Advice for running in early pregnancy...

Options
I just found out I am pregnant, about 4 weeks along. I jog about every other day about 3-5 miles at an 11 minute mile pace.

Now I have looked at medical websites saying both yes and no to running while you are this early in a pregnancy, but I would really like some advice from real women who have gone through a pregnancy and decided to run or not run so early in a pregnancy. My first appointment with my Dr. is not for another 4 weeks so anything will be helpful. My goal is to keep the baby safe since I am so early.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you're a regular runner, you're probably okay to continue for the next 4 weeks before you see your doctor, but you can always call the office to see what they recommend. Usually you don't have to slow down much until the end just for scare of falling, not because exercise is unsafe.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I realize you don't have an appointment, but you should still call the doctor and ask their advice. I wouldn't risk anything by asking an internet forum for answers.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    General rule is to continue activities you do on a regular basis.

I ran my first 5k 4 days after finding out I was pregnant.

Do it until it becomes uncomfortable or scale back if you need to, unless your doctor says otherwise.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you're a regular runner, you're probably okay to continue for the next 4 weeks before you see your doctor, but you can always call the office to see what they recommend. Usually you don't have to slow down much until the end just for scare of falling, not because exercise is unsafe.

That was also the advice I received 39 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child-if you already are doing some kind of regular physical activity, you continue that activity.
    My daughter ran throughout most of her pregnancies until she felt too ungainly and then she switched to walking.
    If you feel unsure-call your doctor.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k in my 6th month with my second child-not saying that's right for everyone just letting you know that it's ok to run while pregnant.

If you have been doing regular cardio, you're fine. Congratulations, and let your ob know that you are a runner, he/she can advise you.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I realize you don't have an appointment, but you should still call the doctor and ask their advice. I wouldn't risk anything by asking an internet forum for answers.

I agree with this. Your body temperature may be important also.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Just call your doctor a leave a message asking about running. That's what I did when I got pregnant last year. I was doing more intense HIIT workouts on a regular basis so I called to ask if I could continue doing that or if I should slow it down. The doctor told me it was fine to continue and even used running as an example, saying that she ran all during her pregnancy. I made the decision for myself that I was too nervous to continue doing such high intensity work outs and switched to a lower impact work out, but not for any reason other than my own discomfort.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Be careful, there's nothing wrong with exercising while pregnant but you have to stay hydrated and you really should not let yourself get overheated, your baby is usually up to 33 degrees hotter than you to begin with and a raise in temperature due to illness or heavy exercise can lead to developmental problems, fetal distress, or miscarriage. You don't have to stop working out but maybe pull it back a little, and if your body starts to exceed 101 degrees you need to cool down immediately. (Also avoid hot tubs) congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Please please please talk to your doctor. I ran 3 miles every day until the day I delivered when I was pregnant with my first son. Second pregnancy I tried the same thing and got sent to the emergency room at 10 weeks because I was pushing myself too hard.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Know your body....you can tell if you push yourself too hard. I did crossfit while pregnant and was fine. However I was exhausted the first trimester and took afternoon naps when I could ;')
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would contact my doctor before continuing any kind of work-out routine :)
    Congratulations!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In general, it should be perfectly safe. However, especially if this is your first pregnancy, I suggest you first talk to your dr. For most people, normal activities, including exercise, are nto only safe but also recommended during pregnancy. In some cases, there are restrictions. I was on partial bed rest the first trimester in all my pregnancies for example, and not due to pre existing health risks. Rare, but it happens.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of running early in my pregnancies, most of the time to the nearest bathroom to throw up. I remember being told that you not only could, but should, continue your normal physical activity. My last child was born 16 years ago, things may have changed since then. As others have said, make sure to stay properly hydrated and get plenty of rest.
  • rainah84
    rainah84 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call up the doctor and get advise from a professional. Personally, it won't cause any differculties in the first trimester, I had no issues with my son AND I wasn't aware of my pregnancy till I was 8weeks.