Dairy!

sehncw99
sehncw99 Posts: 73
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
So I have a question, is too much dairy a bad thing? Because I eat alot of dairy products from lite and fit yogurt fat free cheese weight watchers string cheese fat free cottage cheese and skinny cow ice cream every day!

Replies

• Chefsammy
    Chefsammy Posts: 4
    Its different for everyone, but dairy has a lot of fat in it so just be careful you are not over doing it.
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Dairy typically has a lot of fat and sugar. As long as you pay attention to the numbers, you should be fine!
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    My understanding is that if you just eat a little bit it may cause you to gain weight but if you get 3-4 servings a day that is good for you and can help you lose weight. i love dairy won't ever give it up!
  • ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    I'm not getting enough dairy!!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I agree dairy affects everyone differently. I try to stay around 3 servings per day. If your body is handling it well, I don't think its a problem. Dairy tends to either make people "not go" or "not stop going"...if you know what I mean, so again if you are regular I think you're ok.
    Good luck!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    dairy is great source of quality protein and heart healthy fatty acids google this and see. I am no longer doing fat free or skim any more. 3 servings a day is the recommended amount. look this up don't just believe anything you hear or read. become educated so you can make healthy informed decisions :smile:
  • sehncw99
    sehncw99 Posts: 73
    Thanks everyone!
  • There is no one food that will make you gain weight or lose weight in it of itself. Ingesting food=intaking calories.

Weight loss is determined by fat/protein/carb intake and comes down to energy balances, or the difference between calories in vs. calories out. As long as you remain in a deficit, you will lose weight, no matter where you get the calories from.

Now micronutrients like vitamins and minerals should be considered too, so getting a wide range of whole foods can be beneficial.

Dairy doesn't need to be avoided in any amount, as long as it fits your caloric budget. It DOES NOT slow weight loss.

The above statement is not intended for someone with diabetes or other MDs. Lactose intolerance would be another thing to consider.
This discussion has been closed.