anyone else not eat hfcs???

Options
Today was my first day not eating it. It was also grocery shopping day & everything I bought was hfcs free. I did alot of research & found a bunch of substitutes so im not missing out on the things I love :) I am hoping it helps with my energy. I first talked with my doctor before starting this and he feels as though it will help my body so I wont feel sluggish anymore as long as I keep exercising as well. :bigsmile:

Those of you who do eat hfcs please do not reply to this post bashing me, this my choice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I cut it out about a year ago and have SO much more energy. I also discovered that food without it just tastes BETTER. Another benefit is that I crave sweets a lot less now that I don't eat it.

Good for you!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything with it in. Not particularly intentionally, I just have never eaten the kind of foods than contain it. Well done on your decision!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a smart move. I eat as clean as possible and I can honestly say my energy level has increased tremendously. Not only that but my skin has cleared up as well.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    What is hfcs?
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Cutting out ALL added sugars will make a huge difference in your health and weight loss. HFCS is a great start!

Valuable talk on sugars in our diet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    What is hfcs?

High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I cut it out about 2.5 years ago. It was difficult at first because it's in EVERYTHING! Ketchup, bread, jelly, cereal, pancake syrup, applesauce, nutrigrain bars, I could go on and on and on! Grocery shopping would take hours because I'd have to read every single label before it went into my cart. Now, for the most part, I know what has it and what doesn't, and it's easy. The thing is, when I accidentally buy something with it in it, it tastes gross! My whole family feels that way, even if they aren't aware the item has hfcs. We have gotten to the point where we don't even like to go out to dinner, because it just tastes bad. I don't know that I"ve noticed any difference in how I feel, but food sure tastes better without it.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've completely eliminated it, because I know some of the foods I buy (mainly breads) have some in it. I have made conscious efforts to not consume it like I had in the past (no sodas, more natural breads, more fresh produce and raw meats...), and I don't miss it. If I crave, and mean really crave, a soda, I look for a natural sugar sweetened one, or go by the health food store for one.

Good job on a tough change. :)
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I have eliminated it from my kids diet completely. Very hard to do. I was completely disappointed in Nutragrain bars and similar foods that are supposed to be all natural. A lot of foods will put on its package if it is HFCS free. You will never miss it. Sadly, I eat a few things with it in the food, but not many.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Why is it so hard to eliminate? I can't think of a single food item I buy that has it in.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Why is it so hard to eliminate? I can't think of a single food item I buy that has it in.

Go in your fridge and pantry right now I you will find it everywhere. I am seriously thinking about eliminating it from my diet
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

It is added to almost everything, and most people really don't have the time to cook everything from scratch. Corn is a cheap filler.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I am paying CLOSE ATTENTION to what foods it's in, and deliberately avoid it if at all possible- even if that means spending a little more $ . Even my Hunt's ketchup now comes in a natural form withOUT it, so I'm making my own Catalina dressing.
    It's in just about every item- because it's cost effective for the food manufacturers- sweeter than sugar- takes less in the production- and preserves the shelf life of the food item>>>>>>>which is why it started being used so much.

I picked up a book , The Sugar Fix by Richard J. Johnson, MD- Good reading- quite enlightening.
    They claim that even though the chemical compositions of HFCS and natural sugar are the same, the body does NOT process it the same way...and it is what causes the greatest am't of visceral (belly) fat- which is a big culprit in the onset of diabetes, high blood pressure, GI issues, ect.
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We gave it up in my house as well. I had no idea that they put it in absolutely everything! It's ridiculous, I can't even find regular cough syrup without it - I have to buy the "diabetic" syrup to avoid it.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid it as much as possible. I think it's interesting that they are actually spending money on commercials touting that HFCS is "corn sugar". If you have to make commercials trying to change people's minds, there must be a reason to stay away, far away.
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid it as much as possible. I think it's interesting that they are actually spending money on commercials touting that HFCS is "corn sugar". If you have to make commercials trying to change people's minds, there must be a reason to stay away, far away.

These were my exact thoughts when I started seeing those commercials pop up. I love the SNL skit that makes fun of those commercials though, so funny!