Does this really work?

Options
i downloaded this app today. I've had it recommended by a few people. I'm quite heavy for my size and really want to turn it all around. I am beyond desperate at this point and very determined. I just need something that will actually work. So does this plan really work?

Replies

• BarretScarbrough
    BarretScarbrough Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost 58 lbs using this app with no exercise 3 years ago, but then quit using it because I though that I had the hang of it with out needing the app, then over 3 years gained it back, but now going to lose it again. Give it a shot, I went from 285 to 270 my very first month of using it. It's simple physics, you must eat a lot to maintain your current weight, if you reduce input, you body didn't have enough food to stay that size. Conservation of energy type of thing.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    rmsart31 wrote: »
    i downloaded this app today. I've had it recommended by a few people. I'm quite heavy for my size and really want to turn it all around. I am beyond desperate at this point and very determined. I just need something that will actually work. So does this plan really work?

Yep. Lots of people use MyFitnessPal to reach their goals. Just look in the Success Stories part of the boards.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    66lbs and counting!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just over 30 lbs here. It's a great app to track your calories and help you stay in a calorie deficit, which is what is needed to lose weight.
  • Kathr789
    Kathr789 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This app was recommended to me by my doctor. The science is the same on any "plan". You need to burn more calories than you eat. I have been counting calories using this app since February. I eat 500 fewer calories than my body burns per day. My Fitness Pal actually set my daily calorie goal lower than my doctor. It is customizable, however. There are other apps out there but it is all the same approach.
    I have lost 45lbs since starting and I feel great. I make sure that I walk everyday and I have added a Fitbit to motivate me. The Fitbit syncs with the app to help me keep track. However, I don't very often eat any calories that I have earned through exercise.
    To be successful you have to make sure you are eating good food that makes you full. Lean proteins and vegetables will carry you a long way. Don't starve yourself! That really won't work. :)
    I wish you luck.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So far it's been a useful tool. It's helped me understand how many calories I consume in a day and spurred me on to do better at minding my food portions and choosing foods that fit my weight loss needs better.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Options
    No.
    It's a scam.
    It's a cult.
    Run! Save yourself! Before the measuring cups and fitbits and fiber get ya!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    177# down since I started using MFP. It was a huge help!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I thought I was healthy until I started using this (almost 3 weeks ago). If anything it has opened my eyes to the fact I was eating too much. I'm still learning but I lost 4 lbs in 18 days.
    Its a great tool to bring awareness to what goes into your body. I was nowhere near as healthy as I thought I was!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,831 Member
    Options
    rmsart31 wrote: »
    So does this plan really work?

It's not really a plan; it's a tool. It helps you track your calories in and calories out (CICO) so you can maintain a calorie deficit & lose weight.

You'll still need some kind of plan: You can just eat what you usually eat, only less of it - that's probably the simplest "plan". Or, you can read the forums or web sites and learn about other plans - low fat, low carb, Weight Watchers, paleo, extreme exercise, etc., etc.

But you only lose weight if you spend more calories than you eat, so MFP is still a useful too with most other plans.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    No.
    It's a scam.
    It's a cult.
    Run! Save yourself! Before the measuring cups and fitbits and fiber get ya!

LMAO

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's not magic.
    By itself, it will do nothing to or for you.

But it is a helpful tool to make you aware of:
    how many calories you're taking in
    how many calories you should be taking in
    how many calories you're burning

Since JAN2014:
    51637601.png
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Me & MFP: 1, Coworkers & Herbalife & MLM & Waist Trainers: 0
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Some other posts you might find helpful, with lots of links.

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Exercise basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

Sleep enough
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

Motivation & encouragement (explained in blog post)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938

- Set small intermediate goals & celebrate every one.
    - Take measurements.
    - Take pictures.
    - Weigh yourself regularly.
    - Be flexible; forgive yourself.
    - Celebrate the non-scale victories (NSV's)
    - Don't give up!!!!
    - Don't make any food forbidden.
    - Eat real food; less processed is better.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Everyone above has already made good points, both about its ability as a tool and offering the information you need to make it work. Used incorrectly, it won't work -- but if I use a hammer incorrectly that won't work either. The fault isn't in the hammer's design.

I always recommend that people use the app for a while without cutting. Just take a week or three to learn how to log calories, learn how to measure portions, and look at how you're already eating. Once you see clearly how many calories you're consuming and in what patterns, you can then make the smaller changes that add up over time.

For instance, I started out logging and then looked at the easiest places to cut out unnecessary calories. I used way too much oil while cooking. I tended to add A LOT of cheese to everything. (I love cheese.) I could eat a days worth of calories while snacking in front of the TV.

It's not a fast process, but taking time to be aware of my old habits and really thinking about why I engaged in them is probably the best thing I've gotten from the years I've been on MFP. I still slip up and have days where I consume a day's amount of calories while snacking, but they're few and far between, and don't have any significant impact on my weight because I'm otherwise able to exercise control and awareness over my food.