How important is fat?

Options
I am new to this... I know that balance is the key.

I was wondering how important is it to stay below the amount of fat that we are alloted for each day?

I have 40g of fat a day... I have been going over this but I do not feel guilty because I am eating "healthy" fats - Eggs & Avocado mostly. Is this still bad? I am trying very hard to eat "low" carb and high protein to gain muscle and loose fat.

Feel free to check out my daily diary. Any advice?

- Kait

P.S. Feel free to add me as a friend! I need all of the motivation I can get.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fat carbs and proteins are all good. It's all about they type you are getting. You are on the right track by getting healthy fats. I would not worry about going over either.

You can eat carbs too if they're complex carbs of the whole grain variety. Try to stay away from processed carbs and added sugars.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I only track saturated fat.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say is, a friend of mine was on a low fat diet for like a year and a half, she lost like 125 pounds....but she also lost her hair, her skin luster and just looked gray, like the color of a corpse...her nails were shot and her skin was flakey.....so fat is necissary to some extent, but not fat from deep fried oreos or big macs....mmmm a hamburger sounds sooo good right now
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    In my humble opinion, not at all important. I don't know who did it, but an actual study showed that a calorie-controlled yet high-fat diet was more effective for weight loss than one low in fat. A low-fat diet that is not calorie controlled, however, is more effective than a high-fat diet that's not calorie controlled (frankly, because it has less calories.)

The truth is, fat is a beautiful thing. It keeps you fuller longer than protein or carbs. It makes high-GI foods, ones that are more likely to turn to fat due to insulin spikes, raise blood sugar more slowly - so a baked potato with olive oil is better for a diet than one without, as long as you account for the calories. It's important for vitamin absorption and overall health, as well as the appearance of your hair, skin and nails.

So really, fat is not the enemy. At all. Ever. Even saturated fat and cholesterol have not actually been proven to raise the level of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood - refined carbs such as white bread do that.

Plus, there's a reason fat tastes so good. It's a dense energy source. Enjoy it ;D
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    BE Very careful.....make sure you get enough fat in you diet!! I wasn't and my hair started to fall out....my doctor told me it was because I lost a lot of weight and not getting enough fat in my diet!! So just be very careful!!! Good luck!!
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I reckon fat fills you up, so you're less likely to go off track. Don't worry about it.
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Eating fat does not make you fat despite what is commonly thought. I eat low carb and here is my macro nutrient break down: 10% carbs, 35% protein & 55% fat.

I was on a low carb/low fat diet and my hair too started falling out. Now that I eat fat again, my hair is coming back!

Fat keeps you feeling satisfied longer. I used to need to eat every 2-3 hours and now I only get hungry after about 5 hours.

Eat some bacon!!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    BE Very careful.....make sure you get enough fat in you diet!! I wasn't and my hair started to fall out....my doctor told me it was because I lost a lot of weight and not getting enough fat in my diet!! So just be very careful!!! Good luck!!

I am not trying to cut fat... At all. Just carbs/sugar.

I just wasn't sure if I went over ... If that was a big deal.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I am eating low carb - high protein

Not really low fat...

So I don't know where all of this hair falling out thing is coming from.

I think I am good.