken, steak, lots of water, veggies without some thick cream sauce, long grain rice(very very rare at a buffer) and again LOTS OF WATER.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Anything steamed, look for brown rice, or rice noodles, try to get sauce on the side. Drink water and if you get tea, don't add sugar.
  • tabo73
    tabo73 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I did ok I had only 1 1/2 plates had a hot and sour soup that is my favorite so I had 1 bowl and 2 large ice waters.