spotty from diet? please help!

Options
abzhaz91
abzhaz91 Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi I need help! I've started a low carb diet and through lots of internet scrolling found Its a good ideation take a multi vitamin, I'm currently taking a multi vitamin and a b vitamin complex, but I'm getting really spotty and my skin feels really oily too! I remember when I took a b vitamin for hair and nail growth the same thing happened so I'm guessing this could be the problem, should I just stop taking the b complex or stop the vitamins all together and try something different? If I should stop them all together does anyone know the best way of getting the vitamins and minerals I need ?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If low carb means also high fat, it could be also this. One of the reasons I never eat much fat is that it completely ruins my skin. I have no idea if it just me who is weird or it happens to others too.
  • abzhaz91
    Options
    I did think maybe the high fat content wasn't helping either but that's ment to be the main part of my diet so in a bit of a pickle as I don't want to reduce my calorie intake to the point it's unhealthy, Im not new to dieting but I'm new to trying to stick to one but the spots are really not helping my motivation lol
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What kind of spots?
  • abzhaz91
    Options
    White heads mainly, I swear the things are getting a life of there own and I can feel them underneath the skin too
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    Yeah, it's probably from the change in diet. I can't think of why the B vitamins would do that. I wouldn't stop the multivitamin, but you could stop taking the Bs. You aren't going to get any kind of deficiency for awhile. Your body is probably adjusting to the diet still and it may get better, who knows. Why low carb? What are your percentages of calories from each macro?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dumb question: Are you due for your curse soon? I tend to get really bad acne in the weeks leading up to Aunt Flo (when I never had this issue when I was overweight).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a trick about B vitamins. Your body can't store surplus so it just pees out the excess. Do you have neon bright pee after taking them? If so, you don't need them. Also the B vitamins come from meats and some fats so a low carb diet won't be deficient.

What if you switched to a regular CICO diet with moderate carbs and lower fats? See if that works?

Stay with the multivitamin for insurance. I suggest to all young women to take the pregnancy multivitamin as it also has Folic Acid. I saw a teen girl multivitamin that had the same formulation but that might be harder to find.
  • abzhaz91
    Options
    Ryanflebbe= low carb is the only diet that seems to work for me, I'm currently on 1200 calories, with 10% carbs 30% protein and 60% fat, you could be right about me still adjusting to it only started a week ago nd only just getting over my no carb flu, (crying for a pack of biscuits wasn't a good look)lol

Abatonfan= not dumb atall, I know exactly what you mean but no so cancelled that out
  • LKArgh
    Options
    abzhaz91 wrote: »
    Ryanflebbe= low carb is the only diet that seems to work for me, I'm currently on 1200 calories, with 10% carbs 30% protein and 60% fat, you could be right about me still adjusting to it only started a week ago nd only just getting over my no carb flu, (crying for a pack of biscuits wasn't a good look)lol

Abatonfan= not dumb atall, I know exactly what you mean but no so cancelled that out

May I ask in what sense this is the only diet that works for you? Have you tried this before?
  • abzhaz91
    Options
    I've done low carb efore and lost and went from 13st to 9st 7 and kept it of for four years but last six months or so the weights creeping up on me again back up to 10st 8, I've tried changing to wholemeal, cutting out stuff, fad diets, all sorts and never seem to be able to stick to them as I've always still been hungry so thought I'd go back on this one for a bit but this time round it skin isn't liking it at all
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I've done low carb efore and lost and went from 13st to 9st 7 and kept it of for four years but last six months or so the weights creeping up on me again back up to 10st 8, I've tried changing to wholemeal, cutting out stuff, fad diets, all sorts and never seem to be able to stick to them as I've always still been hungry so thought I'd go back on this one for a bit but this time round it skin isn't liking it at all

If you have been eating the same way for years in the past and never had this problem, most probably it is something else. Why did you stop in the past? Will you now stay on a low carb diet for life?
  • abzhaz91
    Options
    I didn't stay low carb all the time I just watched what I ate (probably a little too much) and I have overindulged on the sugary foods and fast foods lately and dieting low carb seems to help me break my bad habit of eating junk food and then once I get back down to my goal weight i just watch what I eat, it's not the way for everyone but it works for me if that makes sense, I only think it might of been the b vitamins causing my spots because I took them b vitamins for hair and nail growth from Holland and barratts a while back and they made me spotty or if it was just coincidence
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest to all young women to take the pregnancy multivitamin as it also has Folic Acid. I saw a teen girl multivitamin that had the same formulation but that might be harder to find.

Folic acid is a B vitamin.

Pregnancy vitamins also do not contain vitamin A due to the risk of too high a dose in pregnancy, so you're probably best when not pregnant to just use a normal multi vitamin and separate Folic acid tablets. The required dose of Folic acid in pregnancy also depends on your weight, so often standard pregnancy multivitamins don't have enough.

Folic acid is also added to a lot of foods here in the UK.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    What about other new products you might use on the face?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can have an allergic reaction to excess vitamin B. Try cutting that out. I get my vitamins mainly from what I eat (I do take D by doctor's orders). I have a spinach and kale smoothie with coconut/almond milk in the morning which really gives me a huge morning vitamin boost.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    high saturated fat foods destroy my face. always have. always. did I say always?

This is one of my triggers as well. Also, if I slip up and eat a ton of simple carbs like bread and crackers I get those deep, cystic pimples.

OP, did you start all these changes at once? If so, you might have to start eliminating things one at a time to see what it is. But I personally would cut back on the fat, stop the vitamins and start loading up with more produce to reach your caloric goal. When I eat like this I find my face the clearest.
  • juliusgiron
    juliusgiron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you have cardio exercises?
  • ryanflebbe
    Options
    Did you drop the b vitamin? From there you can lower fat a little and eat a little more protein if a low carb diet is what is comfortable for you to get the weight loss going. Eventually you will either get used to it or lose some weight and start eating more balanced and the spots will go away one way or the other. Just remember them and use it as motivation to stick to moderate calories and keep the weight off so you don't have to low carb diet.
    BTW, does your scale(or everyones scale there) say 9 stone 7 or whatever or is that just the way you are used to thinking about weight? I've always thought it seemed like a funny measurement, but then again, here in the US almost all our measurements are old and funny.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

It might be beneficial to not have such an aggressive deficit too for long term sustain. Most people, especially if they are active, need more than 1200 calories. And with only 20 lbs to lose, aiming for .5-1 lb per week is ideal.

Also, it might be beneficial to cut out the supplements for the time being and work on getting a variety of nutrients from fruits/veggies to see if that helps.