Hip pain after running a couple of miles..

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
A few weeks ago, after a couple of weeks of pushing speed, intensity, and mileage running, I started to get a twinge/pain in the front of my left hip joint. Hills in particular seem to cause it to start hurting and it will hurt for an hour or two just walking afterwards. Stretches like this (http://espn.go.com/photo/2011/0531/espnw_ts_stretching_576.jpg) or butterfly stretches seem to hit it and ease it a little bit. Once, I even felt something pop and then the pain went away. I think it may be tendonitis since I am susceptible to that in both my wrists and shoulders. I have very loose joints.

I gave myself a 5 day break off running, then did the Spartan Sprint (the reason I was pushing), then gave myself another week off. I ran, it hurt, gave it another week, I ran and it still hurt. The same twinge a couple miles in which reduces me to walking. I haven't tried doing a completely flat run.

Martial arts, walking, and the stair master do NOT make the pain flare up. Rolling/massaging doesn't seem to touch it.

How long should I wait before I run again? What else can I do?

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. I also am bothered with hip pain. Here is a web site I found that I use to stretch those muscles we use when we sprint. http://www.muscle-pull.com/muscle-pull-injury-finder.php hope you feel better soon. Do not rush your body to heal. Give it time so you can reach that goal.
    Patsy
  • juliamilan
    juliamilan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, and have had it come and go for the past 10 years. Tried chiropractors, physical therapists, at-home remedy. Usually I'd just quit running for a couple months and then start again, just to have it come back. Then, a masseuse friend of mine did a bunch of body work to try and figure out what was going on, the conclusion being that the muscles in my lower-mid back were spasming and pulling all the muscles in my hips back, causing spasm and tension in what feels like the front of the hip. I've been able to almost totally eradicate it with massage for when it's really bad and regular stretching/yoga and rolling a tennis ball on my mid back on a daily basis. Also, eating tumeric to decrease inflammation. You might not have the same problem, but worth a try. When I can't run, my brain feels craaaaazy and its kinda been saving my life knowing what causes it. Good luck!
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Interesting. I will try some of these suggestions.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, after a couple of weeks of pushing speed, intensity, and mileage running, I started to get a twinge/pain in the front of my left hip joint. Hills in particular seem to cause it to start hurting and it will hurt for an hour or two just walking afterwards. Stretches like this (http://espn.go.com/photo/2011/0531/espnw_ts_stretching_576.jpg) or butterfly stretches seem to hit it and ease it a little bit. Once, I even felt something pop and then the pain went away. I think it may be tendonitis since I am susceptible to that in both my wrists and shoulders. I have very loose joints.

I gave myself a 5 day break off running, then did the Spartan Sprint (the reason I was pushing), then gave myself another week off. I ran, it hurt, gave it another week, I ran and it still hurt. The same twinge a couple miles in which reduces me to walking. I haven't tried doing a completely flat run.

Martial arts, walking, and the stair master do NOT make the pain flare up. Rolling/massaging doesn't seem to touch it.

Choose one thing to improve at a time. Don't increase mileage and speed together. Also make sure you're doing some cross-training for the legs to keep the muscles balanced and do your hip flexor stretches.

http://breakingmuscle.com/video/release-your-hip-flexors-groin-stretch-101

ETA: Stay off the hills since you know this is making it worse. Try easing back on the mileage and speed until it gets better. You don't necessarily have to stop running unless it hurts while you run.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Choose one thing to improve at a time. Don't increase mileage and speed together. Also make sure you're doing some cross-training for the legs to keep the muscles balanced and do your hip flexor stretches.

ETA: Stay off the hills since you know this is making it worse. Try easing back on the mileage and speed until it gets better. You don't necessarily have to stop running unless it hurts while you run.

Ok, I'll try this stretch as well as a super light run without hills and just see how it goes. I need to work them since I'm training for another Spartan, but I have time to lay off for a while. Thanks!

I'll also try rolling my back as well as my hip
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue awhile back, and it ended up that I just needed new shoes. Fixed it instantly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ok, I'll try this stretch as well as a super light run without hills and just see how it goes. I need to work them since I'm training for another Spartan, but I have time to lay off for a while. Thanks!

Might help if you think of it as 'if I don't lay off now, there's no point in training for the Spartan because I probably won't be able to participate'. Take the time to heal. Better to go into the Spartan under-trained than injured, I think.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I was having this issue awhile back, and it ended up that I just needed new shoes. Fixed it instantly.

Interesting. I got these at FitRight, but it's been a couple years now. They video your gait etc and they made at least slightly special shoes for me. At the time, I had awful shin splints, and couldn't run more than half a mile. I'm not sure they have more than the recommended 4-500 miles, but I'm probably close and my gait may have changed.

Time for another visit. Thanks!
  • lilawolf
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Might help if you think of it as 'if I don't lay off now, there's no point in training for the Spartan because I probably won't be able to participate'. Take the time to heal. Better to go into the Spartan under-trained than injured, I think.

Truth.