Diet & excercise .. Still don't see any changes.

Options
I'm new. Been on the diet 5 days! That's a record for me... Usually I blow it because my cravings are carbs and chocolate. Just keeping it real. I am using a fit bit too, reaching my steps if not over every day.
I thought I would get on the scale today and see at least 2-3 lbs off. But 0! Makes me want to eat a bag of popcorn

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Remember the tortoise wins the race. Rome wasn't built in a day. etc. etc.

Point is... to lose 1 pound you have to have eaten approximately 3,500 calories less than you expend. Using MFP you can use several different settings. For most people 1 pound per week is achievable. 2-3 pounds over the course of a few days is an unrealistic expectation and is most likely the reason why you quit before you make any progress. Change your lifestyle and don't call it a diet.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You expect two to three pounds off in five days? Be realistic! You need to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. It's been five days; give it time.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eating a bag of popcorn won't help you go in the right direction. Patience is one of the toughest parts in the beginning. Give your body a little time to catch up with your ambition.

Keep going!
  • GainsBruh98
    GainsBruh98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about not seeing any changes yet. 5 days is not really long enough to notice any kind of difference unless you are really restricting your calories. Its all about calories in, calories out. I would just stick to your diet and probably incorporate more cardio. I bet you will see results within a month if not less... Best of luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. Really.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Consistency is key! Having realistic expectations is also very helpful. Expecting to lose 2-3lbs in a few days is just not realistic. The weight didn't go on in a few days, it won't come off in a few days.
  • qshadab
    qshadab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, been doing it just for a week and expect results. Patience is the key. Keep going and be motivated, it will happen.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm new. Been on the diet 5 days! That's a record for me... Usually I blow it because my cravings are carbs and chocolate. Just keeping it real. I am using a fit bit too, reaching my steps if not over every day.
    I thought I would get on the scale today and see at least 2-3 lbs off. But 0! Makes me want to eat a bag of popcorn

You only have a goal of 30 lbs to lose - that's really not that much. You should be expecting to lose about a pounds a week. Expecting to see multiple pounds falling off after only a few days is unrealistic. Remember that it takes a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat. If you are consistent with your eating and maintain a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day below your TDEE (which is what MFP will give you if you set your weight loss goal at 1 lb per week), you will lose the weight. Remember that weight loss is not linear. Sodium intake in your diet, muscle damage during exercise, and hormone fluctuations will all cause fluid retention in your body that will make your weight seem to go up and down on a daily basis, so don't weigh yourself every day, or even every other day.
    for more helpful information, read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? Can you give us your stats?
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Eating to few calories causes your metabolism to slow making it a lot harder to loose weight. Also you did not gain all that weight in a week. It is not going to come off in a week.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You need to learn patience. Five days is not enough time.

Also get a food scale and weigh your foods
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating? Eating to few calories causes your metabolism to slow making it a lot harder to loose weight. Also you did not gain all that weight in a week. It is not going to come off in a week.

FIFY
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Five days? Last month I lost three pounds...in a MONTH.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your scales might be wrong! lol. I have a love/hate relationship with my scales and the only time they would start to show numbers that made me feel happy was when I cut down on carbs and sugars and replaced with protein, veg and fats such as avocado. Still the same calorie allowance but with a different way of eating, that plus exercise. Please dont be discouraged. I bet you the reason why you havent seen any weight loss yet is because you are gaining muscle from all the exercise you've been doing :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,245 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    You expect two to three pounds off in five days? Be realistic! You need to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. It's been five days; give it time.

This ^^

When I started, it was 10 days before I saw the slightest movement downward.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You cannot gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. Perhaps strengthen what you have, but that won't affect weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are unreasonable. Weight loss isn't linear and there are lots and lots of variables as to why some people don't do well even if they are "good".
    If 5 days is a record for you, then you've already stepped ahead. Continue with consistency and it will happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Patience. 5 days is nothing. Keep going and you'll see results.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Set smaller goals. Try to make it a week, then 2 weeks. Weight doesn't come on fast and we don't lose it fast either. Hard to grasp I know, but trust me it makes it easier to think of it as a lifelong commitment of a lifestyle change. Have your treats as long as they fit in your calorie allowance.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

The problem is your expectations. Nothing will happen in 5 days. Set a realistic eating plan, one that you can follow without feeling deprived and starving. Set your goal to lose 0.5 to 1 lb per week. Yes, this little. Follow the plan for the next month, and see what happens. If still nothing, then you need to reevaluate what you are doing. Your profile shows 30 lbs to lose. If this is the total you need to lose, aim for a year, not a few weeks.