Over on fat under on calories

Options
While this is not typical, today I had 14 grams EXTRA of fat while still going 100 short on calories. This is bugging me and I can't fit in a work out today. I know plain and simple I should have ate better BUT. will this affect my weight loss for the week? Or should it still be okay.

Replies

• meganelizabetho
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if you don't make it a habit it's probably not a huge deal :)
    Lately my fat has been a little higher, but I've also done some extra walking so it's balancing out
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    1 nutrient over goal for 1 day isn't going to ruin your life. Put it behind you and move on! :bigsmile:
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today....and it was because I ate 2 things I normally wouldn't.....pizza and a doughnut. I was over by like, 8 grams, and still have hundreds of calories to go! *ugh!*

I think as long as it isnt habit, you will be fine :) Who knows, maybe the little 'fat boost' may help once in awhile.
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    More and more evidence is coming out that total fat intake is not really that important. There have been several books published about the switch in paradigm from the "carbs are the enemy" idea of the old world to about 50 years of this goofy idea that carbs are our friends because they allow us to get rid of fat (which actually is not nearly as important in the development of atherosclerosis and heart disease as we used to think), back to the idea that carbs are really the issue after all again. Look at people on the Atkins, South Beach, Zone diets... etc - they eat much higher amounts of fat and actually improve their lipid profiles and lose weight. As long as your calories are where they are supposed to be, then there has been no foul. Relax. :)
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Fat is not unhealthy. In fact eating a greater percentage of fat will help you lose weight, and allow you to feel more satiated. Sugar is what you need to avoid!

Valuable talk about the negative effects of sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • lhillegass
    Options
    You need fat to carry nutrients to your body. If you have too many fat calories you will limit your ability to consume the necessary vitamins & minerals so you have to limit the fat. That said, a calorie is a calorie & it will not affect your weight loss. I say pop a multivitamin and smile!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 40-80+ grams of fat daily. I watch the carbs and the sugar and the calories. I have been consistently losing.

Fat is an essential part of the diet. It's become an unfortunate whipping boy.
  • KyleJCooper
    KyleJCooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Agree with crowhorse. The unfortunate common name for triglycerides being "FAT" (a word people obviously associate with ugliness and being out of shape) has made it a scapegoat in the nutrition world.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary...my macros are reverse of what the site recommends. I'm maxxing protien, with fats next, and carbs the lowest.

I lose weight every week.

My fats ARE healthy though...as a disclaimer.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over on protein, fiber, and occasionally fat when I actually eat meat and dairy. I try to make healthy fat choices, but sometimes I just want a steak. :-P Or bacon, which was the case last night. Fat isn't what made me overweight.