1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Can't agree with anyone who says 1200 is "easy"... I wouldn't be able to do it. It seems sensible to start with more calories and a slightly slower weight loss.

There's something to be said for not making yourself absolutely miserable.
  • banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1200 a day IS hard. I've been aiming for 12-13 hundred a day, and some days it feels ok and I have trouble taking in all the food: other days it feels like such a tiny amount and I end up binge eating to make up for it. A diet you can succeed at and sustain will get you better results in the long run. Mindful eating is helping: sometimes I'm surprised at how little I need to feel full when I'm paying attention.

I go for small, frequent meals of around 200 calories each. The foods I try to choose are high-nutrient, low-calorie: fresh fruit and veggies like spinach and cabbage (anything in the crucifore family, which includes brussels sprouts and broccoli, kholrabi, bok choy); spaghetti squash is my new best friend! Almond milk is a great low-cal alternative. I build my menu around foods that will fill me up and nourish me, then add in higher-calorie foods. It takes a lot of spinach to get to 1200 calories :) If I'm sick of straight veg my strategy is typically to splurge, calorically speaking, on sauce or seasonings- curry, alfredo, etc.

I've noticed that for me, drinking water makes a huge difference: I feel full and I am not tempted to eat just because I'm dehydrated.

Here are a few suggestions for tasty mini-meals:

-5 ounces spaghetti squash, 2 oz tuna and 1/4 cup alfredo sauce (yummm! Trying it with broccoli for dinner)
    -1/5 c frozen mixed vegetables, 1/2 c cottage cheese (I love Nancy's, it has active cultures!)
    -1 c Greek yogurt with 1/4 c blueberries (Fage and Voskos are pricey but pack a ton of protein!)
    -6 slices turkey with mustard; 4 oz grapes
    -4 oz chicken, 4 oz shredded cabbage, 3 oz spinach (this is my go-to lunch, with dressings and add-ins. Hard boiled egg is also an awesome protein source here).

Pauline Nordin's Fighter Diet principles have helped me out a lot, although I haven't bough the actual diet plan.

Sorry about the novel. I'm really into nutrition lately :) Keep up the good work!

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sidenote: you'd be surprised what a large filling breakfast can do for oyu during a day.
    600-700 calories, I had this high complex carb, protein, and fat pancake (egg, protein powder, almond flakes, oatbran, milled flax seeds) for that amount of claories. Had it at like 7am. Didn't feel hungry (even while working for 9 hours), till 6pm, and even then, only had dinner because i didn't eat all day since that pancake, and was only feeling peckish, not overly hungry.

So that's another route you could try yourself with. A large nutritious breakfast, and see how far into the day that gets you. You may not even need or want to eat until dinner time. Then have a medium sized dinner, and you might squeeze in an after-dinner snack too
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    check out this thread... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

Because you are shorter, you are probably starting out with lower maintenance cals. Depending on how much you HAVE to lose (vs how much you WANT to lose), losing 85 pounds by March is potentially (ok, most likely) unrealistic.

If you have a life event happening on that date, then perhaps consider this...

Do you want to do everything possible (including harm yourself physically) so that you can hit that "75 pounds lost" goal - even if it means that you may be miserable up to that point, if not potentially sick...

or

Do you want to set some realistic goals, learn to adjust your eating, and go for a lesser weight lost (say 40 pounds), but have more energy and still look great?

If your goal is to look great, and feel great... I am VERY confident that the second option is the better choice.

And.. for the number geeks:

Crunching the math...
    March 1, 2016 is 198 days away = approx 28 weeks.
    At 2lb a week, that is around 56 pounds.
    At 1.5 pounds a week, that is around 42 pounds

Unless you have a very high starting weight, I can say that you probably won't be able to hit or sustain a 2lb per week goal. It may be hard to even hit 1.5 pounds.

CPDChart_zpsf7cfad36.jpg
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Typically with that few calories the biggest challenge is your fat intake. If you do about 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound and 1 gram of carbs per pound your fat intake is probably pretty low. However I agree it depends on what your current weight is and how active you are with exercise.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @MireyGal76 I admire this kind of geekery.
  • AngelaH1225
    AngelaH1225 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been working on a 1200-1300 calorie discipline plan for about a month. I don't solely focus on the calorie count (which can make you crazy!), I focus more on the nutritional content. Each below is marked in servings.
    Breakfast (between 250-300): 1 protein + 1 fruit (veggies if desired)
    Lunch (between 350-400): 1 protein + 1 leafy green + 1 veggie + 1 taste enhancer (like butter or dressing)
    Snack (between 100-200): 1 protein + 1 fruit or veggie
    Dinner: (between 350-400): 1 protein + 1 starch/grain + 2 veggies + leafy greens + 1 taste enhancer
    Snack (about 100): 1 fruit or veggie
    I'm not a big fan of salads, but I have found ways to flavor the salads and make them tasty. I believe my palate is changing to actually look forward to and enjoy the variety of salads I can make. And I am a big fan of starches so this has been a challenge. My go to snack at night actually has become air-popped popcorn - even though it's an additional starch, it also is very filling and helps with sleeping better.

I have found this plan to be very filling and helps me not miss the junky stuff I used to eat. Am I successful every day? No, and that's ok....it helps to look at the long term goal rather than the short speed bumps along the way. :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    How on earth am I supposed to eat only 1200 calories? I stay away from carbs and sugars and tried to eat only lean meats. but by the end of the day I always seem to go over the 1200 calorie goal. how is everybody doing this? I stay at home and cook 90% of our meals, so eating out is not an issue. and when I say cook, I mean cutting up fresh vegetables and lean meats and cooking everything by hand. I just don't know what to do :/

I get 1520 calories before exercise, and I exercise. My body seems to want at least 1800 calories. I'm losing 1 pound per week and am not suffering. If I were miserable, this wouldn't be sustainable.

Do try bumping your activity level up to Lightly Active and see if that helps.

• MireyGal76
    Options
    @MireyGal76 I admire this kind of geekery.

:flowerforyou:

I am a total spreadsheet geek. lol
    56831082.jpg
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I aim for an average of 1200 per day but not each day. I incorporate 5:2 fasting. So two days a week I only have 500 calories. I do a modified version of the diet so two days I only do 1,000 cal as well. After that three days a week are 1800 calorie days.
    For me it is becoming easy to follow and as I figure out the right foods, and have the money to buy the right foods, I am sure it will even get easier.
    I face issues such as ITP, IR/pre-diabetes, pcos, and anemias so for me to lose weight I start out with a lower bmr/caloric need - thus the 1200/day average where others might be able to lose at 1500/day or greater.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm a little brusk as a person, so please know that I'm not trying to be brusk in what I'm writing below. I'm just trying to get to the point to help you.

1,200 is the minimum number of calories the human body has to have in it every day to survive. Otherwise, the brain tissue, muscle tissue, bone marrow, organ tissue, and other vital parts start to break down. Weight loss is a bad term and instead, I try to tell everyone I meet to focus on burning fat, because that is what you actually hope to achieve: burn fat, build muscle, and change your body shape. Weight loss alone doesn't actually achieve this. Having said that, in order to burn fat and change your body permanently, you will have to both work out and exercise, and ensure that you're getting proper nutrients. If you are working out or lead an active lifestyle (with two children at home I assume you are moderately active) then you will need to really pay attention to 1,200 NET. That means after you exercise you still ate 1,200 calories...if you eat 1,500 calories and workout for 300 calories, then you are 1,200 NET.

And now that I'm done with the preface...I have done 1200 NET eating adjustments multiple times in the past and it is not actually that difficult, although I know it can seem like an insurmountable task. A lot of people on this thread are yacking at you about sugar, or only eating lean meats and veggies. But the truth is that 99% of the issue is portion control. I can eat Domino's Pizza and still come in at 1,200 NET because I don't eat half a pizza by myself.

Focus on using 1,200 as a base amount and then require yourself to exercise so you can earn more calories. And remember to use portion control.

I'm friending you so you can see in my diary what I mean when you see that I've eaten quite a bit of food today but have amassed less than 500 calories because of the way in which I choose to apply calories and food. I am careful to measure when I need to so that I get appropriate portions. 4 ounces of chicken, for example, is less than most people think it is. If you cook a whole chicken breast and eat it, chances are you're eating 2-3 portions of chicken. And so the answer is to weigh meats every time. I also like to tell everyone to limit dairy products, limit bread products, and stop drinking calories. I am not opposed to meal replacement protein shakes, but I am opposed to most fruit juices, soda pop (though I'm very guilty of that!), and drinks other than water, except in short supply.

Remember, most importantly, you have to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound. If you're not exercising, getting enough protein and ensuring that you have all your nutrients, that will be a pound of muscle, and since you're aiming to burn fat, it's important to remember that the amount of calories you consume is far less important to your future and to your body than the kinds of nutrients you're getting and whether or not you're exercising (I'm not saying they aren't important but if you eat 1,500 and exercise, you're still going to burn fat when you exercise).
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I manage to eat 1200 cals a day and I have breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I just pre-plan my meals.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has started to cover the "should you be doing 1200 calories?" issue, but if it IS appropriate for you (which it sounds like it might be, as you're female, not tall, don't have an active job and didn't mention exercise), it is possible.

You have to be very cautious with your diet, because 1200 does not leave a lot of wiggle room for calories that aren't providing the right macro- and micro-nutrients. I found that it was easiest for me to avoid most starches and eat mostly protein, vegetables and an adequate amount of fat. It kept me feeling fuller and more satisfied than even complex carbs like whole grains did. Also, you can eat a ton of many vegetables (apart from root ones) for 200 calories, and they supply lots of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) as well as fibre, which both makes you feel full and keeps your digestion healthy.

Most days when I was on 1200 calories per day I ate yogurt and/or eggs (or just a protein bar) for breakfast, a large green salad with a variety of vegetables and a lean protein for lunch, and another type of protein and vegetables for dinner. I used about a tablespoon of olive oil or butter every day when cooking, I grilled or steamed or roasted my veg with low-calorie additions like balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, and herbs, and I paid attention to my protein intake. "Treats" were always around a hundred calories - a piece of fruit, a couple of squares of chocolate, a serving of frozen yogurt, one or two small homemade cookies, etc.

When you break it down, it's possible, but you have to look at what gives you the most caloric bang for your buck. If I ate two pieces of toast (say 250 calories) with a bit of jam (50 calories), I was hungry by 10 AM but if I had 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (100 calories) and 2 scrambled eggs with a bit of chopped tomato, bell pepper, and green onion (200 calories), I was good until lunch. At lunch, it was better to have a big salad with some lemon juice, a drizzle of oil, and a piece of chicken or some chickpeas or tofu (and you can have quite a lot of salad vegetables for 150 calories and a decent hunk of chicken or a couple of fish filets for 150 calories) than to have half a sandwich with cheese and mayo and deli meat.

I aimed to have a 300 calorie breakfast, 300 calorie lunch, and 400 calorie dinner, which left room for a couple of bites of my husband's mac & cheese and some caramel pecan crunch frozen yogurt after dinner.

You just have to decide what your priorities are. I wanted to have as much food as possible so I mostly skipped bread, pasta, potatoes, etc., as well as most sugary snacks and drank only 0 calorie beverages (lots of water and black coffee and the occasional Coke Zero or other artificially sweetened beverage.) That allowed me to eat big, filling meals (you can have a massive pile of roasted broccoli for 200 calories, for example), maintain good energy (thanks to lots of broiled fish, grilled sirloin steak, and legumes), and drop weight easily.

I like the occasional dessert, so every couple weeks I had a real piece of cake or a pastry or a chocolate bar or whatever, but I either made the rest of my meals a little smaller that day or I just had cookies for dinner. It's not a good thing to do all the time but it's not going to hurt if you OCCASIONALLY (not daily or even probably weekly) have gelato instead of lunch.
  • MireyGal76
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think my point would be that 1200 cals may be doable, but if she's tiny and her maintenance cals are low to start with, if she sets her goal to 2lb a week - MFP will say 1200. If she sets it to 1lb a week - MFP may STILL say 1200.

So... eating at 1200 cals a day may not actually give her the results she is expecting. She needs to know where that 1200 cap is. :smile:

That said, being 6'1" and not understanding this dilemma fully, I am not sure how someone with a low maintenance cal starting point loses weight quickly whilst maintaining a 1200 calorie base. (it's not a matter of exercising more and not eating the cals back, since the net cals would still go below 1200)

Possibly the only feasible long term solution is to do activities to drive up the base maintenance cals... which is essentially done by increasing muscle mass (aka strength and resistance training)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm cool on 1300 per day. I'm short, relatively lean, and lightly active. The extra 100 calories makes a difference. But I do have a high day on the weekend which gives me an average of 1500 daily. You can look at my diary though. Lots of cucumbers, peppers, shirataki noodle, lean meat, fish.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I think my point would be that 1200 cals may be doable, but if she's tiny and her maintenance cals are low to start with, if she sets her goal to 2lb a week - MFP will say 1200. If she sets it to 1lb a week - MFP may STILL say 1200.

So... eating at 1200 cals a day may not actually give her the results she is expecting. She needs to know where that 1200 cap is. :smile:

That said, being 6'1" and not understanding this dilemma fully, I am not sure how someone with a low maintenance cal starting point loses weight quickly whilst maintaining a 1200 calorie base. (it's not a matter of exercising more and not eating the cals back, since the net cals would still go below 1200)

Possibly the only feasible long term solution is to do activities to drive up the base maintenance cals... which is essentially done by increasing muscle mass (aka strength and resistance training)

If your maintenance is low, then you don't lose weight quickly even on 1200 calories, you lose half a pound or a pound per week max. The closer your TDEE is to your BMR the less of a deficit you can create (and you're right, at 6'1" you don't really know what that's like, fortunately.) That said, if your BMR is only 1000 or 1100 calories a day and your TDEE is 15-1600, eating 1200 isn't a big cut or "starvation" or whatever, it's a pretty moderate deficit.

Still, there's only so much you can cut, and those of us who are already smaller, less active, or older (or a mix of these) sometimes have to resign ourselves to a slower rate of loss because there's only so far you can safely cut back and still get adequate nutrition.

I know 1200/day seems aggressive when you're someone whose TDEE might be 2200, 2500, 3000, whatever with a BMR well over 1200, but for a lot of smaller, more sedentary women it's just reality and it's not an unrealistic target.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with dried cereal mixed in for breakfast. Snack of fruit. Lunch...Subway sandwich without meat, cheese....protein bar for snack, and lean fish/meat plus vegetables for dinner. I add in a bowl of homemade vegetable soup before dinner so I'm not absolutely starving.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm cool on 1300 per day. I'm short, relatively lean, and lightly active. The extra 100 calories makes a difference. But I do have a high day on the weekend which gives me an average of 1500 daily. You can look at my diary though. Lots of cucumbers, peppers, shirataki noodle, lean meat, fish.

That's what I do as well, that extra 1300 makes a huge difference for me. I pre-plan and pre-log all my food to ensure I'm hitting my macros. I feel more satisfied by protein and fat. Portion control is king with only 1200-1300 to play with. I eat a lot of large salads (large as in I serve them in a mixing bowl) because I prefer the volume of lots of low calorie foods.

ETA - I'm injured at the moment so I'm not burning as many calories, I've definitely felt the difference in not being able to eat some extra. I tried protein fluff for the first time yesterday and I'm into it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That's what I do as well, that extra 1300 makes a huge difference for me. I pre-plan and pre-log all my food to ensure I'm hitting my macros. I feel more satisfied by protein and fat. Portion control is king with only 1200-1300 to play with. I eat a lot of large salads (large as in I serve them in a mixing bowl) because I prefer the volume of lots of low calorie foods.

ETA - I'm injured at the moment so I'm not burning as many calories, I've definitely felt the difference in not being able to eat some extra. I tried protein fluff for the first time yesterday and I'm into it!

Ditto. That extra 100 calories and volume is key for me. So glad you liked the fluff! I might make some tonight too.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I can only do it if I'm exercising and then eating back exercise calories.