This salad IS a meal...

Options
I just have to say...it really pisses me off when I go to Subway for a salad and the SKINNY girl behind the counter wants to go skimpy on the vegetables. I mean really, this salad is gonna be my dinner so LOAD IT ON! She tries to give me 3 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers and a sprinkling of bell peppers. When I ask her for more she acts like its a chore. If its that much of a chore then maybe you shouldn't be working here. I hate people who don't know how to provide customer service. I just really needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for letting me rant. :wink:

Replies

• jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I would just make your own yummy salad at home :)
  • westielover1
    westielover1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    that really helps doesnt it just to vent. and i agree. let me guess she was probably chewing gum too!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, they are told exactly how many slices of cucumber, tomato, etc to put on.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I just went to subway last weekend and I walk up and the girl says "what can I get you"

I told her "a 6" on honey oat"

She goes "a 12"?"

I said "No, a 6" will do just fine...thanks"

She said "are you sure?...this ones bigger?"

I said "Yes, I'm sure 6" is just fine thanks"

She said "Oh heheh I'm just kidding"

I was so angry I could have cried. Just because I'm big doesn't mean I'm gonna eat a 12" sandwich and the fact that you wanna stuff it down my throat just makes me wanna punch you in your face and show you how much more fit inside I am than you. Oh I was so angry!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I just went to subway last weekend and I walk up and the girl says "what can I get you"

She goes "a 12"?"

I was so angry I could have cried. Just because I'm big doesn't mean I'm gonna eat a 12" sandwich and the fact that you wanna stuff it down my throat just makes me wanna punch you in your face and show you how much more fit inside I am than you. Oh I was so angry!

In that case I probably would've told her manager. That kind of behavior is just uncalled for and unprofessional.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I worked at Subway and I can say, we are told to use the same amount of veggies on a salad as we would on a six inch sub.

HOWEVER, if the customer asks for more, we are to do so gladly so while I can defend her original "skimp" of veggies, her attitude is inexcusable. I worked at Subway and McDonalds simultaneously for 2 months and Subway was always the later shift. After 12 hours of working, I still managed a smile on my face and friendly chit-chat with customers.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options

She goes "a 12"?"

I understand that I wasn't there, but I have the feeling you are reading into that too much. I work in customer service, and joke with my customers like that, but never would I do it in a derogatory way. It didn't sound to me like she was picking on you for your size; just playing around. But, like I said, I wasn't there, and I don't know. Either way, the most fit you can be inside is to have the ability to not take things like that personally. :-)
  • Flwrsme
    Flwrsme Posts: 39
    Options
    I worked at Subway and I can say, we are told to use the same amount of veggies on a salad as we would on a six inch sub.

HOWEVER, if the customer asks for more, we are to do so gladly so while I can defend her original "skimp" of veggies, her attitude is inexcusable. I worked at Subway and McDonalds simultaneously for 2 months and Subway was always the later shift. After 12 hours of working, I still managed a smile on my face and friendly chit-chat with customers.

mcdonalds and subway simutaneously??? wow...you deserve some kind of medal for that! :)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

She goes "a 12"?"

I understand that I wasn't there, but I have the feeling you are reading into that too much. I work in customer service, and joke with my customers like that, but never would I do it in a derogatory way. It didn't sound to me like she was picking on you for your size; just playing around. But, like I said, I wasn't there, and I don't know. Either way, the most fit you can be inside is to have the ability to not take things like that personally. :-)

I guess it was a had to be there kind of situation, her tone and her eyes when she realized she was in the wrong...then subsequently saying "I'm just kidding" so I wasn't upset. She didn't "joke around" with my mother who is smaller than myself for a larger sandwich. She also didn't with the men that were behind us...only myself and I was bigger than them.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    i was told by a manager one time that you can always ask for more, that they are supposed to make it how you like it. most of the time they don't seem to mind, but i have had a few ppl act like it's horrible that i'm asking for more spinach. i have them load my sub with spinach.
  • XtinaRocks
    XtinaRocks Posts: 24
    Options
    Yeah I used to go to Subway but then they built a Saladworks near me and I'm addicted!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, but why go to Subway at all? I can't imagine ever being hungry enough to want to go in. All fast food places are the same, deep down.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    i don't trust a fast food place like Subway to make a salad good enough to fill me. For starters their lettuce is crap. it's what shredded iceburg? No flavor and next to no nutritional value. Then as you mention they want to nickel and dime you for every little thing. I'd rather go to the market once a week or every 2 weeks and buy my own product. A few minutes in the kitchen and I have everything chopped and separated in tupperware for easy grab and go salads at home. I also make my own dressing so I don't have hidden sugar, sodium and chemicals. It's easier, healthier and I don't to deal with some lazy 16 year old who can;t be bothered to make me a salad that a grownup can live on.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

She goes "a 12"?"

I would have laid that chick out like carpet and then written to corporate.
  • supramkii
    supramkii Posts: 1
    Options
    I worked at subway and togo's for about 2 years.
    If you get a salad you can get as much veggies as you want.
    You just have to deal with the eye rolling and sighs.
    just keep saying, More More.
    Hell, you even get extra on the side, "Can i get some extra tomoates in a bag?"
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, but why go to Subway at all? I can't imagine ever being hungry enough to want to go in. All fast food places are the same, deep down.

While this is partially true, Subway does have some good options if you need a quick meal. I get turkey breast on honey oat with no cheese and loads of veggies (but mostly spinach). However, if you are on a diet, do not order the tuna. A lot of people assume because it is fish, its healthy but when they prep it they use REAL mayo, not light mayo and they put a ton in. It is probably one of the worst items on the menu for you. Same with chicken or seafood salad. Their website has all the nutritional info so if you want it as an option, you can figure out what to get now and not have to pay for it if you're in a bind and need something good to eat.

I work in fast food, which is the hardest thing to do when living a healthy lifestyle, but you CAN eat healthy at those places if you can resist fattier temptations. At McDonalds, I eat the fruit and maple oatmeal. It has a lot of sugar, but you can get it without the brown sugar and its 260 calories, 32 grams of whole grains, super filling and really delicious. Much better for you than one of the salads, even with grilled chicken and low fat dressing and you can get it all day. Plus, I counteract it by biking to and from work every day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    There are two things people in retail are always trained to do. Never put more than the recommended amount of a food item on something unless it's requested and to upsell.

To me, the two stories told here just sound like fills doing these things. Yes, maybe the first girl didn't have the best attitude when adding more, but she was doing what she was probably told many, many, many times to do when making the initial salad. And the second girl just sounds like she was doing a bad version of a soft sell upsell. I often did that since I was usually uncomfortable trying to do a hard sell upsell. Rather than just asking straight up if someone wanted a bag of chips or something from our deli case I'd do it in that same roundabout manner. Joking with the customer to see if I could get them to go ahead and add on another item or two.

For the first girl, I'd have just given her my own big smile, thanked her for adding the requested extras and told her to have a good night. Sometime's it's amazing what hearing that from a customer can do for a retail clerk. And for the second girl, I wouldn't take any offense from it. Sadly, it's possible that you ended up making her feel bad for simply trying to do her version of an upsell when it's most likely she meant no offense at all.