What's the best time to work out?

Options
I am a busy mom of two (7 and1) and I am finding it hard to find time to work out ugh. But I am on a mission and I am going to find the time no matter what. So would you get up extra early in the morning or push through late at night before bed? Are there benifits to working out early or later in the day?

Replies

• shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not really. It just matters that you do work out. So whatever works with your schedule.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for your schedule. You can always find a gym that has daycare too. My gym has daycare, which I use on the weekends, but during the weekdays I get up early and go to the gym before work. Timing doesn't matter so much, just do whatever will work to get you working out :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Whenever works for you. Make the commitment to yourself and follow through. For me, that's morning time.
  • kicknoley
    kicknoley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say in the past that the best time is the same time each day. Routine is key with workouts. For me I like the morning before anyone else is up to bother me, also it means I'm not trying to "fit it in" in the evening, it's all done and I can start my day. Also it gives me a nice appetite before breakfast. I've found by doing workouts just before bed that my brain doesn't always switch off properly and I have trouble sleeping.
    However, you might find benefits to doing your workouts after the kids are in bed and everything is done for the day, perhaps try a week of each and see what suits you better.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For sustainability, whatever works for you.

I've read some studies supporting that cardio fasted (first thing in the morning) is beneficial for weight loss because of depleted glycogen levels causing the body to use body fat for energy. Better yet, HIIT fasted - burn a lot and have that "after burn" effect.

I always thought that I was not a morning person, but after a week or two working out first thing in the morning - really liked it because it energizes me for the entire day, I get to eat a huge breakfast, and I dont have to worry about being sidetracked away from the gym by day events.

Weightlifting, though, is another matter - I only read of a few people who said their lifting is the same fasted as fed. I cant lift weights fasted, I mean I can, just not effective - my reps and weight noticeably lower.

I could not workout past 7 PM because I have trouble falling asleep if I do.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have the best workouts (read focused and in it) when my start time stays consistent and I've had the right kind of food. So I usually work out right after work in the evening before dinner. I still have energy from a good lunch, it's not too late to where I'll stay wound up and wide awake later, I'm not starving and only thinking about food at the time. All of that gives me the best outcome. It's different for everyone. Some don't have the focus for a 6p workout but can grind out 6am or noon like a champ.
  • hungrykell
    hungrykell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always thought anytime was fine and spent months and months working out in the morning and it turns out that my cortisol was very high in the morning. I'm unable to burn fat in the morning. I've switched to a late morning/early afternoon workout schedule. All of this to say, if you do it in the morning and don't see results, change the time before you get frustrated. It's a very common issue! It's hard with you kids but you'll make it work!
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im a mom of 2 boys (13 y/o and 3 y/o). Ive found that for me getting up early and working out while they are still sleeping is the best. It gives me time to wake up and have some uninterrupted me time. We have a home gym downstairs so i can workout and not wake them up. But what it comes down to is your schedule if you can do it get up early if not maybe at the end of the day whereever you can fit it in but you can do it!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm a mum of 2 as well (1 & 2) and agree, anytime you can is the best. Also what feels best/when you feel best. If you're not a morning person, your workout may be less effective and vice versa. Back pre-kids, I tried mornings before work for a while, just to free up my evenings, and started blacking out on the train on the way to work (as in, going blind but still being conscious. After a few tests it was determined to just be migraine auras) so I switched back to evenings and stopped having that problem. Nowadays it's 2 late-mornings when the girls can go to the gym crèche, and weekends/evenings when their father is around to take over.

Though, the one thing I would say is don't work out too late, as it really will interfere with falling asleep and/or the quality of sleep.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When you can fit it in your schedule.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It depends on your schedule and when you have the most energy. Everyone's different.
  • pandapotlovebug
    pandapotlovebug Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Early. I fought with this for a while. I COULD NOT make my self wake up at five instead of 6. But I downloaded alarmy. It makes me get out of bed. 5 am I need to take a picture of of the bathroom sink. 5:08 I need to take a picture of the treadmill to turn off the alarm. When I save my workout for the evening I have risk of not doing it at all. And it's harder to fall asleep.
    Do what works for you. And try to be consistent so it becomes a habit.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, what ever suits you best.

- I run in the morning because I always walk the dogs first thing and it makes perfect sense to run while I am out on a dog walk.
    - I jump rope in the kitchen whenever I am waiting on something, like the dinner to cook, or the washing machine to finish etc... I am in the kitchen at these times waiting around anyway. So why not use that time to exercise?
    - I also do push ups on the stairs randomly. There is never a set time really, just every other day when I am about to walk up them. So it isn't like I had to find the time to do them.
    - I also do a lot of walking, dogs and errands, I have no car and hate public transport... I just up it by trying to walk a mile in 14 mins or less to get my heart going, rather than walking at a leisurely pace.
    - I have just started lifting weights. Not sure how to fit them in yet, but I brought small dumbbells and right now I simply lift them whilst I am sat at my desk working. I will eventually figure out a better way to work them in around everything I do. And then hopefully progress from small dumbbells to something more beneficial.

I haven't found time at all, I just multi task lol
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another mum of 2. I get up early on my work days (5:30 ish!) to fit workouts in on those days, and then fit runs in when I can. I try to have a "schedule" so my husband and I know when we want to go to the gym/ go for a run.

We found that without booking times with each other for when we would go then it was harder to find the time if you see what I mean! My husband goes in the evening as its easier for him.

As others have said, it will depend on when you can fit them in. I like getting up in the mornings on my work days as its me time, and gets the workouts complete in time that I wouldnt otherwise have.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When my kids were young, I used to pick them up, take them with me to pick my wife up from her work, and then get out of the car at her work. I'd run home from her work, while she drove with the kids, and arrive home a few minutes after they did but in time to help with dinner.
    When you have two little ones, you just do what you can, when you can.
    Good luck!
  • DrFever100
    DrFever100 Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    Before I went on my weight gain bender I always found it most convenient to exercise as soon as I got out of bed. It's too easy to make excuses (not saying you do, but I did) in the evening after a long tiring day. I also found my energy levels increased for longer periods of the day.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I would assume your 7 year old is in school, so maybe when the little one is napping? As long as you get it in there, it's all good! I can't get up any earlier week days (up at 6:30 for work) so I work out in the evenings, but on weekends I do mornings (first class is 9:30 a.m.).
  • mlturner08
    mlturner08 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Early. I fought with this for a while. I COULD NOT make my self wake up at five instead of 6. But I downloaded alarmy. It makes me get out of bed. 5 am I need to take a picture of of the bathroom sink. 5:08 I need to take a picture of the treadmill to turn off the alarm. When I save my workout for the evening I have risk of not doing it at all. And it's harder to fall asleep.
    Do what works for you. And try to be consistent so it becomes a habit.

Hahah this is awesome and I might need to download that app! I can't get up early ugh but I think that's going to be the best time to work out.
  • mlturner08
    mlturner08 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!