Do cheat meals help weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone, I've been a my fitness pal member for a long time but have never actually been consistent with logging my food. As a result, my weight has also been up and down and I've gained 20 pounds in the last year. My lab work was recently done and my TSH was a little high, but I can't blame my thyroid for my poor eating habits and inactivity. However, it does concern me a bit that I will now struggle with losing the 44 pounds I hope to lose.

I have heard different things regarding cheat meals and that they help you stay on track with your diet the rest of the week since you will always have something to look forward to. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Sweep79
    Sweep79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have quite a lots of treats. I either 'earn' them through exercise or I do have a 'cheat' day, making sure that it doesn't take me too far over in the week as a whole. I.e. maintaining a good deficit by doing well the other six days. So far, I am losing a steady 2 pounds per week. (I want to shift 50lb so similar goal).
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's to provide relief from the monotony of dieting. Refeeds are helpful if you are doing low carb or cyclical carb diets. I have found that during my low carb diet refeeds helped kick start fat loss. If you are lean trying to get leaner it is necessary IMO. For normal dieters just weigh your food, exercise and eat at a deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about them. If you eat at a deficit all week and go well above maintenance due to your cheat meal, the size of your deficit decreases. You could shave off 100 calories from your deficit instead, then add 600 calories to a day of your week, log, enjoy, and keep losing at the same rate. It's really up to you. But if you stop losing at the rate you want, you need to get your cheat day/meal in check.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    From a psychological/adherence perspective only you know the answer to that.

From a weight loss perspective all that matters is a calorie deficit.

I'd personally just eat all the things you consider to be a "cheat" whenever you want, ensuring you stay within the calorie and macronutritional goals you set yourself.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What has been said in these forums by so many and what really ultimately matters for weight loss is maintaining a calorie deficit. There are numerous methods that people employ in order to achieve this. For some people having a cheat meal or day to look forward to keeps them on track all week (as long as the cheat meal/day doesn't overcompensate for the deficit all week). For others a cheat meal or day can completely derail their healthy eating. Some people find that certain foods just need to be completely eliminated from their diet as it they cause excessive bingeing, while others are able to enjoy everything in moderation. Also "cheat" can mean a lot of different things.In the past when I was eating a very low calorie diet a cheat was eating a piece of bread. It really depends on what works for you to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I've been a my fitness pal member for a long time but have never actually been consistent with logging my food. As a result, my weight has also been up and down and I've gained 20 pounds in the last year.

My lab work was recently done and my TSH was a little high, but I can't blame my thyroid for my poor eating habits and inactivity. However, it does concern me a bit that I will now struggle with losing the 44 pounds I hope to lose.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I don't "cheat." I eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into my calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    For long term success don't think about these as "cheat meals". Just make small changes to your life that will become habitual. Don't try anything drastic as you simply will not be able to stick with it over any length of time. If you make small changes, reach a goal, then make more changes - it makes it much easier to reach your long term goal.

There's no real secret to logging, other than making you aware of what's going in your stomach. As in all things the key to success is consistency.

Check my diary last night - after a 12 hour workday, mowing the lawn, and finishing up grouting a tile project I got into a bad habit and didn't portion out Goldfish - I grabbed the bag and grazed while catching up on Netflix. Logged it, but still within my calorie goals for the day.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    To lose weight right, in my opinion, you need to think of it not as cheating. Eating food isn't something you should be ashamed of. No food is good/bad. Learning to eat smaller amounts of what you love is what makes this long term. If you don't learn that, you'll lose weight, go on maintenance and go hog wild because you've deprived yourself of things you like for so long, and then gain the weight back. AKA Yo Yoing.

So, invest in a food scale and a tub of your favorite ice cream. Put the bowl on the scale, measure out a serving, fit it into your day's worth of calories, enjoy. This is not considered "cheating" this is considered "life".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I don't like the concept of cheat meals. I do eat bigger meals on the weekend but I earn them by exercising more earlier in the day. Some people have great success working on a weekly deficit - I prefer to stick to a daily one.

I do budget calories for little treats at the end of the day like 70 calories worth of Ghiradelli chocolate chips.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont do cheat meals. i eat what i want, and make it fit in my calorie goals. I workout to give me a few extra calories to play with (errr drink with). There are days or times where i eat around maintenance, but those are fairly infrequent.
  • ErinV1974
    ErinV1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    For long term success don't think about these as "cheat meals". Just make small changes to your life that will become habitual. Don't try anything drastic as you simply will not be able to stick with it over any length of time. If you make small changes, reach a goal, then make more changes - it makes it much easier to reach your long term goal.

There's no real secret to logging, other than making you aware of what's going in your stomach. As in all things the key to success is consistency.

Check my diary last night - after a 12 hour workday, mowing the lawn, and finishing up grouting a tile project I got into a bad habit and didn't portion out Goldfish - I grabbed the bag and grazed while catching up on Netflix. Logged it, but still within my calorie goals for the day.

Wow, that's an awful lot of calories for some stinkin' goldfish! WTG on staying within your goal!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've been a my fitness pal member for a long time but have never actually been consistent with logging my food. As a result, my weight has also been up and down and I've gained 20 pounds in the last year. My lab work was recently done and my TSH was a little high, but I can't blame my thyroid for my poor eating habits and inactivity. However, it does concern me a bit that I will now struggle with losing the 44 pounds I hope to lose.

I have heard different things regarding cheat meals and that they help you stay on track with your diet the rest of the week since you will always have something to look forward to. What are your thoughts?

I don't do cheat meals, I simply eat what I want and like in moderation, which includes daily treats.

As long as you say within your calorie goals for the week, whether or not that includes what you personally define as a cheat meal, you will lose weight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ErinV1974 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Wow, that's an awful lot of calories for some stinkin' goldfish! WTG on staying within your goal!

LOL I know - would be much better spent on a six pack :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think about "cheat meals" either. I'm an inconsistent eater - some days I'm under, others way over. My only rule is "log everything". My theory is that over time, awareness will change my behavior. It works, too - Iost about 20lb last year with this approach. I only put it back on when I stopped logging.

I do wonder if a variable calorie intake - going over maintenance some days - could trick the body into not noticing the overall deficit and so reduce the chance of it using energy-saving measures to sabotage your weight loss But this is just a vague hypothesis I ponder sometimes, based on nothing Anyone got a research grant and feel like running a study?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It helps with my sanity, and that's all I care about. However, I call it a "splurge" rather than a "cheat." I don't like the term "cheat" because it assumes you're getting one over on someone or something, but you're not.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I appreciate the responses because I feel like I need to have one night a week to enjoy the dinner of my choice and a few glasses of wine. It will give me something to look forward to and keep me on track other days. I do plan to log my meal that day as well, and exercise to help with the excess intake.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hashimotos here as well. I have lost 15lbs in a month but I have over 100lbs to lose. I follow a paleo style diet everyday but WI day. On WI day I chose to eat whatever I really want for dinner that day. Last week pizza this week BBQ and I was down 3.2lbs this week. Seems to be working probably due to deficit CI/CO. But its nice to know if I want some dark chocolate or a glass of wine I can count for it and still lose.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    For me, a cheat meal or cheat day is a great way to throw away all the progress I've made the several days leading up to the "cheat". I'd rather stick to the plan and accomplish my goal.