Weigh in

Options
Hi people! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on when the best time to weigh in is? My weight fluctuates a lot throughout the day, so I weigh myself numerous times, but I'm never quite sure of how to calculate my true weight. Does anyone here have this issue too? If so, do you average your weights throughout the day? Or use the heaviest or lightest?

Replies

• ardenbeachlvr
    ardenbeachlvr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Right after you get up is going to be the most consistent.
  • Kingtjr47
    Kingtjr47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The most accurate is not your real goal. You should only be concerned on the net change. For that you only need to be consistent in when you measure. For me I do it the same (roughly) time of day the same day every week. Sunday morning before my first meal is it for me.

BTW, I also used this method to get my starting point.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself irst thing in the morning. I weigh myself only once per day, even on maintenance.
    Some people say once a week or once a month, but I like to know if there is a fluctuation every day.
    I record my weight every Monday morning.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended you weigh once a week, same day, same time, sme clothes. No idea why you'd weigh yourself multiple times a day? Of course you weight fluctuates from eating and fluid balance. If you want to weigh daily I would say in the am after you wake up. I can't think of any benefits to weighing multiple times a day though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Each of those weights is your "true weight" at that instant - but only at that instant. As you note your weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day and also day to day. Seems pretty pointless to weigh multiple times a day as all you are seeing is fluctuations in hydration levels and the amount of food in your system.

What you really what is your weight trend over time. There's quite a few apps that will give you the trend from a daily or weekly weigh in.

I do hope you have a maintenance range and don't try to micromanage your weight to one single number.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You will almost certainly see your weight bounce up and down throughout the day based on what you're eating and drinking.

Most people recommend you weigh yourself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything. You can do that daily, weekly, monthly or something in between.

I weigh daily and log it in my Fitbit app, which forwards the information to trendweight.com so I can see how I'm doing. I have a 5lb range and I'm smack dab in the middle right now.

~Lyssa
  • colinchunky1
    colinchunky1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself once a week. saturday morning ,first thing before any food or drink. keep a record on a diet sheet.i have done this for 2 years . it works for me . scales also show water ,fat and bmi readings.which help. hope this helps.i find once a week is enough daily can sometimes disappoint and a long term plan should only reduce by 1 to 2 lbs a week
  • palmerd74
    palmerd74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday but do it when you first wake up with the same clothing on. This will give you a more accurate reading of your true weight.
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, sans clothing. Record once a week :)
  • adamcourt
    adamcourt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    the min you get up first thing I the morning is best time
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do first thing in morning. No clothes. I also weigh every morning to average out weight over period of time. Only count Wen. number for actual WI. Good luck you can do this.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Wake
    Pee
    Weigh
    Record
    Easy
    Peasy
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ashymaz wrote: »
    Hi people! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on when the best time to weigh in is?

I used to weigh in all the time, and then moved to once a week on Friday mornings. At this point I go for once a month. Saves my sanity from freaking out about small daily/weekly fluctuations.

• tecobb1
    tecobb1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Right after you get up is going to be the most consistent.

• tecobb1
    tecobb1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go to the bathroom first before you get on the scale after you get up in the morning.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself immediately after getting out of bed and going to the bathroom. I am always shocked and disappointed if I do it at any other time lol.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    I always weigh myself immediately after getting out of bed and going to the bathroom. I am always shocked and disappointed if I do it at any other time lol.

Snort... Can so relate to that .

I've been weighing every morning this week, and it really has helped smooth out the lines of fluctuations. Previously I was weighing every 1-2 weeks.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Consistency in weigh in is key, first thing in the morning before eating, after peeing. If you can't cope with fluctuations that happen normally daily stay off the scales and weigh in once a week, same day, same time.

Why anyone would weigh themselves several times in one day when what we eat etc will have an affect on that reading....
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Daily. Wake up, use the bathroom, weigh, enter into Happy Scales, check the trend and forget it. Using an app will help you forget the number and focus just on the trend, so those fluctuations become less worrying. I honestly couldn't tell you what my weight was this morning. I've already forgotten it.