Squash

Options
shadowfax_c11
shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
So Summer squashes are in full swing and winter squashes are coming into season. I love squash! Zuchinni, summer squash, butternut, acorn...so many yummy varieties. I love making stir fry and roasted veg with them and Butternut makes a wonderful soup. Spaghetti squash is versatile and fun.

This weekend at the farmers market I picked up two varieties that I have not tried before. An heirloom variety of zuchini that is an unusual pale green color and has a sweeter/mild flavor. And buttecup which I have not tried yet but plan to have this weekend.

I like to roast it and just boil and mash. Seasoned with salt and pepper and butter. Looking for your squash cooking ideas to try out as this season advances. :)

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love squash too! I have to say I cook more zucchini, yellow squash and spaghetti squash. So I have more of those type recipes.

Spaghetti Squash: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/search/label/Spaghetti%20Squash

Yellow Squash: foodnetwork.com/recipes/san-antonio-squash-casserole-recipe.html

Zucchini: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/11/mexican-vegetable-chowder.html
    tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-apple-salad

I made this soup last night. It was delicious!

Stuffed Zucchini Soup
    Serves 8

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 lb. ground turkey Italian sausage
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    3 zucchini, quartered and chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes with celery
    1 jar traditional pasta sauce
    4 cups unsalted chicken stock
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    Dash of red pepper flakes
    Handful of parsley, chopped
    Shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions

Place a soup pot over medium high heat; add olive oil and sausage. Cook crumbling up the sausage until browned. Add onions and garlic cook into onion begins to get translucent. Add zucchini, tomatoes, pasta sauce, stock and season with peppers. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for 20 to 25 minutes until zucchini are tender. Stir in parsley and serve garnished with Parmesan and more parsley.
  • jworley20
    jworley20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just made a shepherd's pie but substituted squash for the mashed potatoes. Saved lots of calories, added more flavor, and I may never go back.
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    jworley20 wrote: »
    I just made a shepherd's pie but substituted squash for the meat and the mashed potatoes. Saved lots of calories, added more flavor, and I may never go back.

So you just had a big plate of squash?
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Great ideas! Keep them coming.

I really want to try the Mexican vegetable chowder!
  • gracebrutto
    gracebrutto Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So last night I incorporated yellow squash by making chicken over pasta. First pressure cook the chicken with your favorite spices and a little water for a few minutes. I used pepper, paprika, ginger, onion powder, and garlic powder. After about 5 minutes of the whistle turn off and let cool on its own. About 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and put in a baking pan in the oven at 400F. Add a little more of your spices to it. Now with the chicken stock add the yellow squash sliced. I added also one onion one tomato and frozen green beans. I brought it to a boil almost and cooked until the squash was a little tender. Meanwhile boil one serving of pasta. I did a bowtie pasta. Drain the pasta and set aside. Add one serving of tomato paste to the yellow squash to thicken and put on low and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the pasta and swirl it around. Plate it and add your chicken on top from the oven. Yum! Yum!
    4oz chicken
    2 squash
    1 onion
    1 tomato
    1/2 bag frozen green beans
    2 tbl tomato paste
    Your favorite spices
    1 serving pasta
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just made a shepherd's pie but substituted squash for the meat and the mashed potatoes. Saved lots of calories, added more flavor, and I may never go back.

LOL I was wondering too.

I'm going to try skinnytaste zucchini tots today I think. We bought two huge zucchini (one is orange, which I've never seen before) and some yellow squash and I have to find something to do with them.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Cube up butternut squash and lighyly toss with olive oil then roast in oven 450 with some crumbled bacon and sprinkles of brown sugar or a little maple syrup..... I serve it with center cut pork chops that have been marinated in a mesquite flavor and grilled.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

LOL I was wondering too.

I'm going to try skinnytaste zucchini tots today I think. We bought two huge zucchini (one is orange, which I've never seen before) and some yellow squash and I have to find something to do with them.

Quoting myself.

Made the tots. Pretty good. I fail at getting enough liquid out though, that's why I avoid baking with zucchini.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    To add to the list, I saw a recipe on MFP for Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash and made it over the weekend and it was amazing. Probably my favorite spaghetti squash recipe to date!

http://thehonoursystem.com/2014/03/14/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-chicken-beans-gluten-free/
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I will be having butternut squash with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce
  • Francl27
    Options
    I will be having butternut squash with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce

Love it. Or with homemade Bolognese sauce.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    So I baked the buttecup squash tonight. Whole squash with the top half peeled. (the peel is actually soft and can be eaten along with the rest.)Sprayed with a little olive oil and dry rub of salt, pepper and rosemary and just a little butter when it came out of the oven.

350* for about 45 minutes.

OH my!! I will definitely be buying this variety again. It was delicious!
  • Francl27
    Options
    So I baked the buttecup squash tonight. Whole squash with the top half peeled. (the peel is actually soft and can be eaten along with the rest.)Sprayed with a little olive oil and dry rub of salt, pepper and rosemary and just a little butter when it came out of the oven.

350* for about 45 minutes.

OH my!! I will definitely be buying this variety again. It was delicious!

Yes it is!