Getting back into exercise - anyone else?

Options
Hi there

I need to get fit and back into shape after 18 months AWOL. I used to be on here a lot, ran or exercised 5 times a week. I used to really enjoy distance running and have ran several half marathons. When I wasn't running, I was in the gym. However, life has got in the way and 18 months ago I just fell out love with running, two days off turned into 20 and so on....

Now I'm back, 30 pounds heavier and wandering how on earth to get my mojo back. I know the only solution is to get back out there, but I'm finding it a bit daunting starting from zero.

Anyone else in the same boat? or been there done that?

Would appreciate your advice, tips or success stories to help me get started.

Thanks, Lady Mabel x

Replies

• dmillz89
    dmillz89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You're only one day away from being back on track. Honestly you have to just do it. Start with making sure you do some sort of exercise activity for even just 15 minutes every day until you get back into the routine. Then you can start worrying about specifics.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I had a baby break, and then before I could get back to it, another baby break, so before I knew it 2 years had passed and I'd forgotten what it was like to exercise.
    I started back at the gym 5 months ago, and it was like falling in love all over again. Possibly I fell even harder, because now I've taken up running too, and I get so excited about my workout time. Some of that is probably because it's so nice to have me-time, but I had really forgotten how much I loved being fit and working out.
    It really didn't take long to rekindle the love, I felt it after my first Attack class, and it's just grown and grown. I'm certain it'll happen for you too. Maybe it won't be as instant as mine was, but once you start improving, you'll be running on air.
  • xBijinx
    xBijinx Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise six times a week at least. Five of those days was both in a gym and on a track. Then I went on an unexpected hiatus and now it's hard to get back into it. I keep asking myself "where do I start?" And "what do I start with?". During my downtime I learned I have sciatica and something as simple as the treadmill can leave me in pain.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post! I am the same way. Ran 4 half marathons and a slew of 5ks, then my wife got pregnant, we moved twice, I had knee surgery and then sinus surgery, and suddenly I hadn't been running regularly for two years. Now I'm back into it (slowly).

What's working well for me is following specific plans. I am doing the beginner plan on "You are your own gym" for cross training, and I am following an "advanced fat burning plan" on Runkeeper. The Runkeeper plan is mainly structured around "run for a 1/2 hr" or "do 2x10min intervals with 5 min warm up/cool down" type things every other day. I picked it less for the name and more because it was a well-rounded plan that didn't focus on a specific race distance and was more based around getting my endurance back.

And take it from me: check your ego at the door. It was hard to realize that I couldn't just jump back in at my old paces, but your body will remember what it was like to run and after a few weeks you'll feel better!
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yup, I had my second baby four months ago. It was a difficult pregnancy that left me with some health problems and I've had to start completely from scratch with exercise. I was only doing walking for the first three months and have now begun to do resistance bases or circuit training dvds at home. It's not been easy but I'm getting there.
  • Lady_mabel
    Lady_mabel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. Kate - I'm so hoping I find the love again quickly :smile: I've decided to commit to exercise every day, even if its just a short walk, hopefully that will keep me on track with the eating and logging too. Actually enjoyed my 30 minute walk/ run today, fingers crossed the next one feels as good.