Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with working out calorie on steak!?

Hey im cooking a 6oz steak tonight for tea and I have no idea how to work out the calories ?? It was from the butchers so no packaging to tell me the calories lol I put it in the search to see other peoples but there where all so different? Please help!!!!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i dont know what the problem is. find the cut of steak in the database (look for the raw entry). weigh your steak. enter weight. boom. done.

dont forget to add in any oils or butter or seasinings.
  • avilancaster871
    avilancaster871 Posts: 147 Member
    I did look but when I typed in 6oz raw Serloin steak it come up with loads of different entries? How do I no what 1 is the right 1?? And yes I remembered to add oil ect separate :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    i would use this entry:
    Sirloin Steak - Raw Usda Info

• avilancaster871
    Ok thank you.. Sorry I only joined yesterday so still getting used to how all this works! Thanks for ur help
  • l8knut
    l8knut Posts: 18 Member
    Welcome, I think you will like it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Ok thank you.. Sorry I only joined yesterday so still getting used to how all this works! Thanks for ur help

look for the item, a verified (which is sometimes questionable) or usda entry (more reliable), and THEN enter the weight, dont use the weight in the actual search function. the only time i do that is if im looking for a gram weight and having problems and then its (item grams) and i can usually find one that way.

and if you dont have one, get a food scale and get in the habit of weighing everything.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    i would use this entry:

Yeah but no. There are a ton of variations depending on how much fat is on your steak too...

Logging steak is a major PITA for me.
  • avilancaster871
    I cut all the fat of mine lol I googled it and it's saying for raw sirloin steak 6oz with all vid ale fat cut of is 312 calories so il go with that lol thanks everyone x
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Can I come for tea? ;)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Everything you try to record as you put it into your mouth is an estimate. Once you realize and accept that fact, you will likely have less anxiety about the whole process.

Try to find USDA entries, verified entries with lots of submissions, or that match the label on the item you are recording.

If you are still concerned that the estimate may be too low, record the portion as 10% larger than actual, to account for variance, or try to get your daily total to come in 5-10% below your target.

And realize, that in the grand scheme of things, its only 1 item in what will be a long history, as you continue your journey.
  • avilancaster871
    Can I come for tea? ;)

Sure :) haha
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Francl27 wrote: »
    i would use this entry:

Yeah but no. There are a ton of variations depending on how much fat is on your steak too...

Logging steak is a major PITA for me.

its all an average, anyways......