Labor day menu?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
We're having family over for Labor Day... Anyone got some nice, tasty, and easy recipes?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Black eyed pea salad: black eyed peas (rinse 2 cans or cook from dried), vegetables, cilantro/parsley, small amount of oil, hot sauce. This is really pretty.

I brined pork chops for the first time this summer and with a spice rub, they were amazing.

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    A 'make your own' baked potato station with toppings like Greek yogurt, salsa, black beans, green onions, bacon bits etc...
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Watermelon Orzo Salad.. super simple but I love it. I also toast some slivered almonds and toss them in, and sometimes do halved grapes instead of watermelon.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=148321
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I bought 12 whole chickens on sale 69 cents a pound so will toss a few on the grill whatever is left I'll put it in salads. Maybe roast butternut squash and coliflower mashed potatoes.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Bump
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What type of dishes are looking for? Picnic/outdoor eating type foods? Fancy sit-down dinner? One dish meal? Other?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Just casual lunch with my brother in law's family. Will be some grilling involved I'm guessing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how about grilled pork chops, fried apples, and a green salad? Or grilled chicken, potato salad w/ vinaigrette, and some raw veggies and hummus?

Depending on whether you have room on the grill for meat and veggies, many vegetables are delicious grilled. Zucchini, carrots and asparagus are my personal favorites. Or you could make foil packets of mixed vegetables tossed with spices and put those on the grill.

Grilled fruit with yogurt, ice cream or drizzled with chocolate sauce is a tasty dessert.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Something simple with little prep is what I will be having - a shrimp boil with corn and red potatoes. Wild-caught shrimp is on sale in my neck of the woods. I usually add some mushrooms to the spicy boil along with cloves of garlic ...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ill probably drink er i mean eat at my neighbors house.

whatever he makes, it will be grilled..... lol