Late night snacking

Options
Any suggestions for stopping late night snacking? I do great all day, but after dinner I have trouble!! It doesn't help that almost every commercial is a food advertisement!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ljcourt1 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for stopping late night snacking? I do great all day, but after dinner I have trouble!! It doesn't help that almost every commercial is a food advertisement!!

Stop watching commercials!

This sounds like eating in front of the TV. Take up a hobby, keep your hands busy, find a bit of distraction.

When I sit down in front of the TV I have a big glass of ice water. Then I crochet or I play solitaire on my Kindle. When I am slightly distracted I don't think about food. You might play the "Deck of Cards Workout" during commercials.............

Deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

Otherwise save room for something. I eat light popcorn, but I limit the amount.
  • Ljcourt1
    Ljcourt1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Plan your day so you can save some calories for evening after dinner. Make it at least a couple hours afterwards before you get anything, and plan ahead of time what you can have. Knowing you have something you can have later will help. If I really want a snack, I tell myself to wait an hour and see if I'm still hungry. If I am, I get up and make popcorn. It's filling, and even popped in oil isn't going to add on a lot of calories.

Also, find something to do with your hands. Arts and crafts of some kind, play solitaire, paint your nails, doesn't matter what just find something. I prefer arts and crafts because that's a very wide category, it requires me to use my hands and brain, but if it's something I've done a lot, I can still pay attention to the tv.
  • Ljcourt1
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I am hungry late at night, I drink a full cup of water. If I drink all that and are still hungry, I grab fruit or popcorn. Most of the time I find I am just thirsty.

Sometimes I drink a glass of milk too.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat after dinner! Allow some room in your day for a small snack before bedtime. I am a total night owl and stay up later than I should. I find that the snack attacks hit then because obviously, if I'm going to be awake for six hours after dinner versus three hours, I'm going to feel hungry. They are all pieces in the puzzle of a healthier lifestyle that I'm still learning.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    You could start by not watching as much TV, or switching to commercial reduced or free TV (Netflix, online streaming straight from the provider, DVR all have less commercials than traditional cable or OTA).

Also, you can do what I do and save calories for after dinner. I typically skip breakfast because I would rather have food after dinner than when I first wake up. I typically eat at 11AM, 5PM, and 8-9PM. My 11 and 5 meals are my biggest and the 8-9 o'clock eating typically comes in at only a few hundred calories.

However, I have to say that tonight might be mud slide night. Its shaping up to have over 600 calories left over after dinner. :innocent:
  • Ljcourt1
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!