All my hobbies involve sitting...

Options
Hi everyone!
I am new this week and so far loving these forums.
I'm an introvert and so love being able to connect in the comfort of my own introvert world. I've been chubby since about age 12. I have two kiddos 2 and 4 and I've always promised myself that I wouldn't let my kids grow up with a chubby mom - I won't do that to them!
I love reading, playing flute and piano, watching Harry Potter movies, Orange is the New Black and now Orphan Black....hmmm none of these lead to moving my body more so I'm struggling with this piece!
I'm 36, starting weight is 213.7 and I'll be happy to be 150. I'm 5'5.
I have dieted many times in the past and have always felt deprived.
2 years ago I promised myself I would never diet again.
I'm looking for a slow loss my being more mindful and making lifelong changes.
Is nice to be on a healthy plan with low stress to lose and lots of support. So far loving my MFP experience!
:smiley:

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems. I purchased a quality elliptical machine and use it often. I pop in a DVD or netflix and I can still get a good workout in while feeding my need to watch tv. A recumbent bike is also an option, and frees up your hands so that you can read! (not as good as a workout but I find somedays I need to just move...anything is better than nothing.
    good luck
  • mommaderp
    mommaderp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I definitely have the same goals for me/my kids. I want slow and sustainable so I can show my kids how to eat properly and how to make good food choices.

I'm so glad I'm not a wizard. I'd totally be like ACCIO POTATO CHIPS while sitting on the couch.

Start having the HP soundtrack on while you walk ;) I love walking to the LOTR soundtracks.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    LOL mommaderp, I just saw a t-shirt online that said Accio Wine. Nice tip to listen to the soundtrack!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Definitely try riffraff2112's suggestions, treadmill is also an option.

And I'm not a mom or anything but your kids would probably be thrilled to run around and do activities with you outside more often.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I too have 'sitting down hobbies' but try and set yourself time limits and if possible, go for more walks or up the exercise. I understand with little ones, it's not always easy but any exercise you do is a step in the right direction! Wishing you the best of luck!
  • WendyManc
    WendyManc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have sit down hobbies. I craft so getting off my backside is not easy. I've got a Fitbit which does help to motivate. And my foster lad is forever checking my steps and telling me I need to get more steps in.
    He says we'll walk to the shops, it'll help towards your steps. Bless.
    I also try and go to the gym a few times a week use the treadmill. All steady.
  • OliviaCat1
    OliviaCat1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can't relate totally because I don't have kids myself, but I can give u some suggestions and support when u need it :)
    I played flute too it's an awesome hobby! How about playing it standing up? Not a workout but have u heard of the new standing desks being implemented in offices and it leading to better health? Same rule applies here.
    When u watch shows you love, you can lift weights, plank.. Basically work on your strength! You know how it's easy to eat more when distracted doing activities like watching TV? Exercising is similar in that if you make it a habit this way (difficult at first, but worth it), it will become second nature and you won't notice as much.
    Hope this helps :)
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Even 30 mins of exercise of day will do wonders. I exercise 5 days a week. 2 rest days. I do 30-60 minute fitnessblender.com workouts. And stay at or below my calorie goal...Ive lost 10lbs in a week just doing that.
  • ndraughn
    ndraughn Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I love reading, playing flute and piano, watching Harry Potter movies, Orange is the New Black and now Orphan Black....hmmm none of these lead to moving my body more so I'm struggling with this picture
    I have dieted many times in the past and have always felt deprived.

Some thing to try is while you watch your favorite shows is to get up and do some exercise. I have an aerobic step and will step during my favorite shows. I have done arm exercises with weights. I don't feel as guilty and I still getting some exercise. It also makes exercise not as bad.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Orange is the New Black is a great show. I think I did steps during the entire series. I usually do step/pace around when I play anything on Netflix.

Louis (Louis C.K.) is what I've been pacing around to lately. An activity tracker definitely helps me feel fine with binge watching shows on Netflix.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh I like these ideas, I actually just joined our YMCA and will start off with water aerobics. I just can't do the gym machines - I get so bored after 1 or 2 weeks. Our house is super tiny too so I don't think we'd have room for a machine in our house. Oh...maybe I could jump rope in front of the tv! :wink: