Maintaining mostly at 1200

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    how sedentary are all of you? get up and do something...

Have to agree

By calculators (admittedly estimates)

A 30 year old, 5', 100lbs woman who is sedentary would maintain at 1478 calories
    At lightly active ...eg add a 30 minute stroll to the shops would maintain at 1698 calories

By 60 they'd lose 190 calories (roughly) ...just move more, build muscle
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    lesteidel wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nobody maintains at 1200

You're right your issue is logging accuracy

But it's also probably that you are reacting to short term scale fluctuations as you increase calories...look at reverse dieting

Incorrect!

A five foot tall 100 pound woman maintains at roughly around 1200 and is in a healthy bmi.

I would doubt it at that weight and height, but there ARE people who have to subsist on that not to gain weight....

Agree! I know the general rule is women should be above 1200 but shorter, older women have a different challenge if they want to maintain in the low 100s.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    titotito48 wrote: »
    And have you noticed fat loss in your stomach? My stomach seems to be the last place I'm losing!

It is for many

You can't spot reduce

Fat comes off where it comes off
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Nobody maintains at 1200

But it's also probably that you are reacting to short term scale fluctuations as you increase calories...look at reverse dieting

Incorrect!

A five foot tall 100 pound woman maintains at roughly around 1200 and is in a healthy bmi.

I would doubt it at that weight and height, but there ARE people who have to subsist on that not to gain weight....

That is my height and weight. I maintain around 1900-2000 calories a day. It really has more to do with how active you are.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    VanceDeau wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Strong first post there.

Should she take that as a compliment? Or is there a hidden message there
    I don't think the fact that magnesium tablets aren't going to make someone lose half a pound to a pound at night is a hidden message.

People typically weigh the least first thing in the morning. Just surviving the night is often enough to see weight (not fat) losses that size and greater.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Nobody maintains at 1200

Incorrect!

Actually I checked on a fairly reliable calorie calculator ...see above for stats

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net

And 1200 is very low for a 100lb 5 foot sedentary woman is all I'm saying
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Nobody maintains at 1200

Incorrect!

Actually I checked on a fairly reliable calorie calculator ...see above for stats

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net

And 1200 is very low for a 100lb 5 foot sedentary woman is all I'm saying

I agree your calculator is reliable, but it's a calculator and it could be off for 100 calories for some people which makes 1200 not a VERY LOW number for some. I'm just saying that you can't generalize everyone.

• lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel like I stirred up a hornets nest. 1200 absolutely was what I should have been eating at when I was unable to walk. I didn't, I gained weight. I however, am not the norm. Smaller women with those caloric needs also tend to have more mineral and vitamin deficiencies, and for those calling me sedentary, yes, I was, I was TOLD NOT TO WALK during that time period. My only point is you can't blanket say that nobody loses at that intake.

OP if you are that close to goal, and accurately logging, it could very well be that you're building muscle or retaining more water than normal. Even IF you are accurately logging, I wouldn't go below that because it's very hard to get nutrition at that level of eating. And the closer to your goal you are, the slower you will lose, because you don't have as big of a calorie deficit. Do whatever you did to lose the weight to begin with and keep at it. It will come off, it just takes FOREVER to get the last few pounds off.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Interesting though it is debating how much us little old ladies should be able to eat, the OP, Nic 123fitness is not one of us.

Nic, as people advised at the begining of this thread; tighten your logging, and weigh your food.

1200 is low for your age and height so unless you are an anomaly, you just need to do the above.

Upping your exercise could help, but isn't needed.

Cheers, h.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Depending on where OP is the menopause spectrum, she could very well be maintaining on 1200 calories a day. If I have a sedentary or even lightly active day, I'm maintaining on around that at 56 years old, 5'1.5". Regarding the magnesium/weight loss relationship -- magnesium citrate can act as a laxative, so that poster could be losing weight and some belly bloating in the AM as a result. Other than that, magnesium is not a weight loss aid.
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    how sedentary are all of you? get up and do something...

Have to agree

By calculators (admittedly estimates)

A 30 year old, 5', 100lbs woman who is sedentary would maintain at 1478 calories
    At lightly active ...eg add a 30 minute stroll to the shops would maintain at 1698 calories

By 60 they'd lose 190 calories (roughly) ...just move more, build muscle

Unless there is any type of hormonal, or genetic markers that might lower the bmr.. .such as PCOS, IR, Diabetes, and various genes as well .
  • DebJ618
    Options
    Not everybody is the same. There are so many factors from water consumption/retention, vitamin & mineral deficiencies or even having too many of certain ones, genetic issues (MTHFR, uhm Factor 5 I think it is, and a few others), PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, gut issues, cortisol problems, adrenal problems, bone mass, lean muscle percentage, actual fat percentage, allergens, sleeping habits, and loads more that can change what the caloric needs are of a person as well as what percentages of carb, fat, and protein they should have.

While there may be issues with what is being put into MyFitness... I realized such issues a couple weeks ago and now have to check re-check everything.
    While there is the issue of activity - which itself can vary from cardio, to weight, to etc for effects on the body and those effects can vary from person to person.

I feel like many of the people responding are being a bit harsher than they could have been... I think this is mostly unintentional but for those trying to just figure something out it can be very stressful (which then effects weight).

• DebJ618
    Options
    Can I check if anyone else 'seems' to maintain at 1200. I'm 5ft 3, 40yrs and sedentary. I also have a problem walking fast due to a condition with my legs. I suspect that actually I am underestimating what I eat and am actually eating over 1200, so my plan is to be stricter with the scales. Did anybody else solve this problem. Ps I work out way more than I used to at 3x per week. I only have about 5 pounds to go..

Have you had blood work done and spoken with a doctor to confirm there are no issues with vitamins/nutrients, with hormones, allergies, or other things that could be effecting things?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Not everybody is the same. There are so many factors from water consumption/retention, vitamin & mineral deficiencies or even having too many of certain ones, genetic issues (MTHFR, uhm Factor 5 I think it is, and a few others), PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, gut issues, cortisol problems, adrenal problems, bone mass, lean muscle percentage, actual fat percentage, allergens, sleeping habits, and loads more that can change what the caloric needs are of a person as well as what percentages of carb, fat, and protein they should have.

While there may be issues with what is being put into MyFitness... I realized such issues a couple weeks ago and now have to check re-check everything.
    While there is the issue of activity - which itself can vary from cardio, to weight, to etc for effects on the body and those effects can vary from person to person.

I feel like many of the people responding are being a bit harsher than they could have been... I think this is mostly unintentional but for those trying to just figure something out it can be very stressful (which then effects weight).

Nope people are just giving the basics

The rule has always been start with estimates, check your progress over 6-8 weeks and adjust

Medical conditions can certainly affect the TDEE ..but so could getting more active (positively), building muscle (positively)

Accurate logging of calories is the other factor

Everybody has a tough time losing weight...the trick is to avoid excuses and deal with the actuality in front of you. You can always have an RMR check if you're particularly worried...look for indirect calorimetry testing

Calories in < calories out = weight loss
    Medical conditions may affect calories out, or may not...it doesn't affect the formula though
  • francescataylor94
    francescataylor94 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and maintain at about 1500 I'm on the 1200 cal diet at the moment to and am losing weight well :)
  • Brittbam89
    Brittbam89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    And have you noticed fat loss in your stomach? My stomach seems to be the last place I'm losing!

Tiotio48,

I notice a big difference in weight loss when I use the magnesium supplement.

I started this diet a year ago, and I wasn't taking Magnesium. The 12,00 calorie diet alone certainly helped. But I started seeing my doctor for migrane issues and she said that magnesium could help with my migraines. I noticed a big difference in weight loss with the magnesium. Here is an article about it, magnesium has many benefits. http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/6-reasons-youre-not-losing-belly-fat
  • Brittbam89
    Options
    VanceDeau wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Strong first post there.
    I don't think the fact that magnesium tablets aren't going to make someone lose half a pound to a pound at night is a hidden message.

People typically weigh the least first thing in the morning. Just surviving the night is often enough to see weight (not fat) losses that size and greater.

I do weigh myself every morning. On days that I just diet there isn't much change, but nights that I take the supplement I do notice a huge difference. This is my 2nd time on this diet. The first time I was on it for about 6 months, the first 4 months of that I lost 15 pounds, after I started taking the magnesium I lost 25lbs, that's in 2 months. My stomach is a problem area and I noticed that while taking the magnesium a lot of the fat was coming off from my stomach. I had to stop dieting because I got pregnant, so I also stopped taking Magnesium. This is my second time in the diet and I am once again taking Magnesium. This is my personal experience, just thought I'd share. I didn't realize there'd be SO many negative Nacys.... Give it a try or don't, its up to you. But I guess you won't know how it works unless you actually try it. I had no clue that it would help with my weight loss, but it has

Here is an article on how beneficial magnesium is; http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/6-reasons-youre-not-losing-belly-fat
  • Brittbam89
    Options

And I do notice a big change in belly fat while taking the magnesium. My belly is also a difficult area for me.
  • Brittbam89
    Options
    Please research magnesium supplements ( and any others) before taking them. A diet with sufficient fibre and green leafy veg should give you the magnesium you need.

It has lots of benefits but fat reduction isn't one of them. Regulating bowel movements is.

The way to get a flat stomach is primarily by diet; to lose the fat, and secondly exercise; to maintain and strengthen the muscle below the fat.

Read the links at the top top of the page instead of following fads.

Cheers, h.

Actually magnesium has MANY benefits! Yes, bowle movements is one of those. My doctor actually prescribed it for my migraines, I just so happened to be dieting at the time, several months into my diet. I noticed a big change in how much weight I was losing once I started the magnesium. That was before I got pregnant and had to quit dieting, now that I've had my baby I'm back at it again.
    Here's an article about magnesium http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/6-reasons-youre-not-losing-belly-fat