Running- am I doing it right?

Options
Quick background: I'm a mum of a 2 yo and 1 yo so fairly limited in workout time. With baby weight to shed and fitness to regain I got back to the gym about 5 months ago, 3 classes a week (Attack, grit, pump), and with diet have lost 10kg and bmi now 22. A couple months ago I started adding abut of cardio to the grit (mainly so my kids would get to have morning tea time at the gym crèche), elliptical, rower, whatev.
I've never been a runner. Thought I couldn't do it. But a few weeks ago I thought I'd give it a go, and jumped on the treadmill to see how far I could get in 30 minutes. 5 kms, wow, not too bad for a first try. And awesomely, I can now fit in a couple extra runs through the week when hubby is home early or I get a spare moment on the weekend. I've done a 7.5 km jog around the river a couple times, and done 5.5 around the streets, as well as more 5km treadmill jogs.

I'm not following any plans, just seeing how far I can go and how fast. I try to do conditioning work (squats, lunges, as well as upper body stuff, on my non gym days), and have a couple rest days.
Today before my pump classI did 5kms on the treadmill in 25 mins, which is my best so far and I was pretty happy. I thought tomorrow I might try to stretch my 7.5km jog to 10kms, see if I can do it.
I really have no idea if this is how one gets into running? Just... do it? I mean, I've only been doing it, what, 3 weeks? Does any of this sound wrong?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon leads to injury. Slow down and don't see how far you can go. Add no more than 10% each week to your longest run.

Also, you get better at running from doing multiple slower and shorter runs each week and only one longer run. Later when you get used to running (after many months and miles) you can add a faster type run or 2 in each week.
  • lilray01
    lilray01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ditto dewd2's advice. Doing too much to soon is how several people end up either injures or burned out. I find that slow and steady wins the race. Be consist in your runs (One long plus 2 shorter runs during the week). Then you can start to build upon that and no more than 10% increase each week. I ended up running three half marathons after following this advice.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Ah. Well, I just ran 10 km, so, uh, probably going a bit too hard too soon... but it was a really awesome run and I'm totally chuffed that I managed it.

I think the two short runs and one long run sounds awesome though, mainly cos it's what I can easily fit in: 5km on the treadmill before grit/after pump, and 10km (or whatever) around the river on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see how I pull up for Attack in the morning. After that it'll be 2 days off, which I'm sure my body will appreciate.

Thanks for the advice!
  • hebdenbiker
    hebdenbiker Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is a really inspiring story. Running is grown-up playing. You don't need a system, a routine or a plan. You can just get your shoes on and go and run where you like.

Yes - you are "doing it right" :-)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    Ah. Well, I just ran 10 km, so, uh, probably going a bit too hard too soon... but it was a really awesome run and I'm totally chuffed that I managed it.

Congrats!

You probably already enjoy a decent level of fitness particularly cardio pulmonary fitness and must also assume you aren't suffering from any joint pains or bio-mechanical issues. Terrific!

When I was younger I could jump back into running fairly quickly and ramp up, but even the younger will suffer from injury if they continue to push themselves too hard and far without working on their running form and building good base of running volume. Try not to push the pace too hard while you are volume (distance / time , however you wish to think about it) building. Running slower at a pace where you could still hold a conversation with a partner is what most aim to hit for the bulk of their training.

Again congrats on your achievement and keep on running!

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely don't plan to aim for any new milestones for a while, just see if I can maintain this. I was really pleased how I pulled up this morning and managed to push myself even further in Attack! There's something to be said for the pushing-2-kids-in-double-pram-for-about-10k-steps-a-day training regime! Hooray for not having a car?

Though I did notice my feet and toes were starting to hurt by the end of Attack, confirming that I need to get some new shoes. I think my feet have got even flatter post-pregnancies, if that's possible, so I must make sure to keep them supported, and am gonna order new asics today.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If there's a running store nearby, see what they have to offer in the way of shoes. They can help you determine which type of shoes you should wear and try on several pair. I don't know if my store is unusual or not, but when I went in to get my first pair or running shoes, they had me run around outside in the parking lot after I had narrowed it down to my top two choices. The guy was awesome...he watched me run to check out my stride and see what kind of support I needed, he explained what to look for in a shoe and how it should fit, and he pulled out perhaps a dozen pair for me to try on. Even when I thought I had found "the one", he pulled out a few more pair just so I could make sure.

Also make sure you get some good synthetic socks which are designed to wick away moisture. Cotton socks are blister makers.

Congrats on getting into running! I had similar experience where I had been doing some mild cardio in the two months leading up to the beginning of my running, and my first time out was able to do a 5K.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a natural born runner! Well done and if you enjoy it then yes you are doing it right.

I have very flat feet and got a knee injury recently. So while running is just that...running, things that might help you get the most out of it are the right technical shoes and knowing what your gait is.

Enjoy it! They're some results! :)
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    katem, it really depend what your goals are is it to improve your cardiovascular abilitues? run longer? run faster? just burn calories? 5-10km runs are typical for people who exercise casually like I am doing now. if you are planning to run a marathon or something, better to set goals
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I would be a cautious about increasing mileage too fast. I had a load of injuries last spring when I was training for a race and wasn't careful about how quickly I would increase or how often I would run. There are loads of resources online to help you if you want to develop more of a plan:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/the-10-percent-rule
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! I will agree with everything that has been said here and will particularly stress two points. First, do not put too much focus on increasing your speed. The key to building a strong aerobic base is to run at a comfortable, conversational pace in the lower end of your aerobic heart rate zone. The speed will naturally come as your aerobic fitness increases. Second, you mentioned needing new shoes. If you plan to run a lot, make sure that the shoes you are wearing are only being worn for running. You should get running shoes (best to be fitted by a professional at a running specialty store) and wear cross trainers for your other classes.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    If your enjoying yourself and getting out and your body is feeling good your doing good, but as stated be careful about adding too much too quick. Going out for a long run just because once in a while prolly be ok (I do it myself) but I would not do it on a regular basis.