Am I doing this right? Advice welcome

Options
I'd like some advice from my fellow MFPers on whether you think my approach is sensible and whether you think there is anything I have missed or need to consider.

TDEE - 2407 (according to Fitbit Charge HR) (this is often higher on an active day)
Daily calorie intake - 1823
Lean body mass (from bodpod) - 56.4kg (124lb)
Protein (0.8g per 1lb of LBM) - 99g

Each week -
Gym 3 times, each time doing pull ups, lat pull downs, squats, walk outs, planks, leg press
Play squash once per week
Rugby training once per week, each month we have a 4 hour training session too
Run 3 times per week - working my way through C25K (currently on week 3), then plan on C210k

I am 34 year old female, 5ft 5, currently weigh 207lbs.

I would like to lose around 40lbs and be able to run 10km (by Christmas, 10 miles by May). I need to improve my fitness for rugby and also for an obstacle run I am doing in May. I figure that will all be easier if I weigh less too.

Can any see anything I am missing, haven't thought of or any reason why I wouldn't realistically lose weight?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've got it :)
    I'm no expert but this seems absolutely fine to me!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Looks OK. Sounds like it'll take a bit longer than until May though with that initial 600 deficit.
  • doingthisthesmartway
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Looks OK. Sounds like it'll take a bit longer than until May though with that initial 600 deficit.

So I understand, are you baseing that on 500 daily calorie deficit to lose 1lb a week?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    thereabouts, though I did it in my head :-) Depends if you keep ramping your intake down as you lose weight too.

Edit: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html agrees, 1570 cals/day intake to hit 40 lbs loss by the end of April 2016
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

So I understand, are you baseing that on 500 daily calorie deficit to lose 1lb a week?
    You'd be fine to make it to 40lbs lost by the end of May with a 5-600 calorie deficit a day and it is a healthy sustainable weight loss goal. The only thing to watch, which might be what yarwell was getting at, is that your TDEE will drop for the same activity levels as your weight drops (there is also the potential pitfall of your TDEE not being accurate, but that can work both ways). Just follow you training programmes/diet and if, after about a month, you find you are not getting the desired results, adjust them to better suit what is going on with your body.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

2. If you follow these directions, you'll be eating TDEE minus an appropriate deficit for your size:

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
    TDEE - 2407 (according to Fitbit Charge HR) (this is often higher on an active day)
    Daily calorie intake - 1823
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seems like a really balanced, sensible approach to me. If that calorie goal is working for you and you feel good on it, I'd stick with it.
  • doingthisthesmartway
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply. So as long as I check in on progress to see if my current calorie intake is having the desired effect then recalculate every 10lb lose or so to make sure I keep losing then I should be good, right?

editorgrrl - I have tried repeatedly, and failed repeatedly, over the last couple of weeks to sync mfp and fitbit so have given up. Fitbit says it is linked but I cant no evidence of such on mfp and there is no data exchange!
    I dont understand your `Set your goal to .5lb for every 25lbs' - would you be able to explain?

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I dont understand your `Set your goal to .5lb for every 25lbs' - would you be able to explain?

@doingthisthesmartway The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. And I meant to say "set you goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply. So as long as I check in on progress to see if my current calorie intake is having the desired effect then recalculate every 10lb lose or so to make sure I keep losing then I should be good, right?

Right!