Weighing in different rooms & its not the same #

Options
why is my weight different in different rooms of the house!? I'm so upset about this I don't know what my weight is now ugh ;(

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your floor isn't flat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Poltergeist :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your floor isn't flat.

This.

Pick one room and weigh yourself there. Don't worry about the number being higher/lower in the bathroom vs kitchen vs living room.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Moving the scale will change how it reads. Different scales will read differently. Your weight will fluctuate during the day depending on how much food and water are in your system and when you last went to the bathroom .

The exact number of your weight is impossible to know. It's a range. The important thing is the difference over time if you're trying to change your weight. Pick a place to leave the scale and weigh in the morning after using the bathroom before eating or drinking and don't sweat the small changes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You burned calories picking up the scale and carrying it into another room.

Seriously though...your weight is NEVER one constant number (well...ok for one millisecond it probably it)...it is constantly fluctuating up and down.

People put far too much emphasis on what number shows on a scale at any given point in time.

Reframe your thinking...your "weight" is what the scale shows, on average, over the long term. Depending on what your goals are (weight loss, weight gain, maintenance etc) you should judge your progress toward those goals based on that long-term trend - not any one snapshot at a particular point in time. There are infinite variables that can affect that single data point.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You need to be weighing at the same time of the day and on a flat surface :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It is very well known that the earth's gravitational field varies by geographical location.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Weight at the same time of day in the same place with the same clothes (I prefer naked to make it easier).
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Along with not being flat (I can hardly find a spot in my house where the scale doesn't wobble!), I think some "hard" floors have more give than others. The linoleum in my kitchen weighs heavier than the linoleum in the bathroom. (I usually weigh in the bathroom. :P )
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Different flooring and possibly not a great scale.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Also could be a different temp!

Scooby has a cool video about this :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You're not using enough rooms. Weigh yourself in twelve different rooms. Add the numbers together and divide by twelve. This will give you an average weight. If you don't have enough rooms in your house take your scale to your neighbors house and ask if you can use their rooms.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    why is my weight different in different rooms of the house!? I'm so upset about this I don't know what my weight is now ugh ;(

Pick 1 room and weigh yourself there... kind of crazy if you are picking up the scale and moving around room to room to see the difference... a bit too obsessed
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    You're not using enough rooms. Weigh yourself in twelve different rooms. Add the numbers together and divide by twelve. This will give you an average weight. If you don't have enough rooms in your house take your scale to your neighbors house and ask if you can use their rooms.
    Lmao you're terrible :D

Like everyone else has suggested it's best to weigh at the same time everyday under the same conditions (clothes, having used the restroom, before eating, etc.) Try not to freak out, it's natural for weight to fluctuate, I know it can be hard for some (myself included) to not let the scale effect their head but it's not worth ruining your day over, you can do it! :)

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

OMG! I'm cracking up!
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in exactly the same spot. In fact, it's the exact bathroom tile. Never move it.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can move the scale around in the same bathroom and it will be different. If one of the feet is hitting the grout line in the bathroom floor tiles it will be off. So I just make sure that all the feet are square on a tile. Every scale is different and even each room may be different because of the flooring. Just weigh yourself at the same time of day and keep the scale in the same spot. The number may be a few pounds off from another scale (Drs office or gym for example) but the difference in the numbers on YOUR scale (or where you weigh regularly) is what matters.

I was up at my parents last weekend and while I was eating well and not going over my goal, but I was weighing in at over 2 lbs more than my scale at home. But when I came back home to my scale, I had a loss! :smiley: Pick one scale and place for it and go by that.
  • neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

You're mean
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would find the room with the lowest reading and leave the scale there for all time. XD (not kidding. I really would)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    this is why you weigh at the same time, in the same clothes (or none) on the same scale.