Stuffed peppers recipe needed.

Options
Terri70
Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
Hi all! Was wondering if any of y'all have a really good, on plan recipe for stuffed green bell peppers. One of my professors is bringing me a bunch of peppers from his garden and I have never had stuffed peppers. Thought this would be a great time to try them if I could find a good recipe.

Anyone?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    What I do is, clean and hollow out the peppers. Dice the tops off and set aside. Steam the peppers for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Brown up your choice of meat (any ground meat tastes great) with diced mushrooms and the diced peppers from top. Add a can of tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce, similar amount.) Mix through and bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake 5 more minutes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I absolutely love these peppers Enchilada Stuffed and they freeze great in single servings.
    I use red peppers, but you can use any peppers you'd like.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What I do is, clean and hollow out the peppers. Dice the tops off and set aside. Steam the peppers for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Brown up your choice of meat (any ground meat tastes great) with diced mushrooms and the diced peppers from top. Add a can of tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce, similar amount.) Mix through and bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake 5 more minutes.

I do something similar, except I cook the peppers in the oven while I prepare the meat, I don't use mushrooms (hate them) but I brown the meat with onions and I add some rice with the spaghetti sauce.

For one person I use

1 pepper
    4oz of raw meat
    50g of onion
    100g of spaghetti sauce (I like it instead of plain tomato sauce as I don't have to add spices)
    60g cooked rice
    20ish grams of shredded mozzarella

It's a lot of food but it's one of my favorite dishes and it's just so easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm lazy......I just dump all the ingredients in a big pot for soup.

(From Cooking Light) Stuffed Pepper Soup
    1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice. If you add uncooked rice and water to the pot, there is no need to cook the rice separately.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Mine is similar to @francl27's except I use about 3 tbsp of uncooked quinoa for each pepper instead of any rice, and I will use finely chopped squash, eggplant, or spinach instead of the meat.

While the veggies give up more liquid than the meat will, the uncooked quinoa will absorb it make it bind together, and the quinoa will cook completely in the time it takes to bake the peppers.
  • pattyvasi
    pattyvasi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't brown the meat first. Yesterday I used 3# ground beef, 1 c. rice par boiled, onion powder, garlic powder. I mix together and put in peppers (not par cooked). For the sauce, I use 1 can tomato soup, 2 cans of tomato juice (low sodium) of course and water just to the top of the pepper, I also added a can of sauerkraut. I cook on the stove for about an hour - 1 1/2 hours. the peppers are nicely cooked.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love the stuffed pepper soup but I also make a lazy version of stuffed peppers in one pan on the stovetop.

I brown up ground beef with garlic and onion, drain the fat, throw in some diced tomatoes, a little water, slice the peppers into chunks add those, toss in a handful of instant rice and let it simmer until the rice cooks and the peppers soften. You can add whatever spices you like, I like mine spicy so I add some red pepper flakes, fresh black pepper, and some italian seasoning. YUMMMMMMY
  • lil_catcher2000
    lil_catcher2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I am definitely stealing these recipes from you ladies! YUM! :)
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    OMG y'all are making me even hungrier! lol These all sound delish!!