1200 calories?

Options
How on earth am I supposed to eat only 1200 calories? I stay away from carbs and sugars and tried to eat only lean meats. but by the end of the day I always seem to go over the 1200 calorie goal. how is everybody doing this? I stay at home and cook 90% of our meals, so eating out is not an issue. and when I say cook, I mean cutting up fresh vegetables and lean meats and cooking everything by hand. I just don't know what to do :/

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how you got to the 1200? Are you quite active? I'm 5ft2, have a sedentary job but work out 4 times a week and I am on 1500 to lose 0.5 per week. I used to have 1200 and it was HARD.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I use intermittent fasting to keep my cals low...I simply don't consume calories until 4 or 5pm, and then I can 2 big meals and a small dessert, before I sleep at like 10pm..

Been working for me for months, but I will say that on my days off, where I don't keep busy between 9am-5pm, I do struggle and often go over my goal by a couple hundred
  • teggychick25
    teggychick25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stay at home with 2 little kids, so I'm not that active. I'm 5'4" and I need to lose 75 lbs by March. Which is 2 lbs a week. I'm getting up every morning before they wake up to exercise, but the 1200 is not counting that. When I do count the exercise it's easier to meet my day goal, but if I don't get in the exercise...then there is no way I can meet the 1200.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default & it's before exercise. So you have 2 choices; dial back your weekly weight loss goal or add exercise to give yourself added calories.

You don't need to steer clear of carbs (or sugar) to lose weight....I just eat regular food in smaller portions. I can't do 1200, and I'm older so 1200 is kinda close to my goal.

Just find a number you can live with for awhile. It's about staying consistent. That's less likely if you are miserable.
  • TrishaBates
    TrishaBates Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How on earth am I supposed to eat only 1200 calories? I stay away from carbs and sugars and tried to eat only lean meats. but by the end of the day I always seem to go over the 1200 calorie goal. how is everybody doing this? I stay at home and cook 90% of our meals, so eating out is not an issue. and when I say cook, I mean cutting up fresh vegetables and lean meats and cooking everything by hand. I just don't know what to do :/

Be sure you have lots of friends on MFP, review diaries. It has helped me find great food choices and new ideas I NEVER would have thought of myself. :)
  • teggychick25
    teggychick25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to loose 75 lbs by March? Is it a self set or doctor set goal? It might not stick if you go that extreme- that is about 3 lbs a week.
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Options
    I'm on a 1200c diet but I also go to the gym almost every day (I miss a day here And there) with that I take in 1500-2000c depending on how long my workout is
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I stay at home with 2 little kids, so I'm not that active. I'm 5'4" and I need to lose 75 lbs by March. Which is 2 lbs a week. I'm getting up every morning before they wake up to exercise, but the 1200 is not counting that. When I do count the exercise it's easier to meet my day goal, but if I don't get in the exercise...then there is no way I can meet the 1200.

I wouldn't call home with 2 little ones "not active". You could probably either increase you activity level or decrease the your weekly weightloss goal to increase calories some. If you can't get to 1200, it might mean you shouldn't be there.

Scooby calculator says you should be at about a bit over 1500 with a pretty big deficit. (I guessed at current weight)
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use intermittent fasting to keep my cals low...I simply don't consume calories until 4 or 5pm, and then I can 2 big meals and a small dessert, before I sleep at like 10pm..

Been working for me for months, but I will say that on my days off, where I don't keep busy between 9am-5pm, I do struggle and often go over my goal by a couple hundred

How do you make it until 4 or 5 before eating? I would be moody,have a headache and be soooo hungry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I stay at home with 2 little kids, so I'm not that active.

With two little kids, you are probably at least lightly active. MFP's sedentary setting is super sedentary. I'd change that.

Also, at 5'4 you just have a lower maintenance than bigger people (I'm 5'3, it's annoying, I know). There's nothing wrong with doing, say, 1.5 lb/week. Having a calorie goal you meet consistently is more effective than a more aggressive goal you struggle to meet and often don't, and many will end up eating more if they feel deprived.

That said, I did 1250 for a while at the beginning and found it was okay if I ate only three meals (having regular-sized meals is more important to me than snacks), ate lots and lots of vegetables (I'm a volume eater), focused on lean meats and kept my portions of starchy stuff (like potatoes) small.

My diary back in March through summer '14 shows this if you want to look.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

There is a thread in this forum section if you feel you want/have to go down to 1200 calories it's a mostly great discussion with a lot of sensible real life ideas of getting the best bang for you buck out of that number...I believe the thread is entitled "1200 calories how do you do it". Hope this helps in whatever you decide.

• meganhopkins22
    meganhopkins22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can get there in 1200 calories/day, but it takes a lot of advanced planning. I am on 1200 calories (trying to lose 50 lbs in a year) - I drink a protein shake for breakfast at 9 am, which gets me to lunch at 1 pm (160 calories for a 30g protein shake). Lunch is a salad with a lean protein (~400 calories), which leaves me with a little over 600 calories for dinner. Soup is a great low-cal option is you get to the end of your day with less calories than you'd hoped. I go over sometimes, but if you shoot for 1200, then your overage still lands you at 1500 or so, which is a good buffer.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

How do you make it until 4 or 5 before eating? I would be moody,have a headache and be soooo hungry!

I just heard about IF, thought it would help me reach deficit goals, and started trying...the first couple days were harder but now I barely think about food for the first half of my day, especially as I'm busy at work...as I said, on days off I struggle hahaha.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for 6 months here. Almost at goal, but I'm also petite and set at sedentary. I eat back half of my exercise calories (I burn 250-700 calories/day ).

It's do-able, but it takes some getting used to.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories / day for 2 months, along with going to the gym 10 times / week (twice / day for 5 days, cardio for 7 of those times). until I burnt myself out after a period of time.
    1200 calories is easy.
    3x 400 calorie meals.
    And if you're only eating lean meats and veggies. Then its even easier.
    Chicken. 300 grams is like 70-90g protein, and under 350 calories. (2 large chicken breast fillets).
    Mushrooms, broccoli, baby carrots, kale and spinach, lots of green veggies, and even frozen mixed veggies (I have ones that come in 125g bags that you microwave to steam cook them and are only 70 calories / bag).
    My dinners for the last few nights have been like 60g protein from lean marinated chicken. + 125-200g of those steamed veggies, that are 70-100 calories.
    And many other fruits and veggies are super low calorie.

chicken, tuna, turkey, haddock, plaice, cod, and a good few other lean fishes are all 'roughly' the same protein/calories per gram.

You can buy sandwhich breads/thins, that are under 100 calories. (where as 'most' slices of bread are 80ish calories, so being +-160 calories in a sandwhich without even including butter / spreads, meat and/or cheese).
    I buy these 96 calorie sandwhich thins/breads, a little bit of butter, and a decent helping of chicken or turkey slices (tikka/cajun if i want some flavour), and i have a full sandwhich with 20ish grams protein, and under 200 calories.

So straight up, your 1200 calorie limit is ridiculous. You're being too aggressive with your weight loss / week goals, you're being too lazy and just being sedentary or almost comatose on a day to day basis. Or you're already an Extremely underweight person to begin with and shouldn't be losing more. Its one of those 3 that your daily calories are as low as 1200. And any of those 3 reasons, is stupidity.

And if it had to be 1200 calories. Its still easy. Random example meals for one day.

Breakfast
    Porridge + low fat protein milk = <200 calories
    1 large egg scrambled with tiny bit of butter = <100 calories.
    (20-25g protein)

Snack
    Medium apple + a dozen or so grapes = <100 calories
    (little to no protein)

Lunch
    Sandwhich thin/bread + butter + chicken or turkey slices = <200-250 calories
    (25-30g protein)

Dinner
    200g Haddock fillet = <230 calories
    200g steamed veggies = <110 calories
    (40-50g protein)

Snack
    Bar of chocolate = 200ish calories (minimum protein)
    or
    2 slices of wholewheat toast + peanut butter = 220ish calories (10-15g protein)
    or
    Protein shake = 100-200 calories (23-46g protein)
    or
    weight watchers desserts = 150-170 cal (think 5g protein)
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    look up layne norton on youtube. you shouldn't be starting out at 1200 calories. what are you going to do after you stall in 2-3months? 800 calories? first you need to figure out what maintenance is for you. do HIT cardio 3x a week (alternate between chasing kids and walking), lift weights 3x a week (as much as is possible with two kids at home, can use bodyweight exercises). After you've determined maintenance calories, then start cutting from there until you see 2lbs a week weight loss, it might be 1200, but it might be 1500. good luck!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot on 1200 calories. I generally have a hard time getting to it, but I do eat high protein and lower carb per doctor's orders.

My mornings also start with about half a pot of coffee and I blow calories on creamer instead of eating, but that's more because I am not hungry in the AM.