Raw (ish).... What are your favorite ways to make fruit salads, veggie salads, green smoothies, etc

Options
Decided my challenge for this coming Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon - Raw(ish).
So not totally going raw but want the vast majority of food to be raw or just barely cooked.
Ideas of your favorite fruits, veggies, etc while keeping it semi low-carb and clean?
How do you like to make a fruit salad, what is your favorite veggie salad?

What goes into your green smoothie?

I will be eating some cooked meals to get my protein...
Thought is Friday night a good seared tuna steak (gotta find the high quality good pieces)
Saturday night a nice medium rare grass fed steak.
No clue for Sunday - thoughts?
Monday - get some Sushi... it includes rice the way I will get it unless I can go by a place that has the cucumber rolls but even so, I am not going to be stressed on being super strict.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

Can I ask why you have chosen to eat mainly raw foods?
    As long as you are getting a calorie deficit, you don't have to eat only raw foods - it's not necessary.
    However, if you are choosing to eat raw foods purely because you want to, I'm sure there are LOADS of online articles that can give you some brilliant recipes! :)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies and have one 2 or so times a week for breakfast. Mine isn't specifically low carb but you can make substitutions if you want. I use: 1 frozen banana; 3/4 cup ff milk; 1/2 cup ff plain Greek yogurt; 1 Tbsp PB2; 1 Tbsp vanilla pudding mix; 1/2 bag baby spinach; ice. So good and lots of protein!

I always keep fruit salad on hand in the summer and usually toss in whatever I'm in the mood for. I like it with apples, watermelon, grapes, mandarin oranges and bananas. Sometimes mango if I feel like cutting it up.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ...Ideas of your favorite fruits, veggies, etc while keeping it semi low-carb ...

Define semi-low carb.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Get a vitamix or other really good blender.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can try a zoodle based meal - warmed with a fresh sauce like pesto or raw tomato sauce.
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    Options
    I can't do green smoothies. My taste buds detect the kale/spinach and they make me gag. I like making big bowls of fruit salads to use throughout the week (with pineapple, kiwi, apples, mango, grapes, oranges, and berries). It's not raw but homemade sushi is amazing. I stick to nori, sushi rice, and cucumber with a little pickled ginger on the side because I'm not comfortable with eating raw fish - it lasts about a week in the fridge, perfect for school/work. I also like rice wraps (rice wrap, romaine lettuce, avacado, shredded carrots, a little crab meat) w/sweet chili sauce. Very easy to make and lasts a week w/refrigeration.
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

Can I ask why you have chosen to eat mainly raw foods?
    As long as you are getting a calorie deficit, you don't have to eat only raw foods - it's not necessary.
    However, if you are choosing to eat raw foods purely because you want to, I'm sure there are LOADS of online articles that can give you some brilliant recipes! :)

I will totally fail at this unless I keep myself somewhat challenged (mentally especially) in following a diet... it can't become routine. So, I decided to just spice it up with different "Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon" focuses. I am still watching calories and macros but also trying to learn about new/different foods, new/different eating techniques... in the process I find out more about what my body might want/need or dislike, I get to try new foods, and I also am not doing the same ole same ole routine.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My usual salad is just sliced carrots, chopped tomatoes, sliced & peeled cucumbers, chopped bell pepper, a few black pitted olives, a few torn up romaine leaves, a bunch of fresh parsley, salt, pepper and a splash or two of apple cider vinegar. Then I shake that all up and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. So yummy. Sometimes right before I eat it, I'll add some pepitas, too. It tastes like summer to me. :)
  • DebJ618
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    ...Ideas of your favorite fruits, veggies, etc while keeping it semi low-carb ...

Define semi-low carb.

Nothing more than 30g of carbs in the meal/smoothie/etc.
    I know it is super easy to do a LOT of salad and still be under which is :D awesome.

Basically - no croutons lol
  • DebJ618
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Get a vitamix or other really good blender.

I take a multi (well 1/3 of the 3 big pills that equal a dose) daily but the well... bladder effects get annoying and the fact is I know it is much healthier to get vitamins and nutrients from whole, natural, organic sources....

I am familiar with carrots (eat them daily), tomato (daily), cucumber and/or zucchini (daily), and celery (daily)... but to be honest I haven't really went beyond that. Sure green lettuce or spinach for the salad part but I want new experiences...
    I would like to feel that the vitamin really is "security" and not "necessary"

Thus I figure in doing a "raw-ish" challenge I will find a lot more ways to get in those healthy foods.
  • DebJ618
    Options
    I can't do green smoothies. My taste buds detect the kale/spinach and they make me gag. I like making big bowls of fruit salads to use throughout the week (with pineapple, kiwi, apples, mango, grapes, oranges, and berries). It's not raw but homemade sushi is amazing. I stick to nori, sushi rice, and cucumber with a little pickled ginger on the side because I'm not comfortable with eating raw fish - it lasts about a week in the fridge, perfect for school/work. I also like rice wraps (rice wrap, romaine lettuce, avacado, shredded carrots, a little crab meat) w/sweet chili sauce. Very easy to make and lasts a week w/refrigeration.

I have some rice wraps that I bought not long ago but ... yeah there must be a trick to using them... one turned to total mush and the other stuck to itself.
    I like the idea of the rice wraps. Rice paper is low carb and it is a nice little "package."

Thanks, hadn't thought about that.

Yeah... the kale and such kinda get me but then I have heard you can get accustomed to the flavor....
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Define semi-low carb.

I know it is super easy to do a LOT of salad and still be under which is :D awesome.

Veggies have carbs.
  • WBB55
    Options

Define semi-low carb.

Ah. My favorite raw meal is spiralized zucchini (or sweet potatoes or turnips or all three -- or use a vegetable slicer to slice them into linguine-like strips) in a tomato and basil sauce. Let this sit for an hour or so to blend flavors and soften the veggies a little. Top with nutritional yeast. If you live with someone who wants it cooked, nuke it for a few minutes to heat it for them. Basically, raw spaghetti salad.
  • DebJ618
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Define semi-low carb.

Veggies have carbs.

Yes they do have carbs... but in comparison to breads, pastas, wheat, etc they also have good amounts of fiber. You can eat a full cup of spinach and that is only I think 1-1.5 g of carb.
    Cucumbers.... a half cup is maybe 2g

So yes they have carbs but it takes a lot of veggies to get to 30g for a meal.
    Fruit is greater but say blueberries have 21g in a cup but to be honest a cup is a LOT of blueberries.

Plus that is the total carb not subtracting fiber from it.
  • halofan4life
    halofan4life Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • DebJ618
    Options
    Hey! I'm one of those guys. Lost 150. Put 55 back on over 3+ years. I had to adjust to life with a kid and stopped logging. Don't stop logging and using MFP. I intend to use a tool like this for the rest of my life.

I lost 80+ on paleo but gained back 30-40 with new guy, new living arrangements, etc... now needing to get that 40 off (30 now) and the additional 35 that I never lost.
  • DebJ618
    Options

Define semi-low carb.

Ah. My favorite raw meal is spiralized zucchini (or sweet potatoes or turnips or all three -- or use a vegetable slicer to slice them into linguine-like strips) in a tomato and basil sauce. Let this sit for an hour or so to blend flavors and soften the veggies a little. Top with nutritional yeast. If you live with someone who wants it cooked, nuke it for a few minutes to heat it for them. Basically, raw spaghetti salad.

Now that sounds DELICIOUS and the type of ideas I hadn't thought of.
    Thank you!
  • WBB55
    edited September 2015
    Options

Define semi-low carb.

Now that sounds DELICIOUS and the type of ideas I hadn't thought of.
    Thank you!

I have a thing like this (http://www.gefu.com/uploads/tx_pbproductgallery/13410_1_01.jpg) that makes spiral cut (or ribbon cut or au gratin cut) veggies for raw meals, salads and homemade sushi.

Edit to add: forgot, rutabaga can also be spiralized and eaten like spaghetti. The trick to all these raw veggies as spaghetti is lots and lots and lots of herbs and spices (and topped with nutritional yeast and/or liquid amino acids don't hurt either).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can try a zoodle based meal - warmed with a fresh sauce like pesto or raw tomato sauce.

I already posted, but I thought I'd share the Rawmazing.com website. So many great ideas.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

I take a multi (well 1/3 of the 3 big pills that equal a dose) daily but the well... bladder effects get annoying and the fact is I know it is much healthier to get vitamins and nutrients from whole, natural, organic sources....

I am familiar with carrots (eat them daily), tomato (daily), cucumber and/or zucchini (daily), and celery (daily)... but to be honest I haven't really went beyond that. Sure green lettuce or spinach for the salad part but I want new experiences...
    I would like to feel that the vitamin really is "security" and not "necessary"

Thus I figure in doing a "raw-ish" challenge I will find a lot more ways to get in those healthy foods.

Vitamix, not vitamin. It's a high end blender brand. It's what Starbucks uses for its frozen desserts.