Scale/ accountability

Options
2»

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Once a day. I know which weight is water weight and which is fat. I allow any water weight fluctuation, but if I gain a pound of fat, I'll eat at a deficit until it's gone.

How do you know the difference between water weight and actual gain

I know in part because I have been logging for 18 months. I am very diligent to log as accurately as possible. The calories I need for my TDEE are spot on with what MFP tells me they should be. When I was set to lose 1 pound a week, average over time I did. So I know the other fluctuations are water. When I set it to 1/2 a pound a week, and added 250 calories more per day, I lost average over time 1/2 a pound a week. And when I hit maintenance and added another 250 calories back per day, I have maintained on average over time exactly.

If I go over on my calories, I keep a tally. If I go over by 3500 calories, the scale will show 1 pound gain. So I eat at a deficit until I've made up those 3500 calories, and over time the scale goes back down.

When the scale changes quickly, I know it's water. When the scale changes and the number's I've eaten haven't, I know it's water. And I have a long track record to back it up, which gives me confidence in the numbers.

I hope that makes sense.

• desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Once a day. I know which weight is water weight and which is fat. I allow any water weight fluctuation, but if I gain a pound of fat, I'll eat at a deficit until it's gone.

I know in part because I have been logging for 18 months. I am very diligent to log as accurately as possible. The calories I need for my TDEE are spot on with what MFP tells me they should be. When I was set to lose 1 pound a week, average over time I did. So I know the other fluctuations are water. When I set it to 1/2 a pound a week, and added 250 calories more per day, I lost average over time 1/2 a pound a week. And when I hit maintenance and added another 250 calories back per day, I have maintained on average over time exactly.

If I go over on my calories, I keep a tally. If I go over by 3500 calories, the scale will show 1 pound gain. So I eat at a deficit until I've made up those 3500 calories, and over time the scale goes back down.

When the scale changes quickly, I know it's water. When the scale changes and the number's I've eaten haven't, I know it's water. And I have a long track record to back it up, which gives me confidence in the numbers.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes it does
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, log in Happy Scale and watch the trend. It's exactly what I did when I was losing as well.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    1x a week. Will allow myself to fluctuate between 147 - 152, so 5lbs. But I'm usually in the 150 range.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have just entered into maintenance about a month ago. I have found myself getting on the scale daily still. I find I start getting nervous when I am about 3lbs above my lowest weight which is 146lbs. That so far has been my cue to watch it!
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »

Charting will show you this. The LINE is your true weight. A spike is water.
    gb9qs705u7x0.jpg

What app is that please?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning naked and after I pee... Just a habit. I don't get overly bugged out as long as I trend the way I want to over time.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

gb9qs705u7x0.jpg

What app is that please?

Libra for Android
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing maintenance (recomp). Ive lost 30lbs and i've 2.5 pounds left to drop until my initial goal of 119 pounds.

So, when those last 2.5 pounds finally get the message and tittle-off my plan is to continue weighing daily (every other day at most) so that i can keep an eye on things. I feel like a lot of damage could be done in 1 week if im gaining all week and didnt realise it, so regular weigh-ins will be my way of keeping tighter in check, at least until i have a solid, effective maintenance program set up, which i figure will take me a while of playing with calories until i hit my sweet-spot for maintenance.

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    weigh once a week, with about a 5 lb fluctuation.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

gb9qs705u7x0.jpg

What app is that please?

Libra for Android
    I like using Libra. Now I need a wifi scale (Withings or Aria) to auto input the data.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

gb9qs705u7x0.jpg

@257_Lag what app is this?

Where did you find it?
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    pmanney wrote: »
    Weigh 1-3x a week, vary by +/-1.5 lbs approx.

I am more forgiving. I weigh once a month and know I can fluctuate 2-4 pounds.

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Every morning, from 165 to 168#. It's easy to simply do it every day.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Daily. 2 lbs. Also continue to log. Found when I didn't do this I gained.
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    every day, just became a habit, but I measure my body fat % once a week with SkuptAim. weight loss became totally uninteresting since I started lifting, now my focus is on reducing my body fat and gaining muscle mass :smiley:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Monday to Friday- once a day - fluctuation can be as much as 4 - more than that is a warning and I weigh again in the afternoon and will usually be lower. I don't weigh on the weekend as I can be up to 10 over, in most cases that will be gone by Monday morning.