Supplements!! What are your go-to's?

Options
I thought it would be a good idea to start a threat on supplements - from the basics to the seriously complicated! There are SO many supplements out there (some useful, some BRILLIANT, some awful...) and so many people don't know what they're for or why you should/if you need to take them, if any!

I personally take a lot of supplements - but I am a very very active person and also underweight so I manage things well with some supplementation. Also, I work at a health food store part time and have done some training in supplements and their uses. I am also a scientist and understand the facts behind many of these supplements. However - this does NOT mean I know everything at all. There is SO much to learn out there. I thought that this threat might be helpful to not just myself, but everybody else on here who might look at the huge array of supplements and be like "what...". Seriously. "1,3-beta glucans???" yes, you can buy these!!

So - why not share your personal favourite supplements? And why do you take them, and do you think they actually help you?

Personally, I take a multivitamin, omega-3s and glucosamine/chondrotin with MSM, EVERY day. I also always have on hand my probiotics, magnesium powder (works great for the DOMS) L-glutamine, iron and B-complex (blood tests revealed I am low in these! - but only take these every few days - I dont want to overload).

I've also tried other things in the past and still have them around such as Rhodiola Root and L-theanine complex (I suffer with anxiety) and L-carnitine. PLEASE keep in mind that I work in a health food store and get MANY free samples so this is not me just going overboard etc - I get a lot of these for free!!

Also protein powders (whey, casein and vegan) and preworkout (I love Cellucor C4) and BCAAs (Amino-X). Again - many free samples. Also work next door to a bodybuilding store who are very kind and give me free samples of stuff!

What are YOUR go to supplements?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm also a scientist.

I take whey protein because I'm lazy and don't want to cook a chicken breast at 9pm after my workout...

I'm considering creatine once I get done losing weight and can really focus on strength.

I like to keep it simple.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm also a scientist.

I take whey protein because I'm lazy and don't want to cook a chicken breast at 9pm after my workout...

I'm considering creatine once I get done losing weight and can really focus on strength.

I like to keep it simple.

You should supplement creatine anyways while losing in a deficit in an effort to maintain as much strength as possible.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I must admit that the words "health food store" and "supplements" in the same phrase sound like a paradox.
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I must admit that the words "health food store" and "supplements" in the same phrase sound like a paradox.

Yeah i just dont want to state the name of the store i work in. We sell both food and supplements! As always, nutrition SHOULD come from the diet first and foremost, but if in need - supplementing is useful.

Nice catch, tho :P
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My current supplement stack consists of:

ON Whey Protein - which i add to my oats for pre-workout, then just a post-workout shake
    Cellucor C4 - for my heavy leg days only
    Amino Energy - during workouts
    Dymatize BCAA 2200 - in hopes of retaining muscle mass during my deficit
    Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM - because I lift really heavy and want to protect my cartilage
    Fish Oil - because I like to make sure I get enough Omega 3 & 6
    Greens - even though I eat 3-4lbs of veggies a day, this ensures that I get sufficient micronutrients
    L-Carnitine - I got it for free, don't really feel a difference from it, I think its for energy support?

That's about it - I was also looking into a Creatine supp but I honestly don't want to add more pills :D
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

ON Whey Protein - which i add to my oats for pre-workout, then just a post-workout shake
    Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM - because I lift really heavy and want to protect my cartilage
    Greens - even though I eat 3-4lbs of veggies a day, this ensures that I get sufficient micronutrients
    L-Carnitine - I got it for free, don't really feel a difference from it, I think its for energy support?

That's about it - I was also looking into a Creatine supp but I honestly don't want to add more pills :D

Is it that bad? lol.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin (Kind Organic by Garden of Life) but only half of a tablet. I'm taking 6 different types of protein depending on my mood and day (BPI WheyHD which blows, protein energy ON, syntrax nectar cappuccino, javapro mocha, combat by mp, and mammoth whey). I also add powder Msm to my protein once a day (2g) and often eat protein bars like EPIC, quest, oh yeah victory, and seitenbacher.

I'll drink bcaas or pre workouts once in a while.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Is it that bad? lol.

Well I have 3 leg days a week - I like that extra boost I get from C4, so I use it on my favorite days :)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I'm a pretty heavy supplement user.

Morning
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil
    Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM

Pre-workout
    One scoop whey
    Homemade stack consisting of creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate, taurine, caffeine, acetyl L-carnitine

Intra-workout
    BCAAs

Post-workout
    Whey/casein blend
    Homemade stack consisting of creatine, beta alanine, L-glutamine
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Wow, I like I don't take many now I've read everyone's posts! Magnesium, vitamin D (I'm deficient and scared of sun burn), whey protein and zinc if I feel run down. I used to take vitamin B but I'm no longer deficient - yay for meat! I've just bought some greens to have on the rare day I don't make myself a green smoothie. I occasionally have a small bit of caffeine (via GU chomps) pre-workout if I'm really tired and hungry. My sleep is easily impacted so I try not to have caffeine late in the day.

I'm open to advice on anything else I could add. I work out 5-6 days a week, mostly functional training, cross fit, weights and some yoga. I'm still losing, so I'm in a calorie deficit. I eat a lot of protein in an attempt to retain the lean muscle mass I have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I tested deficient for iron and D, so I take them. I've observed how magnesium helps with chocolate cravings and my hair falls out if I don't get enough iodine, so take those. I was sick for a long time 15 years ago and vitamin C helped with that, so I continue to take it to bowel tolerance. I take many components of a standard multi individually cuz that turned out to be cheaper in order to get them in the quantities I want. I periodically rotate some things out to see if there are any changes.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Some things I must address regarding the comments in this thread so far, which are either completely arbitrary or misrepresentative of supplements...

1. Timing protein shakes (whether pre or post workout) is useless. Your muscles will not go catabolic immediately after a workout if you don't provide a quick shot of protein. What matters is consistency and total daily intake from all foods. The wisest decision would be to stick to a diet consisting primarily of whole foods (not processed foods).

2. Creatine does not help a person "maintain" strength. Creatine is a system saturater, which means that it needs to build up in your system over time to notice the benefits. Taking creatine pre-workout, post-workout, or any other special time is inconsequential. It is not like caffeine where it must be taken preworkout to notice benefits. Dose at 3-5 grams per day anytime of day (or on the days that you workout, assuming this is a minimum of 3-4 days per week). If you're interested in Creatine, get unflavored Creapure® Creatine in micronized creatine monohydrate form.

3. No supplement is needed unless your daily food intake is awful or your blood tests show a deficit in a particular area and you are unwilling to correct the issue through diet, exercise/training, sunlight (in the case of Vitamin D), or medication. Some supplements, like a properly dosed fish oil, are wonderful to take every day for a variety of reasons. However, people think that supplements in general are a sort of miracle cure that will automatically add 10 lbs. of muscle, make you more radiant, and help you live longer. This is simply not true. Learn the truth in order to demystify the topic. Far too many people collect supplements like coins or baseball cards. They either collect dust and expire, or the person continues to buy them expecting an impossible outcome that just won't happen.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, multivitamin, magnesium, vitamin D. Whey and carbs for recovery and "breakfast" when I hit the gym early.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Fish oil, multivitamin, magnesium, vitamin D3.

^This is a good, simple list. A preworkout or coffee wouldn't be a bad decision when needed as well.

One thing about magnesium is that it's awful in oxide form. Chelated magnesium or magnesium orotate is awesome.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There are so many supplements its overwhelming. I was in a health store at lunch and left with green tea and coconut water! No supplements.

I tend to just take coconut water on heavy workout days and vit D in the winter.
    However in the last few days I've upped the training and am alternating advanced spinning, circuit training, walking and running. In about 2 weeks I plan to start introducing weight training.
    My restless legs are back (only 2 days) so I do think I may need a supplement for the DOMS and the restless legs. From what I've read here magnesium is probably the thing.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. Multivitamin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin w MSM, Whey protein since I can't seem to eat enough to reach my daily goal.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My daily supplements are:

Women's Prenatal
    Calcium Citrate
    Cranberry
    Fish Oil
    B Complex
    Glucosamine/Condroitin
    Biotin
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Omega 3's
    Vitamin D when I haven't been in the sun in awhile
    and bioten, folic acid only because a friend of mine told me these 2 will help with hair growth. I don't know how true that is but it's only a $5 supplement so I'm willing to try it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Phew! What do you end up spending a month? Which B vitamin are you low? I take vitamin D because I'm low