Grocery Shopping...

Options
JenL0690
JenL0690 Posts: 92 Member
Hello all!! My hubby and I are going grocery shopping tonight. He never has to worry about what he eats, so I'm sure he will get his regular food and junk. I am still new to this whole eating healthy and exercising almost everyday. So, since we are going shopping I would love some input on some good healthy foods and snacks to get. Thanks so much:-)

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Almonds, lots of fruits and veggies, oatmeal...and you should probably plan out some meals for the week so you can buy the necessary ingredients and not worry about defaulting to something unhealthy.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same so we usually still have lots of "junky" food at home but my staples are: oatmeal, fresh fruits and veggies, almonds, peanut butter, whole grain bread (toast with PB), chicken breasts, mini rice cake things, special K...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low fat Popcorn, sugar free pudding, Natural peanut butter no sodium and graham crackers, Whole wheat crackers, low fat cheese, Fresh Fruits and Veggies, salad greens, low fat-sodium dressings for salads and dipping, spicy Hummus, Whole grain low carb bread, pitas, tortillas and pasta, low fat milk and low sugar cereal, no sugar added fudge pops, Tuna or other fish, Lots of boneless chicken breast grill all of it and have it for the week. No sodium canned tomatoes. Frozen veggies no sauces. Don't bring anything into the house you are going to have to worry about eating. IF it's not there you can't eat it.
  • mjberkey
    mjberkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found out from another forum about this really good pita bread you can get at Walmart (in mine it's in the deli section, in another Walmart it was with the bread) It is Joseph's pita bread and only 60 calories. You can make a nice big filling sandwich with it! The other person who had posted a recipe had used it as a pizza crust too for a personal pizza (word of advice make sure you crisp it in the oven before adding sauce and toppings or it comes out a tad soggy.) I have been getting lots of salad stuff and the Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken Breasts (Walmart is $3 cheaper than our regular store too for them I noticed) If I put on a salad I only use half the breast. I have been looking at reduced fat/sodium/sugar things for a while now. It is so hard to buy stuff for me too as my husband is skinny as a rail and can eat anything. I've switched from white rice to brown rice. The steam fresh veggies are good also. Hope this helps out =)
  • JenL0690
    JenL0690 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I have my healthy grocery list ready to go! :-)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I buy fruit, almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, larabars, natural almond butter and dark choclate. I have a popsicle mold and I puree fresh fruit and use it to make my own popsicles with no sugar added. I have natural cacao and mix it with rice or almond milk for hot cocoa, fold it into greek yogurt for a pudding like dessert. (Sweeten with stevia if needed).

I would suggest:
    Air popcorn
    pretzel nibs
    dark chocolate. (the lindts dark chocolate with sea salt is good for a sweet/salty mix)
  • SinéadN7803758
    Options
    Almonds, lots of fruits and veggies, oatmeal...and you should probably plan out some meals for the week so you can buy the necessary ingredients and not worry about defaulting to something unhealthy.

Definitely plan in advance! It can be a little boring - but only buying the correct amount of ingredients ensures that I don't go for a quick and easy calorific meal! It also avoids my snacking!!

Another great option is buying your food online and getting it delivered, it stops me from buying stuff I don't need and also many of the sites have recipe sections and you can often compare fat/calorie/salt etc. content.

Hope this helps!