At home heavy lifting.

Options
Any suggestions on what the best at home heavy lifting program would be? I have adjustable Dumbbells, a pull up bar, resistance bands and a weight bench. I really enjoy heavy lifting but so many programs require racks and bars.

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    How heavy do your dumbbells go? Possibly you could get far with just squats and heavy dumbbells, and pullups.

Once your core is strong though, if you really want to lift, I think you'll want an olympic bar and you can then do the classic or one of the many knockoffs - Starting Strength, SL5x5, or Ice Cream.

Osric
  • lizziegs
    lizziegs Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    They go up to 55 each so I could do a decent amount
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Either buy your own equipment or get a gym membership.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Grab a solid lifting program. some were listed above others include strong curves and new rules of lifting.

While not having an oly bar, at least with adjustable dumbbells you'll be able to work your way up on lifting.
    Just remember though that just using dumbbells will not completely mimic the two fundamental lifts of squat and deadlift. So, if you do end up getting an oly bar or going to a gym for those lifts, you'll need to relearn form.

Might also try searching for a dumbbell only full body routine and then compare it to others. Or just list the program here for critique.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5*5 looks really good, I have just started it myself.
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women can be done at home too.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym I have heard lots of good things about, for home training, but not tried myself.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    get a quality power rack with goid safety bars so you don't kill yourself if you fail at a squat or bench rep :-)
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    also try bodyweight fitness. some exercises are very challenging like 1 legged squats, pistol squats, 1 armed pushups and 1 armed pllups, etc
  • lizziegs
    lizziegs Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for suggestions! As soon as we have more room I would love a barbell and squat rack but the basement is pretty limited, as are the funds. I'll look into those programs.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Nia Shanks has good dumbbell programs for beginners.