Why does it bother me so much? Vent alert

Options
I got some pictures back from my engagement party and all I can say is I wish I looked smaller. Yes, the dress was too big and I know another inch or two could have been taken away from the fabric in my midsection. I guess I just look at it and feel gross. I don't know why I am so upset by a few pictures. When I look at myself in the mirror with clothes on or without I am happy with how I look. I know I want to lose more but seeing these pictures made me think of how bad I look right now. I mean I went from being 195 to now I am around 173ish and at 5'7 I have a lot of muscle. This might have something to do with the fact I have just been having a bad week and eaten out for dinner 5 times this week and just been dressed. Sorry I guess I needed to Vent. any encouraging words would be great.

Replies

• spr_chkn
    spr_chkn Posts: 48
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I have good confidence when I look in the mirror, but I'm not very photogenic at all. In pictures I look like a cow even though I remember when the picture was being taken I felt really good :grumble: It's not very fair. Anyhow, chin up, you're a beautiful girl! :flowerforyou:
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Girl, I know what you mean... I just got my yearbook from school and I had so many bad pictures of me in there... I looked... well... really overweight :( I mean at that time I was easily 189 x_x... but I'm down to 176... and I feel like I look the same from that picture still, I like to believe I look different, but when people saw it they didn't say anything about me lookin' smaller from the picture so I felt really gross with myself as well... it's just one of those things I told myself that it'll take so much time till I'm happy with myself, which is my real goal in the end.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me. I went from 197 to 181 and i felt so gross. I kept thinking "man, if i look this bad now, i must have looked horrible before" just gotta push through. stay focused. you can do it!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I hate having my picture taken. I'm not photogenic at all. Let's not forget that the camera adds an extra 10 lbs. Darn those cameras! I think you look great, tho! Congrats on your engagement. :flowerforyou:
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, We girls just have to stick together and remember that anyone can be beautiful to matter what size or shape they are.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You know what, I've had a weird week too. Last week I was so happy and on a high because my weight loss seemed very visible and I was checking myself out in mirrors and any shiny surface I could get near, but this week I felt bloated and round in the face, and I've felt a little "Hmmm... why do I bother?"

You may just be having a bad week and chances are you will look at those photos again and say "actually, I look pretty good"

We can get very caught up and in love with the transforming figure in front of us that we think it's going to change every millisecond, but actually, it's a living breathing thing and it does look a little different now and again... sure you'll feel fine if not tomorrow but in a few days time.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have lost 29 lbs since Jan 14 - I started to get serious at the begining of the year after seeing some christmas pictures - I looked like butt. All big and round red face, gut hanging out in way too tight clothes (all my clothes were just too tight, busting out of them). I thought something must change, and yes - it has, I feel better for the most part I mean I've lost almost 30 lbs and I am def. healthier - but I'll catch myself in the mirror and still feel pretty disgusting. Pictures, same thing - at the time I feel great, like this is going to be an awesome picture because I've lost weight - but I am still not happy with my size.

Just think though, by this time next year - if we keep it up, where we will be. Hugs.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We've all been there... Look at it as motivation to keep going in your journey! You have done so well, and there will always be room for improvement. When I first ordered my wedding dress I was significantly heavier and hated the way I looked in the dress in pictures. I tried the dress on again this weekend and took a pic and was still unhappy. I noticed my arms weren't defined enough, and my face still had a double chin. Once I looked back on the heavier pic I felt BETTER about my appearance, but still not thrilled. Pictures are a good way to gauge if you're where you want to be. The goal is to look at pics and be HAPPY that it's you! It's all part of our journey :D