Help - I've fallen off the wagon and don't know how to get back up...

Options
Hi,
I successfully lost 30 lbs this year and was doing so well. then in July I had house guests for 6 weeks and it threw a wrench in my gym schedule and eating schedule and now I've gained back 7 lbs and I can't seem to get my motivation back. Everyday I start logging here and by the end of the day I'm completely off base.
Anyone else go through this? how did you recover?

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If your head isn't in it, your body won't follow. I would suggest making of list of all the reasons you started in the first place. Read some success stories. Maybe pre-log your days for a while and try to stick to it? Then once your calories are in check, start adding back in exercise? Just some thoughts. Good luck to you!!!
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you! every bit of advise and encouragement is appreciated......... It took alot even to admit I fell off....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    7 pounds is manageable to deal with. You've done it before so you know you can do it again!

Many people here like to peeling their food. By logging what you plan to eat at beginning of day or night before you might find it easier to stick with.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new chance to do it right, to take steps _toward_ your goal.
    All you can do is get up in the morning and do your best.
    If you mess up a bit, learn what went wrong, plan how to avoid doing it again, and go on.
    Being down on yourself will bring bad results; celebrate your successes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Do everything right for the rest of today and tomorrow, then decide whether you want to get on the wagon or get off.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think part of your problem is that you're defining what has happened as a failure and are feeling guilt over it. But how can you fail when it's a lifelong process and each day is only a very tiny piece of the whole? You can always pick up where you left off and continue making progress toward your goal. Time is going to pass, regardless. It's up to you to choose what to do with it. Until you are willing to do what you know it takes to lose the weight it's not going to happen. If wishing for a better body worked, there would not be an obesity epidemic. :smile: Sometimes it's just not the right time. If you aren't ready to commit to your weight loss then recognize that fact and go on with your life. No guilt.

You do need to realize, though, that motivation comes and goes. You can't rely on it to carry you through to your goal. Instead, what you need are determination and commitment. You aren't "motivated" to brush your teeth two or three times each day, right? You get up in the morning and you do it because you want a pretty smile and to keep your teeth into your old age and you know it has to be done. The same goes for taking showers. Why should doing the right things to take care of the rest of your body be any different?

Take it day by day. Recognize that even though you didn't completely stick with the plan for the day that you probably didn't do much damage. Learn from it and try again. Every day is another chance to get it right.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    Thank you! every bit of advise and encouragement is appreciated......... It took alot even to admit I fell off....

You're here. That's huge. I have been through what is happening to you and I just drop off of MFP completely and then gain some weight back over the course of the next 6-12 months. Fortunately I always catch it before I gain ALL of it back. Keep weighing yourself and logging. Even if you just maintain for the next little while until you can get your head back in the game you'll be way ahead.

Good luck / you can do it!
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It all starts in the head and I used to do what you're doing now, angel in the morning with my food and exercise but by dinnertime my demons take over and I start to binge. The only way I cld change this was with mindful eating and meditation, feel free to send me msg if you wld like to know more.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    7lbs is less than a 3rd of the weight you lost. Grab that rope and pull yourself back up on to the wagon. You can do this!!! It's worth it.

2-3 years ago, I lost 80lbs... enter stress, anxiety and depression, and I gained half the weight back. Here I am, back again to kick butt, and I've lost 26lbs.

You. Can. Do. This!!! :)
  • skattersIA
    skattersIA Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Everyone has great advice! I will add to set small, baby step goals. Think about your next meal and what you should eat. Not the whole day. Congratulate yourself for each goal met! You aren't failing, you are succeeding!

Another tactic, is to try to change one small thing for a few days, then add another goal. For instance, for the next few days, meet your water intake goals. After 3-7 days, add another goal... like eat a healthy breakfast. It won't be as fast, but it won't feel as overwhelming either.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been off the rails for a week after loosing 15lbs. I put a pair of shorts on that this morning that I haven't been able to fit into prior to weight loss. I could button then beginning of summer and I don't want to go back there so that's all I needed.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just do what worked for you before for 1 complete day. The first day is always the toughest. You just get into it after that and you'll forget that you fell off.
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have post it notes all over the house with motivational quotes. In my bathroom mirror "sweat like a pig to look like a fox" in my kitchen I have a magnetic calendar that I put stickers on each day that I have completed my exercise. I even found fox stickers. Lol. In my kitchen, "A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline". I run so another post it says "Run Rest Repeat". I love quotes and sometimes they are just what I need to motivate me.
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This.
    skattersIA wrote: »
    Everyone has great advice! I will add to set small, baby step goals. Think about your next meal and what you should eat. Not the whole day. Congratulate yourself for each goal met! You aren't failing, you are succeeding!

Another tactic, is to try to change one small thing for a few days, then add another goal. For instance, for the next few days, meet your water intake goals. After 3-7 days, add another goal... like eat a healthy breakfast. It won't be as fast, but it won't feel as overwhelming either.

• gerardokeefe
    gerardokeefe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above - Losing 30llbs and gaining back 7llbs means you have still lost 23llbs!! Thats not failing, thats fantastic and a great achievement!! Don't beat yourself about the last 6 weeks, its happens and now its over.

From here, just try to make each day even a small bit better than yesterday. Hopefully the following might be of some use:
    1. Tomorrow - go do one good workout that you enjoy - it can be anything that raises your heart and works up a sweat. Don't over think it, or that you don't have the motivation, or anything like that - just go do it. Honestly you'll feel great afterwards and I always found once you get that feeling again, you are more likely to eat well.
    2. For one week you could try eating to your maintenance calories, just to get started eating well and logging it.
    3. After that, don't do anything drastic in terms of cutting calories, work out your TDEE and reduce from there to a level that is sustainable - even if you lost half a pound a week, thats still 26 pounds by this time next year.
    4. If you shopping for groceries, eat something and make a list before you go if you can - you less likely to make bad choices.
    5. Also its never too late in a day to change - if you have a bad morning for example it doesn't mean the day is ruined - you can have an amazing afternoon....

Good luck!!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My social worker suggested trying something new to regain your focus.
    After I fell off the wagon I focused on not snacking between meals. It forced me to focus on designing my meals and gave me a good reason to say "no". So I suggest that!
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you guys are amazing and so motivational! thank you so much... woke up this morning with a renewed determination and breakfast and lunch are packed! thank you to everyone... these boards are the best!