Just diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic NEED motivation

Options
hey pals, I'm 126lbs trying to reach 114 lbs per my physician's request. I'm 5'3 and half. I am not overweight however due to my ethic group and family history (95% type two diabetics, no one is overweight), I was told that I have to lose more than 13lbs to delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
I have seen the life style of my diabetic family and I feel heartbroken every time my father has to stick the stainless steal needle for insulin shot. I am somewhat positive that I can achieve my goal. But I would love to have your support! Add me if you have similar weight loss goal :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Regardless of weight goals, up your physical activity as much as you can. Good luck :)
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goals are actually very similar to yours, now, although for different reasons. In my family history there's type 2 diabetes and my aunts used to remind me every time I piled my coffee cup high with sugar. Despite all that I've never had such a scare, but I'm 124.5 lbs now and trying to reach 110-115 lbs. I'm 5' tall. So, I'll send you a FR.
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i was also prediabetic prior to starting this process along with high bp. within 2-3 weeks my bs was within range & another week & bp was within range. start exercising & drinking water!!! lots of it, helps to flush sugars.see a dietian if possible. Alot of foods turn to sugar(potatoes,peas,corn,breads)that some people dont realize.you can do this;) add if u wish
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a nutritionist? Lowering your carbohydrates may do more for you than weight loss. Make sure when you eat carbohydrates you are also eating fats and proteins to slow digestion and keep blood sugar from spiking.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    this may sound a bit harsh, and i don't really mean it to be, but shouldn't finding out you are pre-diabetic and having the opportunity to reverse your course and save yourself from a lifetime of medications and issues be motivation enough?

i was pre-diabetic once upon a time. and i had high cholesterol. I wanted to be around for a little bit for my family. so i have changed my ways.
  • lannemack
    lannemack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Exercise. Regardless of weight goals, up your physical activity as much as you can. Good luck :)

That and drinking a ton of water helps the most for me.
  • eihcir1
    eihcir1 Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing as Wolverine66 when i first read the title of the post and saw the word in caps "NEED".
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    id agree with what Wolverine said. Ive seen several posts on here by people who were diagnosed as full diabetic having ignored the pre diabetic warnings. Have a look at some of the complocations you cna get from diabetes, they scared me.http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Complications.aspx