Nutrition goal and fat

Options
alyusha2
alyusha2 Posts: 16 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to edit my the amount of fat in my nutrition menu. It was set to by default;
Saturated Fat - 13g
Poly - 0g
Mono - 0g
Trans - 0g

I am under the impression that Saturated and Trans fat is bad, and Poly and Mono is good. So if I am aiming for 43g of Fat, would it be a wise idea to split it between poly and mono? EDIT: I am also under the impression that Cholesterol comes from Saturated Fat, I thought I had read somewhere that a certain amount of cholesterol was good... Am I mistaken?

Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    alyusha2 wrote: »
    I am trying to edit my the amount of fat in my nutrition menu. It was set to by default;
    Saturated Fat - 13g
    Poly - 0g
    Mono - 0g
    Trans - 0g

I am under the impression that Saturated and Trans fat is bad, and Poly and Mono is good. So if I am aiming for 43g of Fat, would it be a wise idea to split it between poly and mono?

Thanks

Most people don't bother counting sat/mono/poly from what I understand. People that do count them usually have to; personally, I wouldn't bother.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Trans (IMO) is the only bad type of fat. That one is good to keep as close to zero as you can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    alyusha2 wrote: »
    Saturated Fat - 13g
    Poly - 0g
    Mono - 0g
    Trans - 0g

I am under the impression that Saturated and Trans fat is bad, and Poly and Mono is good. So if I am aiming for 43g of Fat, would it be a wise idea to split it between poly and mono?

Doesn't make much difference. There's still some support for keeping sat fat down, so I watch mine to see that it stays around the goal or less most of the time -- also encourages me to vary my eating more. I don't pay attention to poly and mono except I know I eat many sources of fat that include them. I avoid artificial transfats.
    I am also under the impression that Cholesterol comes from Saturated Fat, I thought I had read somewhere that a certain amount of cholesterol was good... Am I mistaken?[/i]

For a minority of people sat fat leads to higher bad cholesterol. Most don't seem to respond. If you do poorly on a cholesterol test they usually have you experiment with diet to see if it responds. (My dad's responded positively when he cut out red meat and most dairy fat.)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder if you do record, the specific fat constitutes of a food are notoriously incorrect on the database or not recorded at all. You might spend most of your time entering it yourself.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just track dietary fat as a whole. Limit processed foods and avoid trans fats. Stick to whole foods.

You could eat 6 eggs a day and be fine. Don't fear cholesterol or fat. The human brain is mainly made of cholesterol and fat. Dietary fat is not what makes you fat or unhealthy... Overeating and not moving is what makes you fat. Very simple.
  • alyusha2
    alyusha2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!