Struggle with food

Options
Hi,
I have never done this before so it's a bit odd for me. I'm 23 and disgusted in myself. I am yet again trying to lose weight. And there's a lot to go. Size 22, wanting to lose minimum 100lb. I really struggle with food, will power and saying no. I can have my head in gear and be amazing and see the weight come off, one little trip up sends me right off and months down the line I try to start again. Story of my life for the last 7 years. I'm looking to see if there is any support out there, anyone to talk to when you want to just binge. I'm going to start tracking from tomorrow and try to excersize (I hate excersize). Not sure where to start. But porridge for breakfast maybe a good start!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I finally lost my weight in my fifties so chin up, you're catching on early. I got a lot of expert support to lose my weight including a ten week group therapy group. We discussed things like "all or nothing thinking" (google cognitive distortion), and how we might stop ourselves mid-binge. I learned a lot about emotional eating and mine is not from sadness or happiness, but anger and tiredness. Simply put, when I'm tired, it's easy to fall off the wagon. I don't beat myself up if I fall off. I simply pick myself up and start again.

There are some stickies in MFP that give really good advice on how to get started.

I did not get serious about exercise until I lost my first thirty pounds. Then it got easier and easier.
  • aotombo
    aotombo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, speaking of binging I am feeling that craving as we speak. By golly it's hard to resist and sometimes I give in a little which is hugely discouraging but just know that a setback now doesn't define your future. Best advice I've gotten is to be your own cheerleader throughout this experience. Yes, it helps to have others rally around you and tell you that you can do it, but believing in yourself first and foremost will keep you trucking during the dark and craving times. For one, I believe that you can do it, I really do. I've seen amazing transformations of people and it's just... remarkable and more importantly, very possible. Good luck with everything and don't stop believing. ;)
  • mynut25
    mynut25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! Hoping to get back in track myself
  • vivawellness669
    vivawellness669 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having the desire to change is the first step. Two years ago I caught sight of myself in a photo someone took of me and one of my kids. Usually I avoided being photographed, but consented that one time. I couldn't believe how big I looked. My husband had moved out the year before and I had fallen apart.

I too was disgusted with myself, but realized being negative towards myself wouldn't be productive. I took a long hard look at all of me. Hitting rock bottom after my husband left, the depression, the Telly screamy mom I became, the progress I had made rebuilding my life and confidence while divorcing, my beautiful kids, my talents and yes, my rolls of fat. Stepping back to see the whole picture instead of focusing on the weight and negatives helped me find a more healthy perspective. I decided to become the mom I wanted my kids to remember rather than remaining at the bottom of a deep dark hole.

I decided to not berate or belittle myself. I went out and purchases clothes that fit me well (found a great consignment shop with lots of stylish options I could actually afford) and got my hair done. In the past I would do that only when I lost weight because then I "deserved" it. I changed that stinkin' thinking the last time around. I started taking care of myself as if I already deserved to look good and I started feeling good about myself.

I chose a weight loss program that was clinically proven to lose fat yet retain my lean muscle so my metabolism wouldn't plateau. I did moderate exercise and took up swing dancing. As I lost weight, my energy increased and I naturally wanted to be more active. I lost 46 lbs in 4 months and have maintained that loss for two years. I still swing dance too.

I'm ready to drop my final 30 lbs.

Treat yourself kindly. Look for and celebrate your achievements - ALL of them. Don't stress over the days you seem to take two steps backward... It happens. Just move forward the next day. All the little steps add up; you'll get there!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am guessing Sarah wasn't sure where to post her query.
  • sarahwilding1992
    sarahwilding1992 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your stories and support. It's always nice to know you aren't alone. As for the threads, I wasn't sure which category it fell under, so I posted in all. Im sorry to have offended...... Feeling positive this morning
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of support here so I definitely reccommend using MFP as a tool to staying on track! Weight loss is HARD, I don't care what anyone says - especially if like me, you LOVE food probably a little more than you should. You can do this - stay positive and believe in yourself and you'll go VERY far.
  • sarahwilding1992
    Options
    Thank you @PinkPixiexox
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm 27 and was a size 22/252lbs at the beginning of the year. I'm now 197lbs and size 16, and still going. I felt like you, struggle to say no, but it got to the point I was miserable and thought enough is enough.

It's not easy and I do slip up sometimes but MFP has been such a huge help for me, and adding friends really helps too.

Good luck, from a fellow Sarah :)
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    weight loss is one heck of a journey, but so worth it! goodluck :)
  • sarahwilding1992
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and well wishes. It's much appreciated. Done well so far today. Only dinner left. Hoping to make some sweet potato wedges and fish!
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hjones2889 wrote: »
    weight loss is one heck of a journey, but so worth it! goodluck :)

Good point and even more to the point, not only is it a journey, it's a process and it is a marathon. I have really worked hard to adjust my mental vision and outlook on eating and fitness and health. It's not a sprint. We have to divide our lives up into 24 x hour periods because that's the way the sun flows, but if you can't get over that, it's a long cycle and process. Think in weeks, months, years..........and your lifetime. I have surprised myself in the last 9 x months or so with dropping 40lbs and as I look back I believe it was only due to a couple of small changes. No beer and avoiding processed grains. For the most part. I did some other physical training I haven't done before which probably contributed, but for the most part, no beer and not eating crap really did it for me. I think that's where they get the "it's 70% diet" or "80%" or whoever you're quoting at the time............anyway, good luck and like others have said, lots of support here, and be patient yet motivated!