What to add to oatmeal that is quick & 100 calories

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I loved adding bananas to my oatmeal because it's quick, you just peel and throw it into oatmeal, no cutting required and it is filling.
But I've realized bananas give me horrible heartburn. (Strange I know)
What is a good replacement? Something easy to throw in?

Replies

• juliusgiron
    juliusgiron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Peanut butter!

Yummy but too many calories vs quantity.
    1 banana=100 calories but it is large, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is so little quantity but has about 100 calories.
    Ugh wish i could continue eating bananas
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Any frozen fruit (I like blueberries). Protein powder or PB2 (or the real thing if you've got the calories). Chopped nuts, craisins, and cinnamon.

I portion my add-ins into zip-lock snack bags, that way I just dump together in the a.m.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    raisins
    cinnamon
    canned pumpkin
    frozen blueberries
    chocolate chips :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you can't do the calories of regular peanut butter, PB2 is good too. I love oatmeal. Brown sugar is a go-to for me, maybe some chopped pecans, raisins, blueberries, yogurt... The list goes on!
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Any frozen fruit (I like blueberries). Protein powder or PB2 (or the real thing if you've got the calories). Chopped nuts, craisins, and cinnamon.

I portion my add-ins into zip-lock snack bags, that way I just dump together in the a.m.

Great ideas but unfortunately i don't like the taste/texture of frozen fruits that have been warmed. Nuts don't feel as filling and 100 calories of nuts/ peanut butter is very little quantity compared to banana :/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Peanut butter
    raisins
    cinnamon
    canned pumpkin
    frozen blueberries
    chocolate chips :)

Oooh! Canned pumpkin. I could mix it together with all the spices and freeze portions for daily breakfasts. Time to experiment.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One scoop of protein powder
    Seconded on nut butter
    Done canned pumpkin too!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds! I love the crunch
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I use walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and fruit spreads (natural low sugar jams).

For variety you can also make baked oatmeal. That is good too. You can make it once at the beginning of the week and just heat up a serving in the microwave each day. Lots of recipes online. Be careful with the ingredients you add though.

70044776.png
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!

Yummy but too many calories vs quantity.
    1 banana=100 calories but it is large, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is so little quantity but has about 100 calories.
    Ugh wish i could continue eating bananas

If you care about volume of food, ya, choose a few lower cal things to add up. But if you want protein and fat to keep you fuller longer, choose the PB or some nuts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Great ideas but unfortunately i don't like the taste/texture of frozen fruits that have been warmed. Nuts don't feel as filling and 100 calories of nuts/ peanut butter is very little quantity compared to banana :/

I mash thawed strawberries into oatmeal so there's not much texture to them.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Nerds

73zwzvzxnlvb.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I usually put raspberries or blueberries in my oatmeal. You'd need a lot for 100 calories, though. I wouldn't use frozen.

I also like including a serving of protein powder, which is 90 calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's best answered by asking you a question:

What do you LIKE in your oatmeal?

Measure out 100 calories worth of that and enjoy!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, duh!!! e'ry day!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    butter or some half and half
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I dice up apple and put in mine, with lots of cinnamon. It's delicious and gives it a little crunch.
  • chocochip13
    chocochip13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love adding a teaspoon of cocoa powder and a sprinkle of sugar. It feels like I'm indulging cause it taste so chocolaty with hardly any added calories.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    in the fall i love pumpkin pie oatmeal (pumpkin pie spices+ pumpkin) and cinnamon apple (i microwave a bunch of diced apple so it's really soft then throw it in w/ the oatmeal in the morning). gives you lots of bulk to fill you up.