Childhood fun as exercise today!

Options
I'm always switching up my exercise routine to keeps things interesting. I recently bought a hula hoop and have been having a great time practising! It was difficult at first, but then I got the hang of it. I put on some music and the time just slipped by. I then started thinking about what other activities I used to do as a child. I remembered jumping on my Uncle's mini trampoline. Last night, I went to Walmart and found one for $40. My husband assembled it and I was ready to go. I felt like tigger bouncing away! I'm excited to create a circuit for myself incorporating the hula hoop, trampoline, and weights. I also found a 30 minute Tracy Anderson workout on youtube that shows different exercises on the trampoline. If you're bored with your regular workout, consider purchasing a hula hoop and/or a mini trampoline. Next up for me will be a skipping rope!

Replies

• kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i do the hoola hoop on the wii fit and it does give a good burn and tires me out!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I always was rubbish at hula hoop, but I keep seeing them in the shops, and I know one of these days I'll end up bringing one home "for my daughter." We also have a large trampoline in the garden "for the kids," which I absolutely love bouncing around on with them. I'm certainly always up for a good game of tag as well!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I WANT a hula hoop!

Let's go play tag! I'll bet 30 minutes of good old-fashioned tag would be a great way to work in some intervals... LOL
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i do the hoola hoop on the wii fit and it does give a good burn and tires me out!

Me too!! I love it!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    A bunch of co-workers and I were just talking about this just the other day! I'm buying a bicycle pump this weekend and pulling my bike out of the shed. I actually stopped and looked at hoola hupes the other day and thought that would make a great addition but didn't buy it because I wondered if my daughter might already have one laying around somewhere. Do you remember lemon drop (you attach it to your ankle and swing it around and jump over with the other foot), Chinese jump rope? Keep posting new ideas as you think of them... Good Post!!!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love to hoola hoop, could do it forever! I even have a weighted one though I haven't used it in a while.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    A bunch of co-workers and I were just talking about this just the other day! I'm buying a bicycle pump this weekend and pulling my bike out of the shed. I actually stopped and looked at hoola hupes the other day and thought that would make a great addition but didn't buy it because I wondered if my daughter might already have one laying around somewhere. Do you remember lemon drop (you attach it to your ankle and swing it around and jump over with the other foot), Chinese jump rope? If you get a set of flipers and face goggles you can swim like a speedboat (as my kids would say). Keep posting new ideas as you think of them... Good Post!!!
  • sahlah
    sahlah Posts: 52
    Options
    We like to play frisbee. It is something anyone can do regaurdless of activity level.
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just thought of another fun childhood toy that is great exercise. A pogo ball! I had one as a kid and loved it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Heck yeah, it does! Just make sure your husband is not close by with the video camera!! :explode:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm always switching up my exercise routine to keeps things interesting. I recently bought a hula hoop and have been having a great time practising! It was difficult at first, but then I got the hang of it. I put on some music and the time just slipped by. I then started thinking about what other activities I used to do as a child. I remembered jumping on my Uncle's mini trampoline. Last night, I went to Walmart and found one for $40. My husband assembled it and I was ready to go. I felt like tigger bouncing away! I'm excited to create a circuit for myself incorporating the hula hoop, trampoline, and weights. I also found a 30 minute Tracy Anderson workout on youtube that shows different exercises on the trampoline. If you're bored with your regular workout, consider purchasing a hula hoop and/or a mini trampoline. Next up for me will be a skipping rope!

I bought a hula hoop years ago for working out but never got into it until my grandson found it last year and wanted to know what it was. I showed him and we had fun all summer with that thing. He can out hula me for sure tho! :laugh:

My daughters just roll their eyes at me every time I suggest it, but I would love to find a hippity hop in adult size.
  • flausa
    Options
    Do you remember lemon drop (you attach it to your ankle and swing it around and jump over with the other foot),

Oh, I loved those! Forget the hula hoop, I'm gonna find and buy a lemon drop instead. Oh, and <tag> - you're it!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You know how kids are drawn to running up and down hills..well there's your exercise with no equipment..other than finding a hill of course!

I also loved the lemon drop thing, trying to roller skate on the sidewalk which always seemed to be cracked or lifting up somewhere...and swinging is good for the legs especially if you have a toddler on your lap!
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great thoughts everyone! Hopscotch is another fun activity!
  • flausa
    Options
    This morning my family and I have been having egg and spoon races. The kids are still little (age 5 and 2), so we actually use a toy set. Keeping ourselves moving together while being silly. :happy: